Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Oh. Yes the work with the NAMA Line very well..... I need to update the description

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I noticed a photo on your site which showed the NAMA claws on the reflective in one photo that you have up - so I got a few to test out. Like I mentioned earlier, they are very reasonably priced and the shipping is very economical as well. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    In my experience, the whole rationale behind using shock cord is to mitigate many folks' tendency to pitch tarps "spang" tight, as Phantom Grappler calls it. Which is, I infer, tighter than a crab's sphincter. This causes delaminating and debonding in the corners. But someone could, presumably, stretch the shock cord to its limits and end up spang tight anyway.

It's especially important to use a continuous ridge line and NOT a split ridge line, which puts a ton of stress on those points. Far better to use a spang tight CRL and suspend the tarp under it with Prusiks or Nama Claws.

I don't use shock cord on any of the points but I make sure to use a CRL and to snug those corners "just so" and no more... more doesn't help anyway.
    i strongly agree about the spang tight epidemic. i'm not sure how much shock cord helps prevent it. it's worth talking about it just for the crab sphincter reference though, i might have to quote you on that. i'll need to do some research on crab anatomy though, i somehow missed that part.

if the CRL is spang tight, the tarp hanging underneath it with prusiks might be nice and cozy when you set it up, but it will either slide on the prusiks in the wind, or get overloaded anyway, when wind deflects it enough. if the tarp is not dyneema, that's not as much of a problem for the tarp, obviously (but still a problem for the trees). the angle is the problem, but i won't go into that again here.

Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    (...)
    If your pitch doesn't allow for the best water drainage, you can develop a "swimming pool" - especially in porch mode - and that can be surprising if the wind dumps it on your shoes at the foot of your hammock. For that reason, I usually only deploy one pole in porch mode to better control the rainwater run-off direction. A shock cord on a corner may act as a safety valve. When the water builds up heavy enough, the cord stretches enough to change the shape of the side wall and spill the water - where you want it.
    that's neat if you can make it work, but i doubt it is trivial (the most typical thing that happens is that aswater gathers, it sags more, and more water gathers, and so on. more stretch will only help if you engineer the pitch to do exactly that; i would really liketo see such pitch, if somebody ever did it, and it worked, it will be very interesting to study it.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Cougarmeat might not use them here but I sure do! In fact I use a heavier gauge shock cord than most would. Why? Heavy winds. Not only do we get strong winds (over 15mph) more often than not, and some gusts as high as 40mph+, but it's pretty normal to have really strong winds right before it starts raining. Like the elements are checking to see if they can rip your tarp away before dumping cold rain on you.
    I feel that shock cord has played a big part in the fact that my tarp isn't shredded.
    I do need to try the shock cord tied inline (since I don't use spliceable guylines) for a no-fail backup.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    i call that "living the life".

i think you'd really like(be served well by) the gravity based tensioning systems i've been designing in the past few years (it's the kind of stuff which only makes sense if one vehicle-camps regularly and deals with significant winds regularly; so a bit of a niche setup; the rough idea is to replace "elastic" tensioning as much as possible with gravity based tensioning, this on one hand limits the load on the tieouts to a predefined value (even during wind gusts), while stil keeping the pitch taut, and otoh does away with "harmonic resonance" effects (buzzing, flapping, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    There is a lot of really valuable experience being put into the Hammock bible, that this site is. I, so far, plan to change my approach as far as hanging the ridge-line below the tarp, as I though was right with my Warbonnet and Simply-light designs. The one time I tried the ridge line above, during a moderate side blow wind, I had the tarp drop down a few inches as my prussics' slid towards each other. I blamed that on my "dumb" experiment, but now know that it was the zing it on zing it, with too few turns. I plan to continue my using zing it on my ridgelines, but want to ask others if using my 2mm glowwire for prussics' would likely hold better? Or vice versa, if there is any great advantage that way?
    dyneema on dyneema is definitely not ideal, but it can be made to work, especially with thinner dyneema for the friction hitch; much better to use something else for the hitch though; however, the "real" problem here is using the "wrong knot", if it is indeed the prusik you were using; try the blake hitch instead, there's a few others which work better than the prusik (well, frankly, all of them do ), but starting with the blake is not wrong.

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    I have a terrible time with knots. Even the simple ones. My left hand and leg has some nerve damage that comes and goes, but sometimes I can't even tie off a simple Tomato plant properly because the hand does not do what the mind tells it. So hardware is my savior in that area - and after hearing of them in this thread, I'll be experimenting with the NAMA claws as soon as they arrive. They look like just what the doctor ordered - for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    I have a terrible time with knots. Even the simple ones. My left hand and leg has some nerve damage that comes and goes, but sometimes I can't even tie off a simple Tomato plant properly because the hand does not do what the mind tells it. So hardware is my savior in that area - and after hearing of them in this thread, I'll be experimenting with the NAMA claws as soon as they arrive. They look like just what the doctor ordered - for me.
    ah, that can be tough indeed. definitely worth giving the nama stuff a try, i personally never have, can't easily get them around here, but the design is refreshingly simple and different enough to put a smile on, that's got to be worth something.

having said that, keep in mind that knots doesn't mean you have to (keep on) tying them: there's solutions where you tie them just once, just as installing hardware. solutions i came up with that i presented here are like that basically, they actually require less dexterity in the field than most hardware; i designed them like that because i too had to design for a "customer" who had trouble with knots (though the trouble was not motoric, just strong aversion to learning them). all i'm saying is, i wouldn't rule out knot based solutions, some of them can be "install and forget", and even easier to operate than a lot of the hardware.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Eldorado
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    WBWookie/HG PHX
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I picked up a couple Nama Claws for my dyneema tarp with a Dutchware CRL. I got tired of struggling wit prusiks ! The Nama Claws are the best thing since sliced bread !

Quote Originally Posted by Cragdwella View Post
    I picked up a couple Nama Claws for my dyneema tarp with a Dutchware CRL. I got tired of struggling wit prusiks ! The Nama Claws are the best thing since sliced bread !
    But what was the best thing before sliced bread came along?

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    But what was the best thing before sliced bread came along?
    Sliced bread came about in 1928, when the Chillicothe baking company in Missouri released Kleen Maid Sliced Bread. Before that came the light bulb, the telegraph, or printing press. Each of these could arguably be the "best" thing, although I know how much disdain this community has for describing something as "best".
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123