Tarp
    DIY 4-Season, HG
    Insulation
    DIY UQ Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings/WBB
    Images

Re-Introducing Myself: JCHaywire in Seattle

Howdy, Jonathan here. I know it's gauche to give yourself a trail name, but I didn't have one forever, and finally just took on JCHaywire many years ago. I love wire. Electronics projects, radio antennas, guitar strings, mandolin strings. Rhymes with my last name, so boom, a trail name is born.
    KC7FYS might show up, too, because when I enrolled with HF I was a newly-minted ham radio operator. My initial radio callsign was KC7FYS until I moved to Japan to teach and marry people. Then I became 7J1AWL for ten years, then XV2OC briefly--and finally W0XO when my grandpa left the callsign to me. I enjoy making my own radios and station accessories and making Morse Code contacts. I can be spotted in the forest with wires thrown over a branch, making contact with who-knows-where.
    I sew, but I don't sew well. I'm better at repairing and tuning the machine than USING it. At any rate, I like making stuff. Fixing used stuff. Turning something of no value into something valuable and special. Scavenging is my favorite pastime.
    That's what I love about electronics. I am not an engineer, and never will be one--but I make electronic stuff anyway. Synthesizers that bleep and blorp. Transmitters that beep and bump. Receivers that scratch and howl. There's always something built in an Altoids tin in MY pack.
    I reintroduce myself because we just moved to Seattle and I'd love making more friends and acquaintances for improvisational music, camping, and sharing project show-and-tell.
    When I'm not repairing amps, guitars, turntables and building stuff--I'm a dad, husband, and homemaker. Nice to meet you all--again.
    Haywire is my trail name, but I can't change it. Ha.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    JCHaywire, is a great trail name! I’m imagining, you might rig some lights on your hammock. Not too wild of an idea. More than one hammock camper has ventured off from their hammock and had difficulty locating their hammock in darkness.

I sometimes put a small led head lamp light on tarp ridgeline to help me find hammock in dark.

A big shoutout from somewhere in the Uwharries.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Welcome! If you want to change your HF name, just contact a moderator and they'll do it for you. Though it does seem a bit odd to change your HF name 13 years after you joined HF.

I changed my HF name many years ago. When I signed up, I didn't really understand that most people used their trail name as their HF name. Since I already had a trail name, I changed my HF name to SilvrSurfr.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts