Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    The Thunderfly was a very, very close 2nd choice for me. It's on the docket for a future purchase for sure.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Pavel, if someday you decide to get a MiniFly to keep the ThunderFly company, note that if you get a MiniFly of the same color, they will look like one tarp in the gear box. Just be sure to grab the one you want for your adventure. The MiniFly will absolutely keep you dry; the ThunderFly will keep you dryer - or, more accurately, give you a dryer area to play under.

A MiniFly is great to toss in your day pack. Rain isn't the only thing that falls from the sky and my tarps have been more useful in providing shade from the overhead sun than in keeping me dry in a rain storm.

For years the Hennessy Hex was my goto, general-purpose, tarp. It was replaced by the ThunderFly. But often it's wise to bring two tarps; one for the hammock/shelter and one to shield an eating area, like a picnic table.

I started out with SilNylon tarps because robustness/reliability was king. But on one adventure I had to wrangle three very heavy, very wet SilNylon tarps. So now I'm a SilPoly guy.

I hope you have lot's of great adventures with your ThunderFly.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    I took advantage of the sale - I'd been waffling on a Wookie XL for a couple of years now and decided to just do it - they're not going to get cheaper.
    I will not need an underquilt for several months, so I'm fine with the backorder status.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I took advantage of the sale - I'd been waffling on a Wookie XL for a couple of years now and decided to just do it - they're not going to get cheaper.
    I will not need an underquilt for several months, so I'm fine with the backorder status.
    You won't be disappointed with that Wooki. Great choice that just simply works.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair(s)
    Tarp
    SLD & Mtn. Fly
    Insulation
    HG 0,20,40 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Was looking for an excuse to buy the Thunder Fly…. Done! Thanks for the heads up.
    The deep mystery gives rise to the spirits -Charc

Always strive to be the best but never believe you are - Juan Manuel Fangio

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Pavel, if someday you decide to get a MiniFly to keep the ThunderFly company, note that if you get a MiniFly of the same color, they will look like one tarp in the gear box. Just be sure to grab the one you want for your adventure. The MiniFly will absolutely keep you dry; the ThunderFly will keep you dryer - or, more accurately, give you a dryer area to play under.

A MiniFly is great to toss in your day pack. Rain isn't the only thing that falls from the sky and my tarps have been more useful in providing shade from the overhead sun than in keeping me dry in a rain storm.

For years the Hennessy Hex was my goto, general-purpose, tarp. It was replaced by the ThunderFly. But often it's wise to bring two tarps; one for the hammock/shelter and one to shield an eating area, like a picnic table.

I started out with SilNylon tarps because robustness/reliability was king. But on one adventure I had to wrangle three very heavy, very wet SilNylon tarps. So now I'm a SilPoly guy.

I hope you have lot's of great adventures with your ThunderFly.
    That is very good advice. So far I have bought each tarp in a different color - but I'm close to running out in the stealthy colors that I prefer. Unfortunately due to thread replies elsewhere, some by you, I fear that I now need to get a Dyneema tarp to further my light and small education. It's a good thing we get to take it all with us ... rumors nothwistanding, so our wives can't really complain.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Pavel > ... so our wives can't really complain - that's where two tarps of the same color come in

There are a lot of "schools" - some like muted natural colors so they'll blend in. Some like more contrasting colors so they won't blend in. My Burnt Orange Thunderfly lets others, as they are paddling towards shore, know that campsite I've picked out. If I need to be found, from the air, someone will see my orange tarp. On the other hand, all my winter gear is snow-day camo - isque. It's all fun.

I don't think you got the idea of needing a Dyneema tarp from me. A second tarp, yes, but not Dyneema. There is nothing wrong with Dyneema if you can appreciate the Pros and understand the Con$. But I mostly kayak camp and day hike. And I did my Oregon Thru Hike long before UL was a thing. So I'm not so sensitive to an ounce here or there.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Pavel > ... so our wives can't really complain - that's where two tarps of the same color come in

There are a lot of "schools" - some like muted natural colors so they'll blend in. Some like more contrasting colors so they won't blend in. My Burnt Orange Thunderfly lets others, as they are paddling towards shore, know that campsite I've picked out. If I need to be found, from the air, someone will see my orange tarp. On the other hand, all my winter gear is snow-day camo - isque. It's all fun.

I don't think you got the idea of needing a Dyneema tarp from me. A second tarp, yes, but not Dyneema. There is nothing wrong with Dyneema if you can appreciate the Pros and understand the Con$. But I mostly kayak camp and day hike. And I did my Oregon Thru Hike long before UL was a thing. So I'm not so sensitive to an ounce here or there.
    I could have sworn you were part of the discussion whether to use shock cord or not, on dyneema tarps. I'm uncertain, but have no dyneema tarp YET to come to my own conclusions.

I come from the reference point of a cyclist. I can't hike anymore due to nerve damage who's symptoms come and go unpredictably, in my left hand and foot. Some days are fine, so days I can't even tie my shoelaces easily. But I can still cycle and always enjoy a month long trip, when I don't have time for a longer one. So stealth camping, camping in city parks, by churches, or state forests is what I gear up for. Lately however I think having a hunting orange tarp may be a good idea for places like Uwharrie national forest and such. Uwharrie is an hour drive, but I don't care to be mistaken for a half point buck and mounted on a wall - so orange may be "needed" after the dyneema shock cord question is settled my me. But it's not for weight. I've found that if I cycle with 40 pounds verus 65 - it really makes no real difference, no matter the hills. I go slow in all cases.

I grew up in Ontario, and from age eight to twenty I would spend time in Algonquin, or my favorite place on the planet, in Killarney provincial park. Both places are wonderful for paddlers, and that I what I did every summer. I miss that of course, but it would require several bright color tarps. There are Warbonnet sales for the fourth of July - are there usually not?

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazytown3 View Post
    The Thunderfly was a very, very close 2nd choice for me. It's on the docket for a future purchase for sure.
    Now the waiting part comes, and it's not easy, is it?
    I try not to check for shipping information more than six times a day.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    Well call me a fool, but I'm a happy fool. I also ordered a 40 degree Yeti underquilt just now. The discount makes a nice difference. Do I need it? Not really. Only as much as I need sunshine in my life.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast