Help in getting a new system

Hello,for the last few weeks I've been lurking in this and other sites reading and trying to learn and understand about the suspension system. I'm completely confused.My hope is to get a system without any hardware using the least amount of materials. For this, if I understand correctly, I can get a 7/64 Amsteel-Blue for the Continuous Loop, and a long webbing (strap or huggers) and tie them together with J-bend, Becket Hitch, Marlinspike Hitch, Lapp Knot or Larkshead.Is it this simple or do I miss something?Do I have to use another cord or hardware to connect between the CL and the Webbing? Because, and I think I'm wrong here, I understand that you can't tie with the Amsteel.What is the difference between the many knots? Each one is for a different system or I can use all of them anytime I want?Any help or a simple explanation will be very welcome,Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookingofrhowto View Post
    My hope is to get a system without any hardware using the least amount of materials. For this, if I understand correctly, I can get a 7/64 Amsteel-Blue for the Continuous Loop, and a long webbing (strap or huggers) and tie them together with J-bend, Becket Hitch, Marlinspike Hitch, Lapp Knot or Larkshead.Is it this simple or do I miss something?
    That's pretty much it. I copied what a lot of people do: tree strap connected to the continuous loop using one simple knot, in my case the Becket hitch. I'd suggest using either the Becket or the J-bend.

Shug has a good video series on suspensions. There's (I believe) Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5 and Part 6. Watch them all for a thorough grounding, but I'll link to number three, the video on Becket hitch and J-bend:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HHncxp_SvA&t=345s
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I use whoopie sling suspension which only requires a toggle, which can be a stick in the woods if you wanted. But my hammock has them built in as I don't have the continuous loops.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Lots of suspension options out there. My Suspension Playlist here....https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...RN4_MaZ8UAyzWm
    You may like the Beckett Hitch option.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    For my lightest setup (https://lighterpack.com/r/avm25v), I use a system that has a strap and some Amsteel Evo loops on both the hammock and the strap end (as a replacement for a carabiner). The button knot on the end of the continuous loop at the end of the hammock makes the UHMWPE ultralight tree hugger hammock straps less likely to slip under weight when using a Becket hitch. Hope that helps!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts