Tarp
    Big blue monster
    Insulation
    DIY fleece
    Suspension
    Becket hitch
    Images

I Love my Over-cover. Do you?

While debating my first hammock order, I was really unsure of getting an over-cover. (Especially because our dear Shug never uses one!) I'm so glad I got one.

I bought a Dream Hammock Sparrow with an over-cover and bug net. I made underquilt layers with a cheap synthetic sleeping bag and three airline blankets. I have a warm Big Agnes Sleeping Bag. I got a cheap blue Poly-tarp. Yes, I'm on a super tight budget.

We live in the high foothills of the Himalayas, Most of my camping has been on our balcony, with 12 nights solo camping up in the hills. I camped through hail, days of rain, and temperatures close to freezing. We've had a late spring with lots of snow and cold. Now that the weather is warmer, I miss the over-cover and am considering using the bug net even though there are no bugs.

The over-cover was used every night. It was definitely much warmer than without.
    I love zipping it up around me, and being cozy in my shelter.
    It keeps the footbox of my sleeping bag inside the hammock.
    My pillow never falls out during the night.
    With the Dream Hammock, the over-cover improves the diagonal lay because of its asymmetrical design.

What has been your experience with an over-cover. Would you recommend it for a new hammock camper?

I'm not sure if I love your over-cover. Maybe it would be love at first sight but I'd probably have to get to know it better...

Seriously, That's a great hammock with nice option choices. I had an over-cover on a WBBBXL and it didn't see much use. I think it really depends where you camp and when. Nice to have anything that keeps everything contained and not falling on the ground, one of the reasons I like an integrated net.

I think over-covers can be great as long as they are able to adequately vent any moisture.

Enjoy.
    Last edited by TominMN; 05-19-2023 at 11:42.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have a no-longer-made Envy-S. It's like a TrailLair because it has a built-in cover and net. I like that I can partially unzip the cover to see what's going on, but still have the bug net deployed and the cover still acting as a windbreak and privacy screen. Its use is more to block a streetlight when I camp out at home.

You are still going to have a tarp, so I understand the cover is a bit redundant. Given that, if weight were any kind of concern, I wouldn't use it until the fall/winter season when I might need a little extra with a cold wind coming through. Or if the city decided to put a Freeway level streetlight on the bank of Todd Lake.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    My Trail Lair has the older version of the winter cover, which zips on the outside of the net; I have found it great in really cold weather, because it does have enough open space on the ends to avoid major condensation. It’s also be helpful when I’ve been caught out by colder weather than expected; it can buy me a few TQ degrees, like a UQ protector might below. I wish I had the newer version which zips inside, but not enough to try to get it changed. For my Ridgerunner, I have the winter sock, which is great, but doesn’t have vents (I wish); I have to leave it partially unzipped to avoid waking in a swamp. So that’s an issue when it’s cold enough to want the extra cover, but not cold enough to vanquish every insect. Also, you have to disassemble the suspension to get it on, which makes it a bit tricky. But awesome when it’s really cold.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Raladd, the newer RR sock is a little easier to deal with. The newer RR - several years old now - did away with that hardware at the apex of the dogbones (also the hardware that held the spreader bars). Now you deal with it as you wish - like just using a carabiner or soft shackle. So there is nothing to disassemble to side the sock on the dogbones. Also, now the spreader bars are outside the sock.

The sock comes standard with a zipper door on each side and there's an interior D-ring at the top ends of the sock (to attach the bug net). So you can have your sock and bug net too - for "...when it’s cold enough to want the extra cover, but not cold enough to vanquish every insect. "
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-21-2023 at 14:31.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

I love mine ! I love my chameleon top cover . I have two. I'm in my hammock gear now with the bug net but I kind of miss my zippup cocoon.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    It's got to be really cold before I use an overcover. The condensation is just too much for me. But when it's really cold, yeah, I'll use a top cover.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    I have an over cover for my Pinnacle 360. It's vented on both sides at the peak so condensation is not a real problem. It's a great winter hammock but too heavy for the summer heat in Florida.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Hvn
    Insulation
    Apex/Down
    Suspension
    Birch/Beetle buckl
    I actually have the newer versions of both sock and RR; the dogbones on the Ridgerunner larks-head to a continuous loop, which connects to my suspension. I have no idea whether that’s easier or harder to undo than the previous hardware-based version, but I find undoing a larks-head in dyneema that has been under load to be a challenge. I do appreciate having the spreader bars outside the sock, though, and will remember that trick of connecting the outside ring on the net to the inside ring on the sock :-). Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    UCR/Spider Straps
    I have the revised version of the Trail Lair with the wind shield that zips from the inside. I only use it in winter mode when temps fall below freezing, otherwise I prefer to have some air movement within the hammock. I estimate that it adds 5-7 degrees of warmth based on thermometer readings inside and outside the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast