Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    well, hooking into the top loop (the bight) is a no go i would say, it would pull it apart. maybe it's better to clarify how you want to use it/what you want to achieve, then it will be possible to recommend something, otherwise we're guessing too much and might mislead you. knots are fun to play with though, so learning new ones, inventing and playing with new ones, is all good, as long as careful. but i would never trust new inventions to critical loads, before thorough destruction testing, though

Personally I know this knot as 8 1/2 Loop. A quick google search shows me that others know it as a Figure 8 Loop knot or a Figure 8 on a Bight. In my opinion you could hang some substantial weight from the top loop (bight) and the knot will not pull itself apart. Good luck untying after that though. That being said, I have some reservations when I hear that people want to hang from a rope. I'm hoping that you're using some sort of a tree strap.

If you are looking for something simple to use to tie up your hammock. Google "Hennessy Hammock Lashing". It's quick, easy and can be undone easily even after you've been in the hammock for a while.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bman70 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback! I do think there are probably a number of options that would do better at what I would like this knot to do. I just didn't want to learn any new knots! haha.
    Mostly I'm interested in how strong this thing might be hooking into the top loop (what would be the end loop of the normal figure 8 if it wasn't around an object). Even then there probably is something quicker and easier to untie that I could learn.
    Perhaps take a look at the slipped buntline hitch. Stupid easy to tie and release.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Yes, cmoulder, slipped buntline hitch is easy to tie, holds fast without slipping, and unties with a yank of ripcord (loose end)
    Both Siberian hitch and slipped buntline hitch tighten around tree like a necktie. Neither one is a fixed loop, like a bowline.
    Bob, great minds think alike, not in lockstep, but along similar logical paths.

Interesting to me, to see several interpretations of what original poster’s knot in photo appears to be.

Then again, Ashley, in his encyclopedic,
    The Ashley Book Of Knots
    Ashley illustrated his book with drawings of most knots—around 2000 knots. A small number of his drawings of knots were found to be in error. Further editions of his book, have had a small number of inaccurate sketches replaced posthumously.

There are all kinds of variations that people have in their minds, one of these conditions is Aphantasia, with the person not being able to produce mental imagery. Or mind’s eye.
    Ashley did not have aphantasia, there were only very few inaccurate drawings out of two thousand drawings.

This knot is a figure eight on a bight, almost pure and simple. Almost because there is that "foreign object" encapsulated in the tying which, I suppose, qualifies it as a hitch! All in all, not particularly useful for much of anything...

(The bitter end has a stopper knot, partially hidden, but that really enter into the discussion.)

the topology is that of a figure 8 on a bight, as the op clearly described. however, for any practical intent or purpose, this has nothing in common, in behavior, with the fig 8 on a bight. for instance, if you load the loop and pull against the object the knot is tied around, it will come loose (or apart, depending how much tail you have), unlike the figure 8. if you load it hard, in any direction basically, it will be anywhere from already undone (see above), to easy to untie, again unlike a figure 8, because of the object inside the knot. it's basically an "unfinished timber hitch on a bight".

Quote Originally Posted by Vryce View Post
    (...)
    That being said, I have some reservations when I hear that people want to hang from a rope. I'm hoping that you're using some sort of a tree strap.

If you are looking for something simple to use to tie up your hammock. Google "Hennessy Hammock Lashing". It's quick, easy and can be undone easily even after you've been in the hammock for a while.
    i fully agree with you, and thanks for pointing this out (it's why i was asking the op how he wants to use it): one should never use rope around a tree, with the sole exception of using a lashing like you mention. this is not the same as wrapping multiple times around the tree before finishing the knot/hitch, the lashing will distribute the load on all strands around the tree, a simple hitch will have load only on part of the first strand (due to friction and the capstan effect)

Quote Originally Posted by Bman70 View Post
    Hi, I haven't used it yet for anything of real weight. I'd like to hang my hammock from it though since it's so quick to do. So far just hanging my climbing rope this way in the closet.
    It's basically a regular figure 8, just initiated with passing the rope around the object. The usual loop end of the figure 8 is left unused, but I think passing the long end through there would really cinch it well.
    BTW, the most common way to hang a coiled rope (like your climbing rope) from a rail (closet rod in your case), is to simply use a clove hitch. Thousands of ropes are stored this way shipboard. Nothing fancier need to hang up a coiled rope.

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    BTW, the most common way to hang a coiled rope (like your climbing rope) from a rail (closet rod in your case), is to simply use a clove hitch. Thousands of ropes are stored this way shipboard. Nothing fancier need to hang up a coiled rope.
    Interesting, I've learned to tie a clove hitch but only when I have one end of the object / rod / available to slip it over! I can't tie it on the closet rod since I can only tie it midline then slip it over the object Lol.
    This is due to only learning it as a "rolling clove" to back up when climbing on a prusik.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A good knot app for your phone is:
    Grog Knots Animated knots by Grog

Many useful knots are shown in animation.
    You can slow the knot steps down to stop motion, to help learn these great knots and their useful applications.

I highly recommend purchase of this inexpensive app!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12