Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

How do I store my motorcycle jacket/pants under the tarp during rain?

Any smart ideas on how to store my motorcycle jacket/pants under the tarp during rain?

Is a separate small gear hammock my best and only option?My moto gear weight is about 3-4 kg.Thanks

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hang them off the ridgeline of the hammock if you have one. Store in your pack or duffel. You'll get it done.
    A gear hammock would word great. See one rigged in video below....
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Trail Winder
    Personally, I like having a small gear hammock hanging beneath my hammock. It provides additional protection from wind and splashing rain. But there are other options.

Some people stash their extra gear in their lined backpack and either just set that on the ground or hang the pack from a carabiner at one end of the hammock. I realize that backpacking is not quite the same as bikepacking, but you could adapt that using a waterproof bag of some sort.

Another option would be something like Dutchware’s sidecar. I’ve also seen a sort of waterproof shelf that would hang at the end of your hammock, just under the tarp.

You could hang them from your hammock ridgeline, though that might be too heavy. A peak shelf at the foot of your hammock would be great and lightweight.

You could also run a third ridgeline above your hammock but below your tarp specifically for your motorcycle gear. If you do that, you’ll need to make sure you have good drip lines on that ridgeline.

And, of course, Shug has a video or two about this topic.

Your timing is perfect - I spoke with my brother about this earlier today. We're headed out for 2 weeks to Maine and Nova Scotia in early July.

It's more a moto trip than a hammock camping trip, so we'll use Tensa4 hammock stands.

My jacket and pants are substantial and won't fit in my Chameleon's sidecar or peak shelves.

During nice weather I'll hang my gear from the head end apex of the Tensa4 as a counterweight.

The options below work for me in any hanging situation.

For better rain protection I'll use a length of cordage with a loop on each end and a carabineer to hang it from my hammock's continuous loop. The cordage attached to the continuous loop with the carabineer,, goes through an arm of the jacket, a leg of the pants, the front of my full face helmet, a closed buckle on each boot, then back to the carabiner at the continuous loop for fastening. The cordage is short enough to keep all but my boots off the ground.

For even better rain protection sometimes I drape jacket and pants over the foot end of my hammock ridgeline and hang just helmet and boots from the hammock continuous loop.

Sometimes I leave the helmet and boots on the ground under the hammock on a small tarp and fold the tarp over them for a little splash protection.

Sometimes I leave everything but my boots on the bike, secured with a cable to the helmet lock. Boots then go on the ground under the hammock.

For short overnights sometimes I stuff all but my helmet into my moto luggage on the bike. (My side cases and top case are 18 liters each - it barely fits and I can't bring anything else with me that will remain on the bike.) Helmet secures to the bike with a helmet lock, visor closed to keep the inside dry.

Sometimes I have a large dry bag available and stuff some or all of it in there.

I haven't used a gear hammock, but I have considered the option. The idea is most appealing in heavy rain.

The gear is heavy and weighs down my foot end continuous loop and/or that end of my hammock ridgeline, but it doesn't present any problems for me. I hang the foot end just a touch higher than I otherwise would.

Curious to hear how others handle overnight gear storage.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Which gear hammock do you use?

It really annoys me when i hang something on one end of the hammock and it disbalances my hang proportion

Do you happen to have a use for a table otherwise? For when you are camping?

Also, what do you do to protect your motorcycle? Do you have a tarp for that?

Both of those offer a place to store your heavy gear while sleeping with a tarp to keep the elements at bay.

Or, perhaps a waterproof bag.

Hmm, no. If you are riding in the rain, your motorcycle clothes are wet, and bagging them will promote mildew and mold growth.

I would use a tarp over the motorcycle and if needed, a heavy mesh bag to hold it so it can dry.

How about on the ground under your hammock?

You could pack a tarp small enough to get all your gear on in it, or large enough that you could also fold the tarp over your gear to cover it.

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G (2022) using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Elionoxa View Post
    It really annoys me when i hang something on one end of the hammock and it disbalances my hang proportion
    There is no way hanging a mere 4 KG (less than nine pounds) on one end of the hammock would have any effect on your "hang proportion," whatever that is. Sometimes, in blowing rain, I'll hang everything (pack, boots, etc.) off my hammock ridgeline. It really has no effect if you hang diagonally and place the things you're hanging on the opposite side of where your feet are pointed.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast