Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drip line knot?

this got me intrigued. i never used a dripline, partly because i have the tarp ridgeline always above the tarp, where i think it fits best (that's a different discussion, i know some people prefer it under), and partly because i use ucr's for suspension, with the adjustable end at the hammock, and the way i make them, i guess they are their own dripline (unlike whoopie slings). so keep this in mind, the following is just me thinking about it, i don't have much experience with them.

i would use a binding knot, i was about to suggest a double constrictor or just a constrictor, with both tails hanging out, much like what phantom is suggesting (that nail knot is cool btw, i didn't know about it, i am sorely lacking in fishing knots).

as to the material: i wouldn't use dyneema just because it would seem like such a waste :), but that aside, i would prefer a material that doesn't absorb water, like dyneema, polyester, or, my first choice would be polypropylene (cheap, lighter than dyneema, and as hydrophobic as dyneema)

i know it might sound counterintuitive, but my thought process so far is that, for an "ideal" solution, what we're looking for is a water break, and a redirect, so we want to break the flow of water and then redirect it (many people point out that one of the most effective ways is to have a carabinner or such inline, for instance, the bigger the better, but we don't like bulky hardware :P ). so we want: a rather bulky knot to break the flow, with a tail hanging down as early in the water path as possible, and made of a material which doesn't wick water, so that when it gets saturated, it doesn't start to leak to the opposite side of the knot.

so my (untested) conclusion would be that a piece of polypro rope, of rather large diameter (like 4mm, larger than the ridgeline), making a simple but bulky knot, like the constrictor or such, or maybe even a quick turks head if you feel like it, with one of the tails hanging out on the "water side", so it redirects the flow early (for a "quick turkshead" see the famous miller's knot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miller%27s_knot , you can keep braiding a few times as if doing a three strand braid). this way you would get a waterproof waterbreak, that can be slid around as needed, and would not leak (and require a second one to back it up) in "extreme conditions". i have yet to test it though, as i said, i just thought of it because of this thread, so don't throw your cotton shoelaces away just yet ;).

note: obviously, this wouldn't make much sense if the host line itself is water absorbant, i suppose this is where the cotton preference historically comes from, but this should be the best solution if the host line (ridgeline or suspension) is dyneema

The absorbent, cotton shoelace continues to wick water even after becoming saturated. It just works!

And this has typically been used with suspension where such a water break is sometimes needed. Certainly not needed with a two-piece fly ridgeline or a single one run over the fly. And some only run it under for snow load.

It's not rocket science. No need to use any "fancy" knot(s) when the simple ones have worked just fine for folks for many years.

it might not be "rocket science", but we are discussing it nevertheless. and we're discussing it because our colleague here had some troubles with it, and asked (and it is not uncommon that people ask about better ways to take care of the dripline situation).

the miller's (and its variations) are certainly nifty, but fancy? likewise for the constrictor. it's older than hammock camping, and some might even find it useful, even day to day. i surely didn't mean to offend anyone's knot sensitivities though

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    A few of these posts seem to be saying a Drip line on the TARP suspension/ridge line......Well.....why? I guess that is needed if you have a ridge line that runs full length and you run the ridge line under the tarp then water could/would channel along the tarp ridge and drip onto your hammock.

My drip lines are on the hammock suspension (Be it a strap to a continuous loop, UCR's, Whoopies, other) and the purpose is to keep my hammock as dry as possible. Channel the water that will get on the hammock suspension (since it is tied to a tree so not completely under the tarp) away from the hammock.

Maybe I'm reading too much between the lines.....just started my second cup of coffee.....
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Quote Originally Posted by Randonneur View Post
    Larkshead a couple of cotton shoe laces on.
    Need not be any more complicated than this!

NASA spent an absurd amount of money developing a pen that would work in outer space. The Russians used a pencil...
    Last edited by TominMN; 07-02-2023 at 09:53.

the op was using a knot which is not suitable, and explained quite clearly what problems he had with it. it was already suggested that he uses something even less suitable (the larks head), compared to the variant he was using (the prusik), these are useless as binding knots, and this is the kind of knot obviously needed here. he was looking for better alternatives, if some think better alternatives are an offense to what they choose to use, well, you can still use the pencil for everything (and the half hitch for everything else). it's nice to have options, the pencil might be enough for some, but "enough" is not how we got to space (or camping with ultralight equipment, for that matter). aside from that, the absurd space pen seems to be quite popular these days on earth, some people like that they can write in any position or orientation. some inventions or solutions might seem absurdly overkill to some, it doesn't mean they are useless

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    And when you see worlds famous Nail Knot tied on app Grog Knots—Animated Knots.com
    It is tied to be used to attach a smaller diameter fishing line to a larger diameter fishing line.
    This is to join the two lines and having them taper down to smaller diameter.

Now when you tie Nail Knot onto a tarp ridgeline or hammock suspension, to be used as a drip line.
    The Nail Knot will ride on the ridgeline like a bouy on a pool rope.
    Nail Knot will be torpedo shaped or cigar shaped.
    Your two loose ends can be shortened to two inches on both ends of Nail Knot.
    Be sure to dress (tidy up) Nail Knot and tighten it a bit—before trimming loose ends to two inches for your drip lines.
    Once your Nail Knot is tied—you’re done. You only have to tie it one time.

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    And when you see worlds famous Nail Knot tied on app Grog Knots—Animated Knots.com
    It is tied to be used to attach a smaller diameter fishing line to a larger diameter fishing line.
    This is to join the two lines and having them taper down to smaller diameter.

Now when you tie Nail Knot onto a tarp ridgeline or hammock suspension, to be used as a drip line.
    The Nail Knot will ride on the ridgeline like a bouy on a pool rope.
    Nail Knot will be torpedo shaped or cigar shaped.
    Your two loose ends can be shortened to two inches on both ends of Nail Knot.
    Be sure to dress (tidy up) Nail Knot and tighten it a bit—before trimming loose ends to two inches for your drip lines.
    Once your Nail Knot is tied—you’re done. You only have to tie it one time.
    I was lost when I first looked at this knot. As you state, it is used to join two ropes/twine of dissimilar size, together. I've learned to tie the "Fisherman's knot" for the same purpose.
    Now I think you latest post has me less foggy on this. I think what you have done is use two lengths of say cotton shoe laces, and tie them into a nail knot but around the hammock suspension. The nail knot could be positioned up and down the suspension and instead of cutting the two tails as is shown on the animated knots, those dangle and are the drips.

I hope that is clear and maybe I'm following your use of the nail knot now.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Take a short length of cord, maybe a foot or two long. That one cord will become nail knot—it will be tied around tarp ridgeline or hammock suspension.

After dressing and tightening nail knot enough to hold it with some tightness around tarp ridgeline.
    You can trim both ends of nail knot. Leave about two inches hanging loose from both ends of nail knot.

This nail knot is cigar shaped and encircles tarp ridgeline. It can be slid back and forth on tarp ridgeline. Then it will hold its place and will perform as a drip line—water block.

If I was any good at posting pictures, then you could see what I have described.
    I have received detailed instructions on how to post pictures here on Hammock Forums, but am too lazy and too stupid to learn how to do something that other members here do every day.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post

I have received detailed instructions on how to post pictures here on Hammock Forums, but am too lazy and too stupid to learn how to do something that other members here do every day.

Definitely neither lazy nor stupid!

I'd call it a "different set of priorities."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast