Hi from Devon UK

Hi - Lifelong camping enthusiast based in Devon, UK with the gorgeous Dartmoor National Park right on the doorstep.

Vehicles, tents, tarps, bivvies, you name it I've done it - a lot! Getting well into my 5th decade now so the old back is not so good for sleeping on the ground these days. Been using an Amazon special hammock (Covacure) for the last year or so and to be honest it's been OK - in fact probably the best £20 I've spent in a long time!

Now I know how much I love Hammock Camping I'm looking to upgrade the set-up so looking forward to drawing on the wealth of knowledge here on the forum

A quick pic of last nights hang to test my picture posting abilities

IMG-20230525-WA0008.jpg

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to the forums, Prizla! I also made the switch to hammocks about 4 years ago and am not looking back. Wild camping in the UK is different than what we experience in the States, but I would imagine hammocks being very friendly to the terrain and environment there. I lived in Surrey for a while, and the trees there were very large around so I'd have to buy extra long straps. Anyway, I hope you enjoy the wealth of information available here.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Thanks Iceman857 - You're not wrong, wild camping in the UK is certainly different from what you lucky lot over the pond have available to you!

I am very lucky though, Dartmoor is the only place in England where wild camping is officially permitted and there is 350 or so square miles of it. Can be a bit wet in the winter tho

No bears, mountain lions or sasquatch either

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Hi Prizla, welcome! In my view, any hammock is better than no hammock. Is your underquilt from SnugPak? Looks similar to my SnugPak that has served me well on many occasions.

Thanks Crazytown3 - it is indeed a Snugpak underquilt. I've had it down to close to freezing and it was fine! I did have quite alot of clothing on overnight tho
    For the price it's a good bit of kit, a bit fiddly to set up and quite bulky when packed but I'll be making a few upgrades to other kit before I will feel the need to upgrade the underquilt

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by Prizla View Post
    Thanks Crazytown3 - it is indeed a Snugpak underquilt. I've had it down to close to freezing and it was fine! I did have quite alot of clothing on overnight tho
    For the price it's a good bit of kit, a bit fiddly to set up and quite bulky when packed but I'll be making a few upgrades to other kit before I will feel the need to upgrade the underquilt
    Agreed; a bit fiddly? Yes. Bulky? Yes. Works? Yes!

• + New Posts