Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Weird figure 8 around object knot

Has anyone tried this version of a figure 8 around an object?
    Usually the method is a figure 8 follow-through. But this seems to lock quite nicely, especially if you stick one end of the rope down through the loop then back towards you.
    Sorry the image looks really small, I can't figure out the unusual HTML / markup stuff. If you click on it it shows full size.

aAahQI3.png
    Attached Images Attached Images

How are you using this hitch?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’ve not seen this knot before. If it holds without slipping and can be untied easily after being loaded, then you have a good knot.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    How are you using this hitch?
    Hi, I haven't used it yet for anything of real weight. I'd like to hang my hammock from it though since it's so quick to do. So far just hanging my climbing rope this way in the closet.
    It's basically a regular figure 8, just initiated with passing the rope around the object. The usual loop end of the figure 8 is left unused, but I think passing the long end through there would really cinch it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’ve not seen this knot before. If it holds without slipping and can be untied easily after being loaded, then you have a good knot.
    Yeah it's a figure 8, just start by passing the doubled rope end around an object. Good point about the untying part - being a figure 8, it might not end up all that easy.
    Last edited by Bman70; 07-19-2023 at 21:23.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I’ve seen figure eight knots, many times, but not that way until now.
    It looks like a follow through figure eight encircling the staff inside one end of figure eight.
    I hope it serves its purpose.
    I’ve been using a Siberian hitch to tie to trees with tarp guylines. I always add three stitches of daisy chain to stabilize Siberian hitch.
    Daisy chain or loop through the loop, like I did as a kid, connecting rubber bands.

This hitch ties quickly, as it’s tied in the bight (in middle of rope, without need to access either end of rope)—and the fun part is when you untie it. Just pull the ripcord and whole hitch disappears!

well, this seems in the family of anchor hitches (licke the anchor hitch, or a round turn and two half hitches), like a lazy version of them, but tied on the bight, no complete turn, and no securing half hitch, and with only one strand loaded. i would be very cautious about putting any critical load on it, tbh, the problem with this kind of hitch is it tends to come undone under cyclic loading unless it is finished securely (hence the two half hitches even on the original full round turn versions). the extra twist (which makes it look like a fig8) doesn't seem to add security, but rather make it more prone to that kind of failure (but i speculate just by looking at the topology of it). i'd be very carefull with it, but it is intriguing enough i'd play with it a bit, thanks for sharing

on a side note: for the kind of purpose you seem to have in mind, perhaps a ground line hitch or some other of the miller's knot family, tied on a bight, might be interesting to look into

hmm, ok, on closer inspection, a more suitable (least confusing) way to describe it is a timber hitch on a bight, made with only one turn. in practice it does come down to that, when loaded. so would be good to look at the charachteristics and general pros and cons of the timber hitch, but again, having one strand loaded (or strands loaded separately) makes a lot of difference, even aside from the lack of extra wraps around the standing end, which is what the timber hitch relies on

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I’ve seen figure eight knots, many times, but not that way until now.
    It looks like a follow through figure eight encircling the staff inside one end of figure eight.
    I hope it serves its purpose.
    I’ve been using a Siberian hitch to tie to trees with tarp guylines. I always add three stitches of daisy chain to stabilize Siberian hitch.
    Daisy chain or loop through the loop, like I did as a kid, connecting rubber bands.

This hitch ties quickly, as it’s tied in the bight (in middle of rope, without need to access either end of rope)—and the fun part is when you untie it. Just pull the ripcord and whole hitch disappears!
    Siberian hitch sounds good, almost looks like a slipped bowline. I'll probably have to learn it.

Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    hmm, ok, on closer inspection, a more suitable (least confusing) way to describe it is a timber hitch on a bight, made with only one turn. in practice it does come down to that, when loaded. so would be good to look at the charachteristics and general pros and cons of the timber hitch, but again, having one strand loaded (or strands loaded separately) makes a lot of difference, even aside from the lack of extra wraps around the standing end, which is what the timber hitch relies on

Thanks for the feedback! I do think there are probably a number of options that would do better at what I would like this knot to do. I just didn't want to learn any new knots! haha.
    Mostly I'm interested in how strong this thing might be hooking into the top loop (what would be the end loop of the normal figure 8 if it wasn't around an object). Even then there probably is something quicker and easier to untie that I could learn.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast