Hanging in a small bedroom.

Hello all.

This is my first post in these forums and also my first foray into hammocking.

I have recently decided I'd like to give indoor hanging a go. I have been sleeping on a futon for the last few years, but recently have been getting very allergic to my own mattress from the dustmites. I figure having a hammock that is higher off the ground and made of materials that I can easily wash makes a lot more sense for someone like me who is sensitive to dustmites.

I've done a bit of reading about indoor hanging and hammock comfort and it appears that the larger the hammock the better. Most recommendations I've seen have said 11' long is the way to go. The problem is the my bedroom is only 3.3m long (10.8') which is at its absolute maximum dimension... It would probably only accommodate a smaller hammock I'm guessing. That doesn't sound very appealing to me because I value comfortable sleep.

My first thought is to build some kind of frame, so it's more like a hanging stretcher. Then I would have to hang it from 4 points in the ceiling. It's a bit of a pain in the *** because the ceiling is a 45 degree angle and I also feel a bit precious about putting too many holes in my lawson cypress sarking. But I could live with it if it's going to help me get a better sleep.

Since I'm completely new to sleeping in a hammock I would love some feedback or ideas. Particularly around how to get comfortable in a smaller space like that. Also how to ensure the thing is healthy and easily washable.

I am happy to make something myself as I am a handy person. But if there's something commercially available then that's an option too.

I also saw several mentions of using a tablecloth, which appeals to my repurposing/DIYing nature, but I don't have any further info about that.

Thanks for the ideas
    Tom

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Hammock ridgeline can be roughly 83% length of hammock. An 11 foot hammock is 132 inches long multiplied by .83 is 109.56 inches

There will be some added length needed for a continuous loops to attach hammock to wall hardware. Your continuous loops on each end of hammock could be made shorter than continuous loops sold by cottage vendors.

Your hammock in your room, with limited length available, can do without hammock ridgeline.

I mentioned hammock ridgeline to reference amount of length your hammock could use.

Possibly you can skip use of continuous loops by using a hammock rated carabiner through end channels to clip directly into wall hardware.

But maybe continuous loops will make less noise as you shift around in your hammock.
    I reckon, running your hammock and suspension through your bedroom door into a hall wall wouldn’t work.

Good luck on your journey to hammock nirvana

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I hung a 60" x 102" polyester tablecloth hammock in my office (from tableclothsfactory.com) when I had a back problem several years ago. The ceiling is only about 6 and 1/2 feet tall, but I didn't want to hang a hammock in the center of the room. So I ended up hanging the hammock on one of the sloping side walls at about 62 inches off the ground. I just went to Home Depot and got a a couple of those eye loops and screwed them into the beams. I didn't have much choice as to the height (62 inches), or the distance between the eye loops (about 9 ft. 5 inches).

I slept in that hammock for several months until my back healed. I still use the hammock from time to time. It's pretty comfortable. I still prefer my bed but if the back is acting up, I'm a hammock guy all the way.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You can measure a string at 11’. Tape it to wall at desired location, into a stud. Then do the same at other end of string. Allow for good sag in the string but try to get a comfortable chair height.
    It will help you visualize where attachment points will need to be. And how the hammock will meet up with studs.
    Two steel eye bolts with at least 3/8” diameter and a solid eye if you can. Long enough to go through planked wall and deep enough into stud sub structure. Then you only need two small holes drilled, which you can patch later with a dowel and a dot of glue, if needed.
    As mentioned an 11’ hammock has sag and it can be allowed to sag more than the typical 83%.
    For the rigging of hammock and wall anchors you will disregard normal straps and make two short ones. In a home or van setting you don’t need long straps. Rope, short straps can be almost in direct contact with the anchors.

Eleven help some folks with comfort. But there are lots of folks napping in 10’. So don’t let the 11’ be a limiting factor. Best hammock I made to fit a room was 18’ long. Basically all fabric wall to wall, with short straps larks headed to hammock. It ruined me for any hammock after that
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    prune_man, Welcome to the forum.

I'm more cautious. Though many have successfully hit the right spot in the right stud, if you miss, it can be a costly mistake (in fixing your drywall). Those behind-the-wall studs are designed/placed to handle a compression force, down from above; not a pulling force from the side. That's not to say they won't work; they have for many. It's just not what they are designed to do. You may already understand house construction. If not, it's educational to look closely at a house being built and see how door and window frames are reinforced and other interior sections are not.

If it were me, I'd start with some simple hammock stand - leaving the walls alone for now. There are lots of posts in the forum showing various, removable, hammock stands.

That way you can experiment with the size and model, find the hammock you like, and then build a semi-permanent, or permanent, attachment point for that hammock.

You mentioned it was your first foray into hammocking. I'd wager dollars to donuts that if you asked how many here are using the same hammock they started with, a very large majority would say "No". There is a learning/preference curve. It takes TIH (time in a hammock). Very few of my first choices, hammocks, tarps, kayaks, girlfriends, ham radio gear, etc. are what I'd pick after a little experience.

Unlike in the forest, your choice of "tree separation" will be fixed (wall-to-wall, corner-to-corner, etc. distance). You can use the hammock hang calculator (https://theultimatehang.com/calculator/) to check how high on the wall you need to place your supports given a desired hang angle (or distance between hammock ends when suspended), and height above the floor. Those things can also be determined from your outside hammock experiences.

It sounds like you are full of enthusiasm - which is good - and are considering making permanent structural changes to your house using current data (your experience up to now) that has been shown (by many) to change over time. A temporary stand - if you have room for a "turtle dog" there are examples that use six inexpensive 2 x 2's, a pair of hinges, and some rail fence top pieces - will give you the inside option and be able to accommodate the changes as you discover what is "just right", in the long run, for you.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Quote Originally Posted by prune_man View Post
    Hello all.

This is my first post in these forums and also my first foray into hammocking.

I have recently decided I'd like to give indoor hanging a go. I have been sleeping on a futon for the last few years, but recently have been getting very allergic to my own mattress from the dustmites. I figure having a hammock that is higher off the ground and made of materials that I can easily wash makes a lot more sense for someone like me who is sensitive to dustmites.

I've done a bit of reading about indoor hanging and hammock comfort and it appears that the larger the hammock the better. Most recommendations I've seen have said 11' long is the way to go forest themed bedroom ideas. The problem is the my bedroom is only 3.3m long (10.8') which is at its absolute maximum dimension... It would probably only accommodate a smaller hammock I'm guessing. That doesn't sound very appealing to me because I value comfortable sleep.

My first thought is to build some kind of frame, so it's more like a hanging stretcher. Then I would have to hang it from 4 points in the ceiling. It's a bit of a pain in the *** because the ceiling is a 45 degree angle and I also feel a bit precious about putting too many holes in my lawson cypress sarking. But I could live with it if it's going to help me get a better sleep.

Since I'm completely new to sleeping in a hammock I would love some feedback or ideas. Particularly around how to get comfortable in a smaller space like that. Also how to ensure the thing is healthy and easily washable.

I am happy to make something myself as I am a handy person. But if there's something commercially available then that's an option too.

I also saw several mentions of using a tablecloth, which appeals to my repurposing/DIYing nature, but I don't have any further info about that.

Thanks for the ideas
    Tom
    I'm looking for ideas/pictures. I want to decorate my bedroom/apartment. I'm in my mid-20s. Single. I kind of like romantic, airy looks but also a little bohemian, but sophisticated. I guess that description is all over the place! LOL If you have pictures of any cute rooms please post them here!

Images
    Amazon for $85 and a 132" x 90" Polyester Crinkle Tablecloth for $12 (take to a sewing machine shop that has classes and hove them triple stitch channels in each end)

https://tableclothsfactory.com/produ...nt=46822310223

61HAcIFh-yL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You will end up with a hammock that is about a 10.5-foot long, 7.5-foot wide hammock which should match up well with the stand, lots of color choices.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 08-08-2023 at 22:15.

• + New Posts