WBBB
    Tarp
    WB minifly
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    That's fine if you only have hammocks from Superior...

While I can't imagine that I would ever own just one brand of hammock, I can see that some folks might do so.

IF I only had one or more Superior hammocks and no other brands, I'd opt for the one without an integrated UQ and acquire multiple snap-on UQs.

While it is true that you can use his UQs on other hammocks (AND you can use "traditional" UQs alone or as augmentation on his), it's not the route I would choose to go.

Shug seemed to really like the bare hammock. In one vid he used an UQ that he already owned. I guess that speaks well for the product.

Some of the same arguments can be made re Dutch's Chameleon.
    I don't think you're that limited - there are DIY options for adding snaps to hammocks and quilts from a variety of manufacturers.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I've had an SG15 now for a year or so, and I do believe it has significantly improved my experience on the trail, AND when packing at home. I've always fretted over having my UQ connections and accessories to ensure the best fit packed and then implemented at camp, and had started using a catch-all sack to ensure I kept everything together. Even with fretting in camp I was always a bit nervous in the back of my mind about getting the fit right. You know, I've always been a guy that said get your UQ rated for 20 degrees below the lowest temps you think you'll be camping in and I think all the things that could affect the quilt achieving its rating are why. But the SG insulation seems to be a lot more efficient so that I would totally not fret about camping at what its rated for, and in fact it wouldn't surprise me if I could get to 10. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to test here in Ga when it got there in December, which it rarely does.

So, pack/camp simplification and thermal efficiency are the two biggest things for me. The snap on modularity is great, but since I have two nice TQs at 20 & 50, just don't need the SG ones. I do use the SG UQP which connect with bungees like a normal one, but also has snaps. Snaps are great for really sealing it up, but I've been using mine as a gear sling, adding some loops and letting it hang loose as I just haven't needed to increase the thermal efficiency with wind protection. And I roll in porch mode every outing, and I actually like a little breeze over the top. Seeing out for me is just one of the biggest benefits of hanging. I was just out recently in my summer UQ and netless hammock and reminded of how the UQ can ride up and block your view, and breeze. So next step for me is thinning my herd so I can get a SG45!

One other thing that has worked out for me... Shug had mentioned he was rocking the 10' SG and was working for him, so I went that direction also (I'm 5'10"). That allows me to get into more narrow tree spacing, which I've also accommodated with a custom 10.5' tarp. I'm loving the way that's working out for me. Can still go long if needed, but always seemed like I was really close to the tree with my lines/susp. with just about every hang. This gives me a little extra room on normal hangs, and opens up some tree-pair options that otherwise might not have been doable. I also enjoy the closer RL access as part of the geometry of going shorter.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by deadeye View Post
    I don't think you're that limited - there are DIY options for adding snaps to hammocks and quilts from a variety of manufacturers.
    Point taken, although, as I wrote, you definitely CAN use SG UQs on other hammocks (with accessory suspension) and there's no reason to not use "traditional" UQs on SG hammocks with no need to add snaps to anything. I still think the best SG hammock is the one without built-in insulation. And it appears to be a very nice hammock. That offers the option to use almost any UQ whether you choose to have it snap on or not.

If you desire to limit yourself to specifically having stacked, snap-on UQs, without doing any DIY, then you box yourself in to a single vendor. I guess that was the point I was trying to make. No argument that horizons can be expanded with a bit of DIY. Care needs to be taken to not cause gaps between snaps!

One more point: The SG UQs are much wider (58") than most to facilitate attaching them with snaps on both sides. You wouldn't want to snap a narrower UQ to both sides of a hammock of typical width.
    Last edited by TominMN; 06-22-2023 at 15:42.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandit/SLD UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies /straps
    Images
    I have the SLD setup love the flexibility with a asym 40 degree underquilt and an additional snap on 40 Degree UQ. For top insulation I have a 20 Degree UGQ and a SLD 40 Degree Apex Quilt.

Jared at SLD sews the UQ into a Underquilt protector which cuts down on wind robbing you of warmth and allows venting on really hot nights. Very simple to setup as well. Hook up head and foot ends with a beener, clip one or both sides to the hammock body and good to go!

This combination works very well for temps into the 80's down into the low teens. Nice thing about that apex quilt is it works great in summer but can be stacked in winter with my down quilt. The Apex on the outside keeps the moisture out of the down quilt.

I will probably try other hammocks in the future but to be honest I see no reason to.. other than curiosity. I would like to try a bridge but don't want to deal with the extra weight and additional expense of another UQ.

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    ...The SG UQs are much wider (58") than most to facilitate attaching them with snaps on both sides. You wouldn't want to snap a narrower UQ to both sides of a hammock of typical width.
    Good point and probably why they are heavier. While I like what he's done, but I think a separate winter and summer insulated hammock makes a little more sense to me while using other TQs, which you would need anyway if using the SG TQ in UQ mode. Might depend on what you already have in your inventory and what makes sense from that standpoint. Both of my TQs are about 17oz, but the summer one is synthetic.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    ... While I like what he's done, but I think a separate winter and summer insulated hammock makes a little more sense to me while using other TQs, which you would need anyway if using the SG TQ in UQ mode. ...
    Why not just use the uninsulated one he offers and snap on the season-appropriate UQs?

Hammock
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    Why not just use the uninsulated one he offers and snap on the season-appropriate UQs?
    Because I find a high level of value in the sewn in insulation hammock. I find no cons to the format, but that’s me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Kate Chopin

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    Because I find a high level of value in the sewn in insulation hammock. I find no cons to the format, but that’s me.
    Fair enough.

Hammock
    WBBB XL custom 1.1 single.
    Tarp
    Cuben HG w/doors
    Insulation
    Exped DownMat
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    I got an original Superior Gear 30* integrated 10’ open hammock before he was selling all the nice add-on options like zip-on bug nets and UQP, etc. I have been using it in a Warbonnet 10’ sock. That works great and the sock adds warmth, so everything is hunky dory. I also have two different Warbonnet 11” XL hammocks and a 20* Wookie and a 0* Wookie.

One thing that does not seem to be mentioned much is the difference in insulation coverage. The Superior UQ goes all the way up the side and almost for the full length of the hammock. That gives great coverage no matter how much you thrash around at night or change your diagonal lay. The Wookies are cut shorter and at sort of a narrow angle and positioned just under your diagonal lay space. You can easily roll around at night and hit uninsulated cold spots. Especially if you have less than optimum tree spacing and are getting a weird lay angle. I never roll into a cold spot while in my Superior. Just say’n.

Having said all that, I have to add that the Warbonnet is the best hammock style ever designed.

Quote Originally Posted by HangingOut View Post
    I got an original Superior Gear 30* integrated 10’ open hammock before he was selling all the nice add-on options like zip-on bug nets and UQP, etc. I have been using it in a Warbonnet 10’ sock. That works great and the sock adds warmth, so everything is hunky dory. I also have two different Warbonnet 11” XL hammocks and a 20* Wookie and a 0* Wookie.

One thing that does not seem to be mentioned much is the difference in insulation coverage. The Superior UQ goes all the way up the side and almost for the full length of the hammock. That gives great coverage no matter how much you thrash around at night or change your diagonal lay. The Wookies are cut shorter and at sort of a narrow angle and positioned just under your diagonal lay space. You can easily roll around at night and hit uninsulated cold spots. Especially if you have less than optimum tree spacing and are getting a weird lay angle. I never roll into a cold spot while in my Superior. Just say’n.

Having said all that, I have to add that the Warbonnet is the best hammock style ever designed.
    (I like my BBXL too!)

I agree that SG's full width UQ helps to guarantee a comfortable night's sleep. That seems to pretty much be the approach that Dutch took with the zip-on UQ for the Chameleon (made for him by JRB) as well. I think this feature REALLY shines in a symmetrical hammock, which the SG is and the Chameleon can be. I see that as a real advantage in an asym as well.

Of course those wide UQs add bulk and a bit of weight. That matters to some.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast