Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5

Dyneema composite tarp and guylines

About to purchase a Dyneema tarp (cuben fiber) and am coming from a silnylon tarp. With the silnylon tarp, I made self tensioning guylines to take care of sag. I understand that Dyneema tarps have much less stretch and am wondering if self tensioning guylines are completely unnecessary or if there would still be a benefit to them.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I generally look at shock cord as the weakest link in any tarp system. It's a crappy product that offers very little benefit in any application. I've been using DCF tarps for the past 12 years and cannot imagine any benefit to using shock cord. But some people swear by it, like Shug.

I use Zing-It guylines with no shock cord.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Well even with the shockcord, it's running parallel to my zing it providing tension. If it breaks, the line is still there, though I've never had shock any which cord break. I'm just wondering if there's a need for it with Dyneema, or does it not sag like silnylon? If you're only using zing it with a Dyneema tarp, does it remain taught all night?

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I don't use the self tensioning shock cord on my CF Hex and I have had no problems with it.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    The only reason I could see to add shock cord to guy lines with a DCF tarp is to keep it from getting ripped if you trip over a guy line. It isn't that big of a deal to add shock cord (i've done it with the internal tensioner that Dutch shows here: https://youtu.be/dVVpA_AJb5M) but I doubt it is worth it. Prove me wrong!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I don't see a need for it myself. The main reason I hear people use it is in case they trip over their tie outs to absorb the stress instead of the tarp. Never really had that problem since I have reflective line and pretty much know that they are there. I also like my tarps really tight without any sag or give. Some say that makes it easier for a puncture or tear, but haven't had a problem yet.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    Well if you have it pulled tight, I don't see how shock cord would help if you tripped over it. Would only really give extra stretch if it had already loosened up and the tension was on the shock cord and not on the zing it.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfzip
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Katabatic, EE, HG
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    If there is a question about shock cord breaking, try using Dyneema shock cord (I get mine at West Marine). Much less stretchy, UV resistant, and when fully extended much stronger.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema Winter
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider 1.5
    I've never even had regular shock cord break. Was just wondering if there was any point to put it on guylines for a Dyneema tarp

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    The only time I've used shock cord was when I was using Dutchware hook worms. I had shock cord loops on the tarp corner D rings, and my guy lines attached to the stakes with the hook worm on the line and snapped on to the shock cord loop. Worked ok, but the biggest issue was storing the lines by wrapping them around the stakes. Put a lot of twist on the cordage after a few days of setting up and taking down. Plus, had to roll up each individually.

Since then, I've gotten lazy and just attach the 8' Zing-It lines to the tarp D rings (via larkshead), marlin spike hitch the free end to a stake, pull it tight and set the stake. Take down is easy...just throw the guylines along the length of the tarp when rolling it up, and pull over the mesh snake skin. All my Warbonnet tarps (MJ/TF/SF) are sil poly, so I don't really notice the sag too much except on the Superfly. The Mamajamba and Thunderfly

For DCF tarps, there are posts detailing how bulky they are with snake skins. In that case, I defer to the 'Cmoulder Method' of DCF tarp stowage. He gets it pretty compact compared to snake skins. One of these days, WB will come out with a DCF Thunderfly and I'll finally splurge for a DCF tarp.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...folding+method

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast