WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I don't have one, but maybe take a look at the Warbonnet Diamondback with the side elastics? I dunno if it's a gimmick or if it really works. Maybe there are some posts that discuss, or some users can chime in. IIRC, I think Shug has one that's talked about in his vidoes.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...uilt-0-degree/
    I bought a 20 degree diamond back a few years ago when they had a big sale. By far it is my favorite top quilt! The design really seems to work well for me. Not exactly sure what the difference is, but it just feels right! (The elastic seems to help)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Elionoxa View Post
    top quilts even the wide ones still have drafts and in a 20 degree night it may be better to have a bag.
    I disagree with this statement... I have a standard width top quilt and have never had a draft. ... But also have not slept on the ground.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Countrybois; 06-16-2023 at 09:28.

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    DIY WINTER HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    Diy Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Dutch gear
    Images
    If it was me I would get a top quilt I've tried to sleep in a sleeping bag in the hammock and didn't work out that good a top quilt is a lot easier to slide into
    Its a good day to be out in the woods no matter the weather.Mist One..

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    I disagree with this statement... I have a standard width top quilt and have never had a draft.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
    I think OP was implying when in a tent. I'm a side sleeper....the HG std width of 50" might work on the ground for a smaller frame, but I would want to go wide as possible. You can get the WB in 50/55/60" widths. Definitely use the pad straps to help keep it in place.

Hammock
    Blackbird xlc
    Insulation
    Carinthia m05
    Images
    I currently use a center zip carinthia bag. The center zip makes all the difference and sets you up good to flip it for a quilt unzipped with the 1/4 length solid foot box

Hammock
    HG Circadian
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream
    Insulation
    HGs (stacked!)
    Suspension
    strap/biner/knot
    Quote Originally Posted by Elionoxa View Post

The question:
    should i buy a zero degree sleeping bag for 20-30 degree nights which i can also use when i use my tent occasionaly, or buy a zero degree top quilt and a down hood?

top quilts even the wide ones still have drafts and in a 20 degree night it may be better to have a bag.
    One thing to think about is what other gear you will be bringing on these trips. If you travel with a down or synthetic hooded puffy coat, you can wear that to bed and it will be your "down hood". (and it's less gear you need to buy/carry!) If you watch some of Shug's videos, you can see that he often uses a hood from a old down coat over some other hats, which adds up to a nice warm hood.

Quilts definitely can be drafty when used outside of a hammock. Nothing worse than that feeling of losing all your warmed air. When you are in a hammock, the sides hold the quilt on top and it's easy to tuck in the sides. If you want to use a quilt in a tent and you have found it drafty, then it's worth thinking about how to 1) attach it to your sleeping pad, and 2) use it inside a very light "bivy" sac. This allows you to have one piece of gear that works in the hammock and the ground (and quilts are so much cheaper than sleeping bags).

When I'm attaching my quilt to my sleeping pad. I use this method to attach my quilt to my pad: # this is the way.jpg. The elastic goes around the pad and the toggles are used in little loops on the side of the quilt. This method works well because you can adjust where the toggles go to get just enough "tuck" for the quilt. Hopefully that makes sense.

Sometimes I'll also put everything in a very simple bivy that has silnylon on the bottom and untreated nylon on the top. This keeps everything in place, blocks the wind, serves as extra water protection on the bottom, and lets moisture out of the top.

But I should be ashamed of myself for talking so much about tent camping set-ups...

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I don't have one, but maybe take a look at the Warbonnet Diamondback with the side elastics? I dunno if it's a gimmick or if it really works. Maybe there are some posts that discuss, or some users can chime in. IIRC, I think Shug has one that's talked about in his vidoes.

https://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com/pr...uilt-0-degree/
    I bought a 20 degree diamond back a few years ago. Hands down, it is my favorite top quilt- and the side elastic pulls seem to really help!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12