WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps

Where have all the flowers (anodized aluminum hammock rings) gone

I use anodized aluminum rings at the ends of the hammock. They act as a water break and I can use different colors (like red at the head) in order to recognize and orient the hammock before I pull it out of its double-ended stuff sack. They make it easy to attach various suspension schemes (webbing, daisy chain, whoopie slings) to the ring.

I knew my supply of those rings was low and I could use a few more colors. But I couldn't find a supplier. Not at DutchWare, WarBonnet, JRB, ArrowHead, HG, or NAMA.

In the past, there were at least two sources. Some of my older rings have a diameter of around two inches, some are a little larger.

Does anyone know who supplies them now? I'm not talking about rappelling rings sold to climbers. The ones I'm considering are sufficient for hammock suspension and come in various shades of red, green, blue, or black.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    > Does anyone know who supplies them now? I'm not talking about rappelling rings sold to climbers.

Joe, thank you for the link but those are not what I'm looking for.

Here is a photo of a 2" OD anodized green ring next to a WarBonnet Carabiner. The OD is 55mm and ID is 45mm.

At one time, at least two or three of our usual vendors carried them, usually in the Accessories category.

RingAndBiner.jpg

So far, I've only found a similar product on Esty - but they are much smaller and they purposely cut the ring.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 06-26-2023 at 16:59.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Well, I have a stainless steel version that I use for the Military Aluminum Mast Poles that I use.

These are SST 2-inch ID rings found at Locke Hill Feed Stores around San Antonio for $0.99 each.

IMG_1595[1].JPG

or

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SMNSXGN...kZXRhaWwy&th=1

You could always larks-head 4-inch Yellow/Red/Blue/Silver Zing-It for designations.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 06-26-2023 at 19:09.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Those are closer to the mark. Thank you for the idea of tagging them with ZingIt; a use for those leftover pieces.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    Have you thought about macrame rings?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Scotts, Thank you for the suggestion but I'm guessing macrame rings are made from welded, weak metal. I haven't seen a 175 lbs macrame in a while.

Sure, I could get steel rings at the hardware store, and climbing rappelling rings at REI. I understand those alternatives.

But I'm looking for the aluminum, hammock support rated, rings hammock vendors used to sell in red/black/green/blue colors. They came in around 2 inch and 2.5 inch diameters.

My life isn't going to stop if they are unavailable. It's just a curiosity why they disappeared from the marketplace.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    if you google "descender rings" you'll get a lot of options - yes, most are climbing equipment - that should suit.

Hammock
    AHE Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbidg Owyhee
    Suspension
    DIY
    I glossed over the part where you were using the ring as a part of your suspension.
    Will something like this possibly work: https://www.slingrings.com/products.php?cat=7
    The site said they pull test each ring to 250 pounds.
    Last edited by ScottS; 06-27-2023 at 14:10.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    ScottS - Thank you; That's exactly what I'm looking for!

I've asked the vendor for strength test numbers on all five sizes. I also asked if the etching option reduces that strength. It's a luxury, but I can picture various hammocks in their double-ended sacks and one of the rings identifies the hammock as BlackBird, Snipe, LiteOwl, Envoy-S, WeightWeenie, RidgeRunner, DIY, etc. I'm currently using "ID Tages" available at Harbor Freight - a bag (with real cheap split rings) for $0.99 - for that.

I appreciate those who took the time to suggest climbing rappel rings - but I can find those all day long. They "work" but I'm doing more with the rings besides holding the hammock. I'm using them for ID purposes - whether it be which is the head end of the hammock or which model/color of the hammock. I've gone through the trouble of selecting colors for hammocks/quilts/tarps and I don't want to just stick a dull silver aluminum ring on the hammock continuous loop.

I emailed Paul at ArrowHead (because they used to carry these ring) asking if they were just out-of-stock (for apparently all hammock vendors) or if Arrowhead was no longer carrying them. I haven't heard back yet,

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast