SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps

GSMNP High Peaks Loop April 2023

Posting as a trip report follow-up to my April hike of the central section of Great Smokies National Park near Mount LeConte. The loop was ~40 miles and I did it over a 3 night trip in early April. First night rained like crazy with wind gusts up to 35-40 mph on Mount LeConte. Second day was mostly rain until the afternoon at which point the clouds and mist cleared and I was able to get a clear view from Charlies Bunion. It snowed later that afternoon before dropping temps into the mid 20s overnight. Several of the Thru Hikers staying at Icewater Springs Shelter said it was the coldest night they had on the trail since starting in early March. Most of the loop was hammock friendly except for the shelter at Mt LeConte which didn't have many trees spaced well for hammocks. Not sure how much longer (post-pandemic) the Park Service will allow overnight camping outside of the shelters, but it was nice to take advantage of it while I still can.

I ran into a Park Ranger at Icewater Springs Shelter who was checking permits. He said they had already closed several campsites near Cosby Knob due to bear activity, and they had a persistent bear at Peck's Corner Shelter. In general the bears seem to move southwest across the Park beginning in mid March following the Thru Hiker bubble leftovers. I didn't encounter any on this trip but am usually good for a sighting or two on most ventures into the Park.

My hiking loop went generally as follows:

Day 1: Alum Cave =>Mount LeConte summit and day hikes around Mt LeConte staying behind the shelter in my Trail Lair on first night;

Day 2: Boulevard Trail =>Charlies Bunion => hike out AT ridgeline towards Laurel Top = > backtracking to Icewater Springs Shelter for second night;

Day 3: Appalachian Trail= > Clingman's Dome => Mount Collins Shelter for third night;

Day 4: quick hike out AT from Mt Collins Shelter to Road Prong Trail => Road Prong Trail to Chimney Tops => Chimney Tops out to Chimney Tops Trailhead at 441 => short road hike back to car at Alum Cave Trailhead.

Saw a bunch of wildlife on this trip including a large herd of elk grazing near 441 and the Blue Ridge Parkway, lots of wild turkey, white-tailed deer, and many species of birds. Spent the first night with two guys that came up from Texas, a group of friends from Florida, and another single camper from outside Knoxville. The second wave of the AT Bubble was coming through Clingmans/Mt Collins, Icewater Springs and Peck's Corner on my second night in the Park. Always good to hear their stories including several Thru Hikers on the trail from as far away as Austria.

Onto a few photos from the trip. Hope you enjoy.

Day 1 up Alum Cave Trail to Mount LeConte

Alum Cave Trail by Twistytee, on Flickr

Stairs to Alum Cave Trail by Twistytee, on Flickr

Alum Cave by Twistytee, on Flickr

Mt LeConte Shelter by Twistytee, on Flickr

Mt LeConte Trail to Cliff Top by Twistytee, on Flickr

Trail Lair at Mt LeConte by Twistytee, on Flickr

Top of Mt LeConte by Twistytee, on Flickr

Day 2 Boulevard Trail towards Charlies Bunion, AT ridgeline hike towards Laurel Top, Icewater Springs Shelter

Boulevard Trail by Twistytee, on Flickr

Charlie's Buinion by Twistytee, on Flickr

AT on the way to Charlie's Buinion by Twistytee, on Flickr

AT Ridgeline View to Laurel Top by Twistytee, on Flickr

Icewater Springs Shelter by Twistytee, on Flickr

Day 3 AT to Newfound Gap, Clingman's Dome, Mt Collins Shelter

Newfound Gap by Twistytee, on Flickr

AT to Clingmans 2 by Twistytee, on Flickr

Appalachain Trail to Mt Collins by Twistytee, on Flickr

AT to Mt Collins 2 by Twistytee, on Flickr

Clingmans Dome Observation Tower by Twistytee, on Flickr

Clingmans Dome Observation Tower View by Twistytee, on Flickr

Day 4 At to Road Prong Trail

Appalachain Trail Indian Gap by Twistytee, on Flickr

Road Prong Trail to Chimney Tops by Twistytee, on Flickr

Chimney Tops Trail by Twistytee, on Flickr

Chimney Tops Looksout 2 by Twistytee, on Flickr

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    EE / UGQ / SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Typical Mar/Apr weather in the Smokies - could be beautiful or could be as cold as the depths of winter. Great photos. I've spent weeks in GSMNP but haven't yet made it to LeConte.

• + New Posts