speer
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    webbing

Leaving the UQ home?

At what tempteould you even consider going no UQ? It’s been really hot here and I have a 5 nighter coming up. Thinking of just bringing the UQ protector but I’ve never risked it before.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Once my metabolism slows down to sleeping level, I find that my backside gets cool even at 75°F.

But that's me, and this is a very individual, subjective matter. For a 5-night trip I'd take a quilt. This is why it's nice to have a very minimalist shortie quilt for even the warmest weather. Something like Loco Libre Operator that weighs about 8oz and stuffs down very small.

Many years back, August of 1981 to be precise, a buddy and I took a trip to Shining Rock Wilderness and I took only a cheap polyester blanket and a tarp because, well, it was August. Nearly froze my a$$ off and did not do that again. It gets a lot cooler at higher elevation.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    It is better to have it and not need it than to not have it and get a terrible night of sleep because you did need it.

Remember, a pop up thunderstorm can chill the air considerably.

In the summers here in GA, I often start out with the UQ beside my hammock. That way, when the temperature cools down, it is ready to deploy.

To quote one of the oft-used lines here: You're gonna die!

Seriously, any time it's in the lower 70s or lower at night, you're going to want something. Warm nights, no problem. The UQP can help a bit and it can keep the bugs at bay.

Worst case, I imagine, would be a bit of discomfort.

But then again, an UQ just doesn't weigh that much...

And ditto the above comments.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Once my metabolism slows down to sleeping level, I find that my backside gets cool even at 75°F.

But that's me, and this is a very individual, subjective matter. For a 5-night trip I'd take a quilt. This is why it's nice to have a very minimalist shortie quilt for even the warmest weather. Something like Loco Libre Operator that weighs about 8oz and stuffs down very small.

Many years back, August of 1981 to be precise, a buddy and I took a trip to Shining Rock Wilderness and I took only a cheap polyester blanket and a tarp because, well, it was August. Nearly froze my a$$ off and did not do that again. It gets a lot cooler at higher elevation.
    My experience is similar. Take the uq.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post

Same! Early in my hammock experiences, a buddy and I were on a river doing a multi-day canoe trip. It was 80 degrees when we turned in 30 minutes after dark (9 or 10 PM) but we were camped within 50 yards of the river. I drifted off to sleep, only to awaken about an hour later with CBS. The temp was about 74. Then I had to find the headlight, get out of the hammock, find the pack, get the UQ out, deploy, water a tree while I was up, get back in....and drift off again while telling my self that I'd solved the problem, relax, sleep. When the birds started singing about 45 minutes before sun-up, I was nice and snug and my thermometer was 68 degrees. Over the night, I'd stuck my feet out of the UQ and pulled it down to mid-chest.
    Since then I deploy the UQ. I use the TQ to regulate. I occasionally will vent the UQ a bit.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When I was starting out, I used a Hennessy Expedition with my "ground" Therm-a-rest 3/4 Guide pad, and a UQP. It worked fine during the summer and gave me a Go-To-Ground option. There are other lightweight options, like ReflexIt, that could work in some locations with summer temperatures. But a ¾ length summer weight UQ doesn't weigh very much and is not very bulky.

A lot of trails were hiked and a lot of summits were reached before the Church of Ray Jardine was founded.

Here's my rig for hiking the PCT (1974) - plenty of room for a UQ (had I known about them)
    paulsPack.jpg
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    I do not enjoy a cold butt or cold shoulders so therefore I have a light uq just for these times. I make my light ones but rely on the experts to make the heavy duty stuff for colder nights. I use 1 inch Climashield or Apex whatever is cheapest and buy cheap fabric so I can make one for less than 100$. I have made one from a 5$ fleece blanket.

Hammock
    SLD Voyageur / TL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    SLD UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Buckles/Becket
    Quote Originally Posted by bberms21 View Post
    At what tempteould you even consider going no UQ? It’s been really hot here and I have a 5 nighter coming up. Thinking of just bringing the UQ protector but I’ve never risked it before.
    My summer quilt weighs less than a pound, so I’d never go without it. When the wind picks up, the quilt really keeps you comfortable even when it’s warm. Of course, you can always just push it to the side when it’s u comfortably hot, although I’ve never found that necessary once 5e sun goes down.

Best of luck. Maybe chance it wothjsut the cover, but I’ve never regretted having my UQ.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I've never even tried hammock camping without an underquilt. Venting is so easy; just push the quilt to the side, and adjust as temps drop.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast