Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images

Labels, Ribbons, and Tags (oh, my !!)

I'm thinking about getting some custom labels made to sew on my hammock gear. Just small rectangles (like maybe 1/2" x 2"). Some would be for ownership (a PopcornFool label), some would be for orientation (i.e., head/foot), some would be for identification (to sew onto stuff sacks/storage bags to distinguish different hammocks, tarps, quilts, etc. in each bag), that sort of thing.

I've found a lot of online vendors (including many on Amazon, Etsy, etc.) that will make these things in bulk, but I don't need bulk. I only want small batches. Maybe 15 or 20 of the ownership labels, maybe half dozen head and half dozen foot labels, and a single unique label for each hammock, quilt, tarp, etc. that I own.

I know I'm probably looking for a unicorn, but does anyone have suggestions for a trustworthy vendor that will make labels to spec, produce them in very small batches, and not cost an arm and a leg?

Barring that, does anyone have creative ideas on how I might make these for myself without them looking like a Kindergarten project?
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    See if a business in your area makes promotional trinkets - keyfobs, FlashDrives with your name on them, etc. They often specialize in small runs customizing giveaway items with company names/logos. Perhaps they can make a small batch of sewn-on labels. If not, considering their business acquaintances, they might know someone who does that kind of work.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

When I was with the local BSA troop, one of the mom's had a sewing machine capable of custom embroidery. One of the things she could produce was sew-on patches.

I don't know what it takes to convert an image to a program for such a machine but maybe looking around for something like that is a possibility. Perhaps a local sewing shop can connect you with someone(?)

My hammock ends are recognizable by the colors of the CLs.

For bag or stuffsack content, I use 1" plastic ID tags (marked with a Sharpie) attached to the zipper or drawstring.
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-28-2023 at 11:28.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    My hammock ends are recognizable by the colors of the CLs.

For bag or stuffsack content, I use 1" plastic ID tags (marked with a Sharpie) attached to the zipper or drawstring.
    I use different colored CLs for head/foot as well. But that means I need to keep them sticking out of the ends of my bishop bags when stored and they sometimes get caught on other gear. I'm thinking that tags on the bishop bag will allow me to tuck the CLs away and neaten things up.

I use something similar to those little plastic ID tags now as well, but have two major problems with them. 1) They are small so not much room to write and I'm forced to use teeny tiny letters which my old eyes can't read so well anymore, and 2) they keep keep getting caught on other gear in my storage tubs too (much worse problem than the CLs). I could get bigger tags, certainly, but then they would be that more likely to get caught on other stuff.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    I use different colored CLs for head/foot as well. But that means I need to keep them sticking out of the ends of my bishop bags when stored and they sometimes get caught on other gear. I'm thinking that tags on the bishop bag will allow me to tuck the CLs away and neaten things up.

With a Bishop Bag, isn't the same end of the hammock always coming out first consistent? Not like a double-ended stuffsack!

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    With a Bishop Bag, isn't the same end of the hammock always coming out first consistent? Not like a double-ended stuffsack!
    I thought a Bishop Bag was open at both ends . . . am I thinking of the wrong thing?

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I thought a Bishop Bag was open at both ends . . . am I thinking of the wrong thing?

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    There is the Black Bishop Bag and then there is the Double Ended Stuff Sack. The Black Bishop has an opening om one end and a small hole on the other for the head end suspension to pass through.
    I for one an a Black Bishop guy as it is what I came across when i first joined here.
    Shug

Last edited by Shug; 06-28-2023 at 17:53.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

A double-ended stuff sack can be used exactly like a bishop bag (aka blackbishop sack) by keeping one end cinched.

My technique is to open the end of the bishop bag (one end only for a stuff sack) and attach the exposed hammock to the suspension. Then, holding the sack/bag, I walk to the other tree, allowing the hammock to "unfurl." Attach the sack/bag end to that suspension. My habit is to keep the sack/bag on the foot end.

Taking it down is the opposite. I detach from the end that has the sack/bag on it and stuff the hammock as I walk to the other end. Then, cinch it up.

To me, this is the way to keep everything easily out of the dirt.

I rarely open up both ends of a double-ended stuff sack.

There are a number of commercially available bishop bags out there but, considering you can usually get a d-e stuff sack with a hammock, why bother? On the other hand, if the hammock is DIY or doesn't come with any storage sack, I'd consider making a bishop bag for it.

(How's this for diverting from the OP's original question?!)
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-28-2023 at 18:29.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    There is the Black Bishop Bag and then there is the Double Ended Stuff Sack. The Black Bishop has an opening om one end and a small hole on the other for the head end suspension to pass through.
    I for one an a Black Bishop guy as it is what I came across when i first joined here.
    Shug
    I use both (was just using the term "bishop bag" generically to refer to both). The issue is the same though for both (at least for me). I want to tuck my CLs (sorta happens automatically for me with my bishop bags because I think I made the holes too big) and still remember which hole has which end of the hammock

It's funny that I thought to replace the CLs with different colors to tell head from foot on my hammocks, but didn't think to change the draw cords with different colors on my bags. (I discover that I have fewer brain cells every day!) Changing out the draw strings would certainly solve my head/foot confusion.

But I still want to label the bags, sacks, etc. to show what's in them too. And with something that looks better than a black marker (my current approach for quilt bags) and is less likely to tangle than a little plastic hang tag (current approach for everything else).

Sew on labels seems the most elegant solution. But I am open to other ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by PopcornFool View Post
    Sew on labels seems the most elegant solution. But I am open to other ideas.
    I don't know if this is a crazy idea...

I've seen photos printed on canvas. I'm thinking of a variation of this. Use Excel to create a 2 sheet spreadsheet. Enlarge the cells to a size suitable for cutting into individual labels. Fill a number of cells on a portion of 1 sheet with images of your logo. Fill the cells on the other with the various bits of text that you want. Define the appropriate print areas on the sheets. Have a photo shop reproduce those sheets on canvas. Take a scissors to the result and make individual sew-on labels.

I don't know if this is possible or practical but it wouldn't hurt to ask a shop.
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-29-2023 at 17:23.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast