Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.2
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension

Wider UQ or do I need more adjustment

I have a full lenght 77" UGQ UQ, and a single layer 11' Hexon 1.2 Dutchware Chameleon. I find when I lay in the hammock without the UQ I can get a perfect lay quite easily, and have wide angle. However, when my UQ is attached, I have troubles getting that perfect lay because the UQ seems too narrow for me to be able to lay at the same angle as I can without it, and I feel the the shock cords are a bit too snug even without any tightening, which is making it harder to get that wide lay as well.

I am not sure if a wide UQ would fix my issue, or if it's possibly just something I can resolve with a bit more fiddling. Any thoughts or suggestions here would be appreciated.
    I am considering getting a 40 degree summer UQ in a 66-70" length, and I noticed that UGQ now makes a "wide" version of their UQs -- anyone have any experience with these to know if the wide versions help with thi

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe try to set the UQ on a bias. Than can help for sure. See in the video below at 2:40 in.
    Might give some insight.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Paradoxically, imagine a ¾ length UQ. You didn't give your height, but a ¾ length UQ will insulate the critical upper body and part of the area below your waist. If your lower legs feel a chill, a short pad could alleviate that issue.

the point of the ¾ length is - you orient your diagonal lie, and your feet will fit under the suspension running from the end of the UQ to the end of the hammock.

With a full-length UQ, if my diagonal gets extreme, I feel my feet pushing/fighting the UQ. With a ¾ length, the hammock "push out" happens under the suspension so there is no resistance.

One adjustment with a full-length UQ is to loosen the end cinching. That allows the UQ to better form to the diagonal hammock shape. In other words, when you picture a tight closure on the ends, it may be with the image of something in and parallel to the hammock. But that's not the pattern when you are in it. You are pushing out a bit on the head and foot end, so you need to loosen those cinch cords/bungees to allow the UQ to form to your body in that area.

It really helps if you can have someone else in the hammock while you dial in the UQ. You can adjust the primary suspension so the top of the UQ is snug up against the bottom of the hammock and loosen the ends so they don't bind, but are just snug. You can also see if you need a supplemental lift (secondary suspension) on/near those ends. You can get that by running a line/bungee from the side of the UQ, over the hammock ridgeline, and down to the other side.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Maybe try to set the UQ on a bias. Than can help for sure. See in the video below at 2:40 in.
    Might give some insight.
    I have played with that a bit, and it does help. The trouble I have here is the primary suspension on my UQ seems to be super taut at the loosest setting. The secondary suspension gives me a little bit of control to put it at a bias, but I haven't been able to get it adjusted to the angles which I like to lay, yet. Your right though, and I need to fiddle with it more to get it just the way I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Paradoxically, imagine a ¾ length UQ. You didn't give your height, but a ¾ length UQ will insulate the critical upper body and part of the area below your waist. If your lower legs feel a chill, a short pad could alleviate that issue.
    the point of the ¾ length is - you orient your diagonal lie, and your feet will fit under the suspension running from the end of the UQ to the end of the hammock.
    With a full-length UQ, if my diagonal gets extreme, I feel my feet pushing/fighting the UQ. With a ¾ length, the hammock "push out" happens under the suspension so there is no resistance.
    Interesting. Does the suspension get in the way at all on a ¾ length with a bugnet attached?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    "The trouble I have here is the primary suspension on my UQ seems to be super taut at the loosest setting"

Sounds like you need to lengthen the primary suspension if that's the case. Just a loop of shock cord or a dogbone to see if slacking it off a bit helps. If your UQ suspension is already at it's loosest you have the ability to tighten up if needed after adding a bit more to one or both ends.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    I'm a fairly tall guy and wanted to get more of an angle in my hammock than I could get with a standard 11'x60" hammock, so I started making longer and wider hammocks for myself. I was able to get more of an angle and a fantastically comfortable lay, but I found that my UQ didn't want to cooperate. It would often slip off my shoulder or off my feet at night even when adjusting the bias as Shug suggested.

I've found some success with the following trick. I added a couple of prusiks to my SRL, one near the foot end and one near the head end. I then attached a piece of shock cord to each prusik. I usually use a figure 8 knot, but you can also tie a simple overhand loop knot and then larks head it to the prusik too. Whatever works for you as long as it won't slip. I added a line lock hook (like the ones Dutch sells) to the loose end of each shock cord piece. I then clip the hooks on to my UQ suspension shock cords. The shock cord piece attached to the head end prusik is clipped to the UQ suspension on the side of the hammock where my head rests (I usually sleep head right so it would be on the right side of my hammock as I lay in it). The other piece clipped to the suspension on the opposite side (the foot side). I can then adjust the tension on each shock cord piece to pull the UQ at more of an angle. If I play with the tension and the location of the prusiks, I can usually find a way to gain more of an angle for my UQ and it stays in place better when I roll around at night.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >Interesting. Does the suspension get in the way at all on a ¾ length with a bugnet attached

No. At the foot end (below the knee) the bugnet is above any fabric that would come in contact with the shock-cord. And, at that location, the shock-cord is being pulled up by its suspension so any "push-out" goes under it.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-27-2023 at 12:58.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    I tried a 3/4 length UQ. The foot end suspension lines I could almost deal w/, the head end ones all in my face and such . . . no way!
    Ended up having someone add more material at each end and using it like a TrailWinder, or a 3/4 symmetrical wooki.
    Now I love it!

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Images
    The Wooki under quilt is amazing. I have a few and it is my favorite. I never have any problems with it. Glad you got it figured out!

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ Custom 11' Hex
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    This is the first I have heard about the Trail Winders. These look interesting. It looks like they use synthetic insulation rather than down, how well do they pack/compress?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast