one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    I agree with you. The clove hitch can be tied with a slipped finish. Then that slipped bight can be sealed by inserting loose end of guy line through slipped bight. Now that guy line can be tensioned as it continues on to other tasks.
    Then when breaking camp, pull guy line out of slipped bight. Now slipped bight is no longer locked.
    And a simple pull will release slipped clove hitch.
    I'm going to try that method today. I am a little concerned that it will be hard the get the tail end back out of the slipped bight but we'll see.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

What if you would use a toggle in that slipped bight rather than the bitter end? That would certainly pull out easier...

Concern is about a high wind working everything tight.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    What if you would use a toggle in that slipped bight rather than the bitter end? That would certainly pull out easier...

Concern is about a high wind working everything tight.
    That sounds like an excellent option if these pull up too tight. But it's more like the wind Yanks it tight. I will say that being out here has given me some serious opportunities to test out hammock pole camping in sandy soil and high winds. I'm almost three months into into some extended method testing for double pole stands . . . never waste an opportunity, right!?

After tying these slipped cloves, which required some thinking since I was used to just dropping a couple loops on the pole, it seems that because I had to go halfway around the pole tip to get back to the slipped loop and then straight on to the stake just the tension on the line may be enough to keep the loop from getting pulled in tight.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Images
    #208 in Ashley Book of Knots.png

Used in Circus Tents for canopy support poles, this is used to haul up the canvas. You would need to flip it upside down.

One Length Hitch Knot for Tarp Pole.png

Give it a shot, your cordage and dressing the knot will play a large part in your successful knot selection.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 06-09-2023 at 13:34.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post

After tying these slipped cloves, which required some thinking since I was used to just dropping a couple loops on the pole, it seems that because I had to go halfway around the pole tip to get back to the slipped loop and then straight on to the stake just the tension on the line may be enough to keep the loop from getting pulled in tight.

Of course, the other option is to not go back around the pole before passing the bitter end through the loop. I don't know if one way is better and/or easier. The benefit of the toggle is you don't have to pull the entire end through the loop nor do you have to pull it back out.

if i understand you well, the pile hitch i've been using is what you want. designed to be tied on the bight with access to the end of the pole, it cinches it so nicely you could drive the pole into the ground using it, and it is easy to release, or just slide on the pole as needed. assuming i get it right, and you do have access to the end of the pole

seems we could have a long rant session together about gromets, too.

another option which i haven't tried yet is to basically do a rat tail on the pole. it would mean twisting a bight and putting the twist over the pole, twist again, drop over end of pole again, repeat a few times. the advantage with this is that it will expand to grip the pole, and then when you want it released, once tension is off the line, you can just compress it together and it will be loose (it's basically a two way braid, so it will work like a chinese finger trap). the disadvantage with it is related: it will take space on the pole, but in this application you won't care (it sounds like you really are using the poles exactly as i do, slightly away from the tarp). i haven't bothered to try because i was happy enough with the pile hitch for my needs so far, but i recall in after few days withstanding some steady winds by the sea, it could take me a few seconds to work some of the pile hitches loose, especially if i had been too generous with the number of turns before dropping the bight over the end of the pole to finish it, so i'd consider the rat tail on a bight i described above; you might be the first to record trying that, too

https://www.animatedknots.com/rat-tail-stopper-knot

imagine it tied without that final squar not, because you have no tails to worry about here, as you tie it on a bight over a pole the end of which is accessible

https://www.animatedknots.com/pile-hitch-knot

i like this one a lot, it's basically the correct tool for the job in this application, and absurdly simple. you can make extra turns before going up and over the end of the pole. when i first discovered this one i was litterally grinning like an idiot

i'm really curious what your testing turns out, please keep us posted
    Last edited by nanok; 06-09-2023 at 15:52.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Of course, the other option is to not go back around the pole before passing the bitter end through the loop. I don't know if one way is better and/or easier. The benefit of the toggle is you don't have to pull the entire end through the loop nor do you have to pull it back out.
    Very good point!

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by nanok View Post
    if i understand you well, the pile hitch i've been using is what you want. designed to be tied on the bight with access to the end of the pole, it cinches it so nicely you could drive the pole into the ground using it, and it is easy to release, or just slide on the pole as needed. assuming i get it right, and you do have access to the end of the pole
    I like that one! Definitely testing that one.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    The main knots I use on my tarp to stakes is the slippery clove hitch. If I am in porch mode, I use a clove hitch around the end of the poles that are holding the tarp aloft, and then down to the slippery clove hitch on the stakes. Defaulting to the clove hitch probably had a lot to do with using it on climbing anchors because it was easily adjustable to the needed length. Like was previously mentioned, I just need to pull the staked 'slippery' when breaking camp and it is undone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast