Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images

10 Mile Hike and Camp With Views in Harriman

Took 2 of my kids to Harriman for a short 10 mile hike on Friday and we found a great spot to camp with pretty amazing views. The hike was typical Harriman ups and downs with some scenic views, rocks and lakes, 1 of which we stopped and ate lunch at. It was also nice because we did not really see any other hikers, maybe 1 or 2 at most the entire day. Many of the water crossing were near dry which was surprising for mid spring, but we were able to find water before making dry camp for the night, hi up on a small hill overlooking a beautiful lake and many small rolling mountains across. This campsite would be pristine for sunset views, unfortunately it was cloudy and overcast, as wind and rain were in the overnight and morning forcast. Either way, we had a great day hiking, and to start the day, as we were pulling up to the trailhead parking lot, we saw a HUGE coyote standing on the side of the road. I stopped the car and actually thought for a second it was a wolf, because usually the coyote are small and mangy stragly looking, and this was a BIG BOY.. he just stood there staring us down. I’m pretty sure there are no wolves in Harriman.. Possibly further up North Into the Catskills, anyway.. He was LARGE. That was actually my first time seeing a coyote up close and personal. I always hear them screaming and howling at dusk or during the night, but never had the pleasure of such a close encounter. Well, here is a short video I threw together of the overnight trip. It was good to spend the day hiking with 2 of my kids and get to camp in such a nice spot with them. They slept in their hammocks and I slept in my bivy under my tarp. It was my Borah Gear solo silpoly tarp, being small at 5.8×9 and such a breezy evening with rain forecast I did pitch it very very low to the ground, much lower on the one side that the wind was hammering from, as you may notice in the video. Again, that the advantage of using a small tarp and having experience with it and different weather scenarios. I also used for the first time a Zpacks Solo plus bathtub ground sheet, which I actually did like to have. I used my MLD FKT quilt with MLD solo bivy, tried out the new Neoair Xlite NXT regular/ wide pad.. I like it. The 3 inches so what, can’t tell difference from 2 inches, but this pad I decided to go full rectangle instead of mummy style.. and I slept like a KING. I carried everything in my Zpacks Nero 38 L pack and had plenty not room to spare. Honestly, could have gotten away with using the smaller Sub-Nero pack, but I recently decided to ditch my “fanny” pack and try using the Zpacks hip belt pockets instead.. Another gear choice that I am enjoying (one less item to keep track of). Any questions or comments feel free …..

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Great trip, and so cool to do it with your kids. Not many youngsters these days can hike 10 miles! I've camped at that spot and it is indeed fantastic except for a bit of road noise... earplugs.

I've heard plenty of coyotes in Harriman — usually around 2:30am — but I've not actually seen one in a couple of years. Living must be easy if they're getting that big. I saw a bear near Lake Nawahunta a couple of years ago and he was a Big 'un and a male/female pair near Dutch Doctor a couple of autumns ago. The male was HUGE. Clearly, less human pressure is allowing them to flourish. I've seen the aftermath of their garbage cans raids at Silvermine and Tiorati.

OMG you're using a hip belt?!
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Yeah Bob.. he was really really big. And yes that spot is awesome.. but i did here road noise at night.. the main downfall from camping there. It wasnt much.. but at about 2 am i heard what sounded like a motorcycle race in the distance..

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    Nice video. Great that your kids joined. Mine are a bit older than yours but unfortunately they never did catch-on to my backpacking adventures. They’re also like oil and water after a day together... Good tip on the Ursack waterproofing. I hate how water logged mine gets.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    @ Twistytee thankyou!! Yes the Silpoly slip over cover for the Ursack is perfection. A few years ago after hiking the Loyalsock trail with my son, and it rained hard overnight, both our Ursacks became soaked.. it added some weight ( whatever ) but it was also soggy to throw in our packs when we packed up.. so I got the idea and had the Silpoly slip cover made up.. works great ever since!

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    Another good video Dirtbag... pretty cool spot to camp & I'll bet it's a popular one too! And it's cool too that the kids got out on the trail with you. I'm sure they had a great time.

I'm normally going out solo but when my son can join me, it makes the trip all the better & we have great time together. So glad he developed an interest in hiking with his old man!

What was the water sterilization gizmo you were fiddling with towards the end of the video? A Steripen??? Couldn't make out some of the audio.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Thanks obdewlax. Its probably a popular site even though its an unmarked trail..and close to a road too.. But it was mostly clean, though some small pieces of broken glass in the fire pit.. Other then that, it was all good and no people came thru at all. Yes that was a steripen Ultra.. I Love that pen!!

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That was a cool video, and a fun hike. Sharing that beautiful scenery and time with your kids is unbeatable. I hate to tell you though, the kids didn't seem to struggle on that hill as much as someone else did. My son can out hike me too.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF
    Insulation
    HG premium down
    Images
    Hahhaa.. Yes I got winded.. It was slightly steep.. And I was filming with one hand and talking.. So they did one up me!! Heck.. Even without all that 16 and 17 years old better move like a gazel up those hills!

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    depends...
    Insulation
    depends...
    Suspension
    Knots and straps
    Looks like a killer trip my dude!! Its beautiful country up that way.

My old pack had hip belt pockets that always seemed to get in the way with my arm swing (not a crazy big deal but my fleece shows signs of wear after our AT trip last year). I have recently added ULA shoulder pockets to my new Etowah Gear pack and man i've fallen in love with them!! I hope those hip belt pockets work out for ya.

-INCH-

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast