Amok Draumr 5.0
    Tarp
    Skjold 10
    Insulation
    Fjol Winterlight
    Suspension
    Amok cinch buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    BTW KWK .... this is crown land, what can the uninitiated expect at the campesite, are we "cat holing"? Are there any markings? Will be my first time outside a "Park"

Brian
    Actually, it's a non-operating Provincial Park now. I think I there was campsite signage (anyone else recall?), portages were obvious. The site we stayed on was well established & had a thunderbox ... similar to what you're accustomed to in Algonquin.

Also ... just heard the fire ban will be lifted in Parry Sound District effective tomorrow. Hope it holds!

I was just there last weekend, which is really the only reason I can't join you guys. Just can't rationalize two trips in the same month to the family.

Re: parking, the parking lot at Flemings landing is much smaller than at Ess Narrows. Given that there are 7 confirmed and another 3 maybe, I would suggest parking at Ess Narrows. 10 cars would pretty much fill up Flemings Landing. I wouldn't want to risk the local, water only access cottagers making a complaint to the municipality and then that lot becomes paid only or off limits somehow. Launching from Ess Narrows adds another hour to your paddle but I paddled from Flemings Landing to the bottom of Smokey Lake, to the spot featured in the pictures above, in 4 hours, double carrying the portages. So, you should be able to get there by dinner time no problem.

Plus the 40m liftover is now a paddle through. The beaver dam has broken.

I can confirm that there definitely is a thunder box at the site featured in the pics above. Although it was getting pretty full.

I've been to that area twice in the last 2 years, and the site pictured above was unoccupied each time. It seems that most people either camp at the north end of Smoke Lake, or go further south.

The two portages into the PP are well marked, short and quite flat.

Things may be different by the time you guys get there, but the bugs were pretty thick. The temp was 25C during the day and the deer flies were relentless. By 9PM the mosquitoes sounded like a highway. So definitely bring your "no-bug zone".

If anyone is looking for an adventure, I flagged the portage from John Lake towards Deep Lake. It's not that long, maybe 200-300m but there are a couple of big trees down that could be cut and cleared out. One in the stream on the east side of a small island at the south end of John Lake, and one at the beginning of the portage towards Deep Lake. I cut some branches off but you still need to step way up and over it. Not impossible but I suspect the fishing will be awsome in Deep Lake. If anyone has a big saw like the one Anreas brought to Donald Lake last fall, that would do the trick. Both trees are 12-16" thick. I say "towards" Deep Lake because I didn't make it all the way to Deep Lake. I paddled most of the way through the lilly pads via the beaver channel but ran out of time/gave up.

I camped on John Lake and didn't see any thunder boxes there.

By the way, don't bother with the portage from Last Lake to John Lake. It's a bit of a bush wack and has a couple of hills. You can definitely paddle to the east and into John Lake, and the fishing there is great. I lost count of how many fish I caught.

Enjoy your trip.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    3Season Crowsnest
    Suspension
    DIY whooppie
    I've camped on Smoky Lake and several times on Noganosh Lake. The sites I stayed all had thunder boxes. There were the occasional campsite that didn't have one (or at least weren't obvious), but there were also some fish cleaning stations that had thunder boxes but weren't suitable as a campsite.

My last visit I came across 2 sets of thunderbox kits that presumably some park ranger had brought into the park but had not installed yet. I also checked out some of the crown land sites North of the ESS launch, North of Dollar lake and they all had some makeshift thunder boxes, but that was 3 yrs ago.

Mosquitoes were horrific at night that trip as well. I had left my chopsticks in a pouch just outside of my bugshelter, and I opted to eat my ramen with aluminum tent pegs instead. Aluminum chopsticks with boiling hot soup does not a happy meal make.

Like Theyland said, the ESS launch is much larger than Flemings Landing. I also preferred that paddle as the channel is wider, and there is a bit more space for boaters to pass.

Speaking of bug shelters, has anyone thought about attaching bug netting to the bottom of their rain tarp? This would save some weight compared to bringing a separate bug shelter. Would probably only be big enough for 2-3 people but would be perfect for just one.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I thought about adding to my tarp, but that could be a real daunting task to get it to fit right and also get a good seal to the ground. Then you would be stuck in your sleeping area, to cook and potentially spill food (we have all done that), so I decided that was a no-go for this outing.

I opted to try something off the wall a bit ... https://www.amazon.ca/Bottom-Folding...257475&sr=8-11

Whether it works or is convenient, I have no idea, but it does look like it would have a reasonable chance at being a successful haven. It is stand alone, not bulky or heavy and should give enough room to stretch out and relax ... if I like it, I can use it as is or modify a bit, it is at least a start.

Brian

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Edge/superfly
    Insulation
    Adict
    Just got back from Algonquin and as for bugs, mosquitoes were worse than typical but between site selection and the bug shelter, wasn't horrible.

But I'm now a maybe for this trip. Messed up my thumb and doctor says 2 weeks so hopefully I'll be good enough.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Have to say I can’t make it . Have a good time! Hope to see some of you in September.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Have to say I can’t make it . Have a good time! Hope to see some of you in September.
    Is there a September trip planned? I need a good excuse to get out of the wedding of a cousin/niece 3 times removed.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theyland View Post
    Is there a September trip planned? I need a good excuse to get out of the wedding of a cousin/niece 3 times removed.

There’s typically a hang in late September. I have some time off on the last weekend of September so I’ll be going somewhere.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    There’s typically a hang in late September. I have some time off on the last weekend of September so I’ll be going somewhere.
    Good. I’m planning on going somewhere from Sep 29 To Oct 2. I’d be game to go back to Donald lake.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast