Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY tablecloth
    Tarp
    noahs 12
    Suspension
    whoopies

Sewing machine opinion

Hello everyone. I received two older sewing machines from my mother and although I don't currently know how to sew I would like to learn. I've got and older Kenmore and a White. If I were to only keep one which one would be better? I plan to mostly make gear and would like to sew slings/webbing, nylon and other camping and hammocky things.

Thanks for any opinions.sewing.jpg

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    I am unfamiliar with White brand sewing machines. However I have a Kenmore that is probably from the 1970s. I think it may be a bit newer than the one pictured here, but I am no expert.

I will say that my Kenmore has sewn everything from basic clothing to formal gowns, holsters to shoes, and daypacks to rain skirts, and more. I even sewed a gear hammock/chair/pack cover similar to one which can be purchased. My machine has served me well since I received her as a gift in the 1990s. She keeps right on trucking, though she does struggle with heavier materials like denim and canvas.

Whatever machine you choose, be sure to change the needle to match the fabric you are sewing. This is especially important when sewing the slippery nylon typical of hammocks and backpacking gear. And, of course, do not neglect regular cleaning and oiling.

The one option that I see in the photo that the Kenmore lacks and the White has is the free arm. That may not matter to you. White has a solid rep (been around a long time) but that Kenmore sure "looks" solid. No idea who made the machines for Sears but there are certainly a number of them out there going strong.

Match needle AND thread to fabrics and be sure to use a sharp needle. Practice on scraps to get tension correct. Some nice instructional stuff on the web including at Ripstop By The Roll.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the vids by JellyFish!
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-13-2023 at 20:57.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Both look to be solid machines, I reject your hypothesis that you can only keep one .... in all seriousness though, you really can't/shouldn't even try to make a decision like that ... yet.

You haven't even sewn a project and you are trying to decide on getting rid of a machine. You really need to sew on each machine and see how they work for you .... once you have used them a bit, you will either gravitate to one, the other or decide you like them both, for how and what you are sewing.

As TominMN pointed out the White has a free arm which will likely be useful to have on some projects.

Some thoughts
    - As far as learning to sew, JellyFish is a really good place to start
    - Look up a few videos on maintenance for each of those units, do a routine cleanup (read or watch a video on what needs to be done).
    - Don't scrimp on the thread or needles, buy better quality and stick with it (there is a thread on thread selection on Hammock Forums, find that and read it a few times) link is here, make sure to follow the link as well https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...a-applications
    - Pack some patience and give yourself some time to learn ... the big thing I found is that trying to hurry and sewing mishaps are directly proportional
    - Pick a few small projects and use them for practice

Brian
    -
    Last edited by Cruiser51; 07-13-2023 at 19:36. Reason: new info

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    I had a Kenmore that was made in Japan, and was the last Kenmore which had all metal parts. (1970)? Not real fancy, I never did acquire the set of parts to do different stitches or zigzag, but it was unstopable. Which was good, because it was my beginning effort of DIY sewing.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth
    Tarp
    noahs 12
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks guys.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I agree with Cruiser51. Keep both, try sewing with both to see which you like better, but if they both work, put the back-up in a closet. When you're in the middle of a project, it's a great comfort to have another working machine if one gets in trouble (snagged, dirty, etc.) Many problems you can fix with a little care, "but just let me finish this seam on my bugnet, first" ... Alternatively, you could leave one set up with heavier thread and needle for sewing straps.

Images
    The Kenmore, hands down (providing it functions properly). My grandmother bought me a new White machine in the 80's which proved to be a pile of junk.

Quote Originally Posted by slugbait View Post
    The Kenmore, hands down (providing it functions properly). My grandmother bought me a new White machine in the 80's which proved to be a pile of junk.
    Too bad that a company with a good history went south like that in later years. Early Whites were well made.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    The 2 machine theory is a good one. See which one works on just light fabrics. Set up other to punch thru straps and heavyweight fabrics.
    One thing that has been useful for me is a separate journal for each machine on what adjustments have performed best. And what needle/thread/tensions combo works. If, in the future, you need to adjust, the journal is a quick reference to what has worked best. It may not dial the machine in 100%, but it will get you in the ballpark. Confusing which adjustment on which machine can happen. And dialing machines back and forth (if only using one) can be a struggle.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast