Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Thoughts On Using Reflectix Bubble/Mylar Insulation With Big Agness Echo Park 20 Degree Bag

As a former longtime BSA leader I still have a lot of my old tent camping gear and I love my Big Agness Echo Park 20 Degree above zero down bag as many of you know this bag has a built in sleave that a Thermarest self-inflating pad fits in the bottom of the bag. My Idea is to use Reflectix brand bubble Insulation which can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot or Amazon Etc. in 48"x 10' rolls for about $50 and cut it to a little wider than the width of my Thermarest and make a sleave/pouch at the foot end of the Reflectix and slide my Thermarest pad into it. This would solve the problem of trying to shove the Reflectix layer into the Big Agnes pad sleave. Then I would have the Insulation Value of the Thermarest Pad then the 97% Heat reflective properties of the Reflectix next to me only separated by the nylon sleeping pad sleave...In Theory the Reflectix pad would be like having 1/4 dead air space sandwiched between 2 mylar space blankets...I am thinking this combo should make things pretty toasty as I used my Big Agnes and Thermarest combo along with a Sea to Summit Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner (adds 14 Degrees to bag temp rating HIGHLY RECCOMENDED BTW) on a few 10 to 15 above zero winter Camporees my sleeping pad never slid out from under me AND I NEVER GOT COLD ... So maybe the addition of the Reflectix layer on top of the Thermarest would be a good replacement for a $$$$ BQ/TQ for a while... I think it should be a pretty good setup.... Please feel free to reply if you have tried this setup or have any other suggestions Thanks Hoosier 1957

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Yes. It does work very well. And no, I have not had condensation issues with it.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Sleeping bags are a bit of a pain to use in a hammock and the BA system adds to the equation. One of the techniques is to get into the bag before lying down. Pretty hard with a pad in the sleeve. And I'm a fan of BA stuff, but not inclined to use it in a hammock.

Just sayin'...

Starting out, I had often used a 20 degree semi-rectangular bag, opened up flat, instead of a true top quilt. Works pretty well. Pads aren't terrific but they do work. Best if in some sort of sleeve to avoid direct contact with the skin. A sleeping bag liner works for this. That would allow the addition of that Reflectix if you wanted.

I know there are Reflectix fans out there, but, IMHO, I think it is over-rated for hammocking.
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-30-2023 at 11:40.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Sleeping bags are a bit of a pain to use in a hammock and the BA system adds to the equation. One of the techniques is to get into the bag before lying down. Pretty hard with a pad in the sleeve.

Just sayin'...

Starting out, I had often used a 20 degree semi-rectangular bag, opened up flat, instead of a true top quilt. Works pretty well. Pads aren't terrific but they do work. Best if in some sort of sleeve to avoid direct contact with the skin. A sleeping bag liner works for this. That would allow the addition of that Reflectix if you wanted.

I know there are Reflectix fans out there, but, IMHO, I think it is over-rated for hammocking.
    Agreed.

And that liner adds nowhere near that much warmth. And you get to wrestle it.

I have no experience with the reflectix. However, I do have experience with a Big Agnes Lost Ranger and Insulated Core air mattress. That's what I used when I was first starting with my Hennessy zip model. It worked well. It took a bit of "learning to scooch" when I first started using it. However, I think the baffle orientation of the Insulated Air core (longituadal) really helped. They combination was rated to 15F on the ground (but I think it was more like 25 comfort). I routinely slept well and was warm in the mid 20s. I never noticed any issues with condensation and I usually left the pad a little under inflated.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosier1957 View Post
    As a former longtime BSA leader I still have a lot of my old tent camping gear and I love my Big Agness Echo Park 20 Degree above zero down bag as many of you know this bag has a built in sleave that a Thermarest self-inflating pad fits in the bottom of the bag. My Idea is to use Reflectix brand bubble Insulation which can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot or Amazon Etc. in 48"x 10' rolls for about $50 and cut it to a little wider than the width of my Thermarest and make a sleave/pouch at the foot end of the Reflectix and slide my Thermarest pad into it. This would solve the problem of trying to shove the Reflectix layer into the Big Agnes pad sleave. Then I would have the Insulation Value of the Thermarest Pad then the 97% Heat reflective properties of the Reflectix next to me only separated by the nylon sleeping pad sleave...In Theory the Reflectix pad would be like having 1/4 dead air space sandwiched between 2 mylar space blankets...I am thinking this combo should make things pretty toasty as I used my Big Agnes and Thermarest combo along with a Sea to Summit Reactor Sleeping Bag Liner (adds 14 Degrees to bag temp rating HIGHLY RECCOMENDED BTW) on a few 10 to 15 above zero winter Camporees my sleeping pad never slid out from under me AND I NEVER GOT COLD ... So maybe the addition of the Reflectix layer on top of the Thermarest would be a good replacement for a $$$$ BQ/TQ for a while... I think it should be a pretty good setup.... Please feel free to reply if you have tried this setup or have any other suggestions Thanks Hoosier 1957
    When you are first starting out is is fun to try everything. If hammocks stick then eventually you will more than likely get an under quilt and top quilt. But for now try whatever you need to. It is a good way to learn.
    You'll a lot of opinions on here which is good...but also overwhelming sometimes.
    Enjoy the hammock journey.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Very well put Shug! I have tried sooooo many things in all the years Ive been a hammock hanger. Some worked, some didnt. ( looking back, some were just plain crazy and dangerous!). But when all is said and done, I had a lot of fun, and found out what works for me! Hang your own hang!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hi Otter, as for the Sea to Summit Reactor liner I used mine tent camping a LOT and I stayed comfortable & toasty in my BA 20 degree rated bag at 15 above in fact I had to unzip the bag a bit but at 0 degrees all bets are off LOL ...I'm not planning on Hanging in those kind of conditions anyway ... Down in the teens occasionally maybe... Granted I've never tried to get into a Hang with the liner or the BA bag yet but I'm going to give it a shot Thanks for input ...

Thanks for the input Shug....Woooo Buddy Ill check out the suggested U Tube vids ... I thought adapting the old ground pounder gear might save me some bucks before going out and dropping the $$$ for a whole OQ/UQ new sleep system till I find out if I like the hang ... I've set it up a few times and did some lounging at home and in the local park for the day but no overnighters yet and found to be very comfortable even with my health issues at least maybe it will get me back out camping again Thanks Again!!!

Thanks I'll give it a shot psyculman

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast