DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Do you travel with a folding camp chair? If so, you have another option.
    I backpack with a camp chair. In particularly bad weather, my extra gear stays in my lined pack and which I place on the camp chair under my tarp. Simple, easy, accessible, and effective.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Here is my system for moto camping:

When I set up camp my camping gear comes out of one of my side cases and my pants and jacket go into the space vacated by my camping gear.

The gear in my other side case (clothes) is stored in a Kreiga dry bag that is moved to my seat while in camp (or anytime I need to free up space in my side case) and my riding boots go into that side case.

Usually, there is enough room in my top case for my helmet. If not it it gets locked on my handlebars.

The thing I like about the system is all the motorcycle gear is left on the motorcycle and my hammock rig is setup the same way it is while on backpacking trips.
    Jacks R Better, makers of the of the Original Under Quilt and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock.
    www.jacksrbetter.com
    Facebook: JacksRBetterQuilts
    Intstagram: Jacks_R_Better_Quilts

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    When I'm on motorcycle trips, I usually either just store my jacket/pants/gear in the saddle bags, or hang them on a carabiner or two from the foot end of my hammock. My helmet is usually hung on the hammock with a carabiner, or parked on top of one of the mirrors. I have tried using a gear hammock while using my Tensa4 stand, and it works, but quite honestly it's easier just to do one of the other options instead.

I have a large ikea bag that I put on the ground underneath the hammock.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    +1 on that Ikea bag. I use a zip-up one for my winter pulk backpacking trips.

I always bring a light folding camp chair on my trips, all my gear goes on the chair next to my hammock.

Images
    XXL Rain-jacket and Pants as cheap or as expensive as you wish. Put these on the MC Jacket and Pants. Find a place to hang them.

I used something like the below to store my Aero Roadcrafter one-piece riding suit.

https://www.amazon.com/HWK-Motorcycl...lbWF0aWM&psc=1

I have over 300,000-miles on my 1981 GS1100EX - 2nd frame, it was my commuter bike, rain/shine for 30-years.
    MC Latest Frame.jpg

MC Latest Engine.jpg
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 06-17-2023 at 14:33.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DGrav View Post
    Here is my system for moto camping:

When I set up camp my camping gear comes out of one of my side cases and my pants and jacket go into the space vacated by my camping gear.

The gear in my other side case (clothes) is stored in a Kreiga dry bag that is moved to my seat while in camp (or anytime I need to free up space in my side case) and my riding boots go into that side case.

Usually, there is enough room in my top case for my helmet. If not it it gets locked on my handlebars.

The thing I like about the system is all the motorcycle gear is left on the motorcycle and my hammock rig is setup the same way it is while on backpacking trips.
    +1 with the exception of a top case... not a big top case fan. Rather than a top case, I prefer a waterproof duffle bag that is secured to the bike & rests on top of the pillion seat & side cases. Ortlieb makes a large assortment of waterproof products for just about any outdoor activity, including bikepacking. I usually keep all my camping gear in the duffle bag & when empty, is large enough to store my boots, gloves, & riding pants. Everything else goes in the side cases.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I hammock camp off my motorcycle. When I take off my riding gear I place the pants across my front seat, use my windshield like a jacket hanger, my boots slip over the ends of the handlebars so they are open and can dry out, my helmet goes on the back seat. All of this is then covered with my motorcycle cover (you could use a tarp that you tie down real good).

Just FYI, I spray well for insects around the bike and place some chunks of Irish Spring to keep rodents out of my gear. It might be an old wives tale but I have never had an issue.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Dream Hammock custom Sparrow
    Tarp
    15'x15' DD
    Insulation
    SLD Trailwinder UQ
    Suspension
    Beetle buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Elionoxa View Post
    Any smart ideas on how to store my motorcycle jacket/pants under the tarp during rain?
    The easiest way I have found is to hang off your tarp ridgeline. This is one reason why it's good to hang the tarp over your ridgeline.
    You can just use carabiners. the NiteIze #3 size are perfect.
    Recently I've been using the NiteIze Figure 9 Carabiners too. Small size. Just click the carabiner on the line and you get a hook to hang anything on. Particularly useful for small stuff sacks and ditty bags because the "notch" on the figure 9 captures a thin line really well without slipping and you just lift the item and the line comes right off the hook.

I usually hang all my stuff sacks on the ridgeline, my bath/meds bag, and also use the line for hanging my towel and a damp shirt or two.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast