Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    They got some weird measurements on the product pics...if you go by the photo it's like 55" high but in the product description it says 55" width. That's not terrible...the Chameleon is 57" wide. Is that 114" the length of the hammock body, or the ridgeline? If the ridgeline length is 114" (and it looks like they are including the end whipping and carabiners), it's probably an 11 ft hammock with around 110" ridgeline. Most of the 11 ft hammocks have around 110" ridgeline...100" for a 10 ft hammock.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    Why not spend a few more bucks and get one of these? https://simplylightdesigns.com/colle...ts/streamliner
    Email or call Jared and he'll take care of you....almost as fast as amazon.

I have one! - Mine is branded "Covacure" but I am sure that it's exactly the same one. I've spent a dozen or so nights in it so far this year and it works fine for me. I'm 5'8 and length wise the hammock is just about sufficient, I have noticed that if I have a couple or more consecutive nights in it I do get shoulder squeeze so when finances allow I will be upgrading to a longer hammock so my shoulders are not so far into the gathered end but as a budget introduction (mine was <£25) I don't think you'll beat this hammock!

Suspension (daisy chains and caribiners) seem to be well made and up to the job, stitching, zips, bug net etc are all in good order. For your stated use of 1-2 nights a year this hammock will be fine. As others have said you will need insulation so budget for an underquilt as well. If you (like me!) get the bug from using this budget hammock a few times you can always upgrade and fit the underquilt to your new rig

Hammock
    Onewind netless, Darien MTN XL 1.7
    Tarp
    Onewind 12'
    Insulation
    HG, KAQ
    Suspension
    Buckles or MSH
    I have a netless 11' hammock from Onewind that I purchased on Amazon, and I like it so much that I ended up giving my Darien to my boyfriend. I think I paid maybe $45 for it, and they accidentally sent me the more expensive camo fabric option, which was a pleasant surprise. I just got the bug net but haven't tried it out yet. Ever since I bought it, Onewind has been my go-to recommendation for friends who are interested in hammock camping but don't want to invest a lot of money into it, especially if they're leaning towards something you can find on Amazon. Getting an adjustable ridgeline already attached and true ripstop rather than parachute fabric feel like a big step up from the slightly cheaper ones sold on Amazon, and I think it's worth the extra few bucks, personally.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    catsofulthar - your first post. Welcome to the forum.

As long as the hammock is around 11 ft, you are off on a good foot. Depending upon the size of the occupant, it could be a little shorter, but I wouldn't go shorter than 10 ft. The ones you have are okay but if your friends are shopping on Amazon, be sure to educate them. I see lots of hammocks in the $20 and under range but when you look at the specs, they are only 8 ft long, if that. The usual 83% of physical length when hung at the recommended angle leaves only about 6.5 ft - which includes the end taper. Not a lot of room.

You didn't mention the rest of your setup and I don't know the bug situation in OH - the need for netting. If you have a sleeping bag, you can unzip it down to about 2 ft from the bottom and use it as a top quilt. And you can put your ground pad in the hammock. If you are really liking all the other features of hammock camping (remember the tarp), you will eventually get an underquilt and ask yourself, "What took me so long?"

There's a lot to read in this forum and many many educational YouTube videos for the hammock camper.

Again, welcome to the club.

Almost forgot - I use my OneWind sock during the tail end of winter. Just ducking under to get in was more appealing than the zippers on my other socks.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-15-2023 at 12:24.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by catsofulthar View Post
    I have a netless 11' hammock from Onewind that I purchased on Amazon, and I like it so much that I ended up giving my Darien to my boyfriend. I think I paid maybe $45 for it, and they accidentally sent me the more expensive camo fabric option, which was a pleasant surprise. I just got the bug net but haven't tried it out yet. Ever since I bought it, Onewind has been my go-to recommendation for friends who are interested in hammock camping but don't want to invest a lot of money into it, especially if they're leaning towards something you can find on Amazon. Getting an adjustable ridgeline already attached and true ripstop rather than parachute fabric feel like a big step up from the slightly cheaper ones sold on Amazon, and I think it's worth the extra few bucks, personally.
    We also have Onewind hammocks that I've used for years and have been very happy w/ it. Also like their tarp, their fronkey style bugnet we tried and later picked up a much better version from SLD. It's designed much better and doesn't sag in on your face plus it opens on one end so that you can put your quilts on and then pull the net over all of it.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Tarp
    Onewind 12'
    Insulation
    HG, KAQ
    Suspension
    Buckles or MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    catsofulthar - your first post. Welcome to the forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post

As long as the hammock is around 11 ft, you are off on a good foot. Depending upon the size of the occupant, it could be a little shorter, but I wouldn't go shorter than 10 ft. The ones you have are okay but if your friends are shopping on Amazon, be sure to educate them. I see lots of hammocks in the $20 and under range but when you look at the specs, they are only 8 ft long, if that. The usual 83% of physical length when hung at the recommended angle leaves only about 6.5 ft - which includes the end taper. Not a lot of room.

You didn't mention the rest of your setup and I don't know the bug situation in OH - the need for netting. If you have a sleeping bag, you can unzip it down to about 2 ft from the bottom and use it as a top quilt. And you can put your ground pad in the hammock. If you are really liking all the other features of hammock camping (remember the tarp), you will eventually get an underquilt and ask yourself, "What took me so long?"

There's a lot to read in this forum and many many educational YouTube videos for the hammock camper.

Again, welcome to the club.

Almost forgot - I use my OneWind sock during the tail end of winter. Just ducking under to get in was more appealing than the zippers on my other socks.
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I've been doing this for a good handful of years now, so I've got a top quilt and a couple of different store-bought and DIY underquilts already . I try to get away with not using a bug net as often as I can, but I just picked up a bottom-entry bug net to use with the Onewind hammock, which I'm planning to try out next weekend. (I liked the bug net in my Darien, but I wish I had gotten the version that zips off on both sides. I like being able to reach down from either side of the hammock to readjust my underquilt when necessary, but luckily my Jarbidge doesn't seem to shift around as much as my old Snugpak underblanket did.)

And just try to not get me to educate my friends on better options than your average Amazon hammock, haha. It's hard to shut up about hammock camping when I have even a moderately interested audience!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Onewind 12'
    Insulation
    HG, KAQ
    Suspension
    Buckles or MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    We also have Onewind hammocks that I've used for years and have been very happy w/ it. Also like their tarp, their fronkey style bugnet we tried and later picked up a much better version from SLD. It's designed much better and doesn't sag in on your face plus it opens on one end so that you can put your quilts on and then pull the net over all of it.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    I'm a big fan of that Onewind tarp! I'll have to look into the SLD bug net -- I recently picked up the Onewind bug net, but I haven't tried using it just yet.

Hammock
    12' w/ zippered bugnet
    Tarp
    quiet ones
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    beetles, wasps
    Quote Originally Posted by Prizla View Post
    I have one! - Mine is branded "Covacure" but I am sure that it's exactly the same one. I've spent a dozen or so nights in it so far this year and it works fine for me. I'm 5'8 and length wise the hammock is just about sufficient, I have noticed that if I have a couple or more consecutive nights in it I do get shoulder squeeze
    this was my first hammock. It was fine to lounge in, but the first night was just painful and squished and miserable (I'm 6'4"). I dialed the hang in perfectly thanks to this forum, but it was still way too short. (un)Luckily, it had a sewing defect and ripped, so I returned it for a onewind 12' and that has changed my life. I've used it for three months total sleeping indoors and outdoors with no issues.

OP, I highly suggest an 11 foot to start.

Update: just met my friend in the park and set up his new hammock. He’s 6’3” and due to the generous width, he had tones of extra space beyond his feet and head.

Disappointingly though, the hammock didn’t come with a structural ridge line, nor any kind of ridge line, despite the pictures clearly depicting one. I guess that’s what you get for $35 Cdn on Amazon.

What’s the rope called that is used for structural ridge lines? He may add one, or just rig up some shock cord between the ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast