Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice for 6'5" tall person

Hi all!
    I know this is probably a frequently asked question, but I would appreciate some advice.

I made a 11ft 1.6 HyperD hammock 2 years ago. I have done a couple of trips now and I noticed that I can't get a nice flat lay. I need to lower my head end quit a bit to get rid of the calf ridge. But then my head is near peak of the hammock if that makes sense.
    I do sleep reasonably well in it (better then in a tent) bit I'm thinking about making a new one.
    As I'm in the EU and there aren't a lot of hammock fabrics I need to order it in the US. So I want to make a good decision.

What would help more: a 12ft hammock (then I'll need to make a new tarp as well) or stay with 11ft and make it a wide hammock?
    And for my weight of 210lbs what fabric do you recommend? HyperD stretches quite a bit but it's comfy. I was maybe thinking if I go the wide route to go for the MTN 1.2 wide so I don't add to much weight on my pack.

Thanks in advance!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    Big blue monster
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images
    My husband is 6 ft 4 and my standard Dream Hammock is definitely too small for him. Here is their sizing chart..https://dream-hammock.com/pages/copy...e-chart-metric

Thanks!
    According to that chart I need a 72" wide hammock. I guess 1.2 MTN XL is out of the question.
    Then it's HyperD, 1.7 mtn xl or dutches wide fabric.
    The chart says a 11ft hammock but by just an inch and I need a 12ft. May I ask if you're husband uses a 11ft or 12ft?
    I could order enough fabric and use a whipping on 12 ft and change it to 11ft to see what works best. Would that work (with a adjustable ridgeline)?

Regards Joost

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    I think you could even consider a 13' hammock. My suggestion is 2x your height for hammock length. So, at minimum try a 12 footer. A little extra width may help as well, but I believe you're going to get more comfort with the extra length.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Okay, thanks for the tip. And when you say a little extra width, how much would you suggest?
    Because if it's a few inches I can use the 1.2 MTN XL fabric.

I don't mind ordering an extra yard so I can try 13 & 12ft with a whipped hammock. But I need to decide what fabric now..
    Does a firmer fabric help eliminate calf ridge?

Thanks for all the suggestions by the way. It really helps me out!!!!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    gamemaster84, because you are focusing on hammock width and fabric firmness, remember, there are many players in the calf ridge game. Using a different fabric or hammock width does not guarantee you won't experience CR. For some, the only - and simplest - answer was to just put a small camp pillow under a knee, or both knees or ... experiment.

If by "flat lay" you are trying to mimic what it's like on a mattress, you may not get there, nor want to. For me, especially if I haven't been in a hammock for a while, the first few nights may feel a little funny as my body relearns it can relax more. But that weird feeling is different from calf ridge.

I have no experience in the world of 6'5", but if I were that tall, from my experience with "oversized" hammocks for my height, I would definitely look at something in the 12-foot range.

I'm so short that width has never come into play, but I did own a Hennessy Survivor (no longer made) for a while. That thing was so big that I felt like a single person living in a 3-bedroom house. I could get into any position I wanted. So for you, at 6'5", longer is better.

Someday I may sell my BIAS (no longer in business) XL DL camper - I believe it is 12 ft and the double layer brings the weight limit up to at least 350 lbs. That's sort of what you'd shoot for.

I bought the XL Camper because I thought I'd be giving classes one day a large person would want to try a hammock out. For someone 6'5", I'd pull out the BIAS XL.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I am 6'4"and completely understand your problem ! One question, are you a side sleeper or back sleeper? If you are exclusively a back sleeper, a big bridge hammock such as a big guy bridge by bill townsend would work quite well. I really like the big guy bridge, but as a side sleeper itsnt very comfortable for me- puts a twist in my back due to my long legs. (There is a work - around by switching the head and foot end that helps. ). I had the same issue sleeping on my side in a 12 foot hyper d extra wide gathered end. (Wonderful fabric- really soft!). With the wider gathered end, I found using an underquilt can be a challenge- a non asym trailwinder from sld seemed to work very well.
    At the moment, I am experimenting with pdxhangers 90 degree hammock design- not finished but the results look promising! There is also amok and cross hammock?
    Last edited by stevebo; 05-23-2023 at 15:03.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    gamemaster84, because you are focusing on hammock width and fabric firmness, remember, there are many players in the calf ridge game. Using a different fabric or hammock width does not guarantee you won't experience CR. For some, the only - and simplest - answer was to just put a small camp pillow under a knee, or both knees or ... experiment.

If by "flat lay" you are trying to mimic what it's like on a mattress, you may not get there, nor want to. For me, especially if I haven't been in a hammock for a while, the first few nights may feel a little funny as my body relearns it can relax more. But that weird feeling is different from calf ridge.

I have no experience in the world of 6'5", but if I were that tall, from my experience with "oversized" hammocks for my height, I would definitely look at something in the 12-foot range.

I'm so short that width has never come into play, but I did own a Hennessy Survivor (no longer made) for a while. That thing was so big that I felt like a single person living in a 3-bedroom house. I could get into any position I wanted. So for you, at 6'5", longer is better.

Someday I may sell my BIAS (no longer in business) XL DL camper - I believe it is 12 ft and the double layer brings the weight limit up to at least 350 lbs. That's sort of what you'd shoot for.

I bought the XL Camper because I thought I'd be giving classes one day a large person would want to try a hammock out. For someone 6'5", I'd pull out the BIAS XL.
    Thanks for you're detailed and explanation!
    I was wondering if fabric has a bearing in CF. My first night was horrible. After some videos from shug and a lot of experimenting at home I found a good lay without CF.
    I understand a flay lay isn't true flat. The "problem" now is that I find myself a bit restricted. There isn't much room to move if any. Plus if I see videos of others how the may in the diagonal I don't have that room.

And since l like making things

Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    I am 6'4"and completely understand your problem ! One question, are you a side sleeper or back sleeper? If you are exclusively a back sleeper, a big bridge hammock such as a big guy bridge by bill townsend would work quite well. I really like the big guy bridge, but as a side sleeper itsnt very comfortable for me- puts a twist in my back due to my long legs. I had the same issue sleeping on my side in a 12 foot hyper d extra wide gathered end. (Wonderful fabric- really soft!). With the wider gathered end, I found using an underquilt can be a challenge- a non asym trailwinder from sld seemed to work very well.
    At the moment, I am experimenting with pdxhangers 90 degree hammock design- not finished but the results look promising! There is also amok and cross hammock?
    At home I'm a side sleeper. In my hammock I sleep on my back because well....thats the only position I can lay in, in my hammock.

I'm curious to the design you mentioned. I need to check that!
    But good point in the quilt and a wide hammock, I haven't thought about that..

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    I think the 90 degree type hammock has great potential! I like the amok draumer, (havnt tried one but it looks good). Only draw back I can see is the weight, and you absolutely have to use a pad or it doesnt work. I also like the look of the cross hammock from Germany but Im too heavy for it- really cool design though! (And from what I understand, it also works without a pad). I attempted to make a diy version a while back- very complicated! I may revisit it in the future, but for now thats a dead end for me!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast