DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    HG - Economy 20deg
    Suspension
    DW Beetlebuckle

Hello from Tennessee

Thanks for all the info on this site, don't know what I would do without some of this information. Been backpacking over 35 years and always in a tent. My buds have been in hammocks for a few years now and finally got to do another hike with them. First time in a hammock and have to admit, best sleep I ever had. I will never be in a tent when backpacking again!!!!

Here's the setup for first trip: ENO technest, Warbonnet Cloudburst tarp, and therma rest z pad.

Lessons learned:

• Be able to set up tarp quicker during rain. Luckily it rained before or after tarp setup so wasn't a huge deal, but need to do that faster next time. Plan to buy Dutchware Stingerz for that and should make a big difference.
    • Closed ends on tarps would be nice, but not that important or at least wasn't on this trip.
    • z pad was comfortable, but my butt side of sleeping bag was wet each morning.

So trying to figure out quilts vs sleeping bag and pad. Never had down, only synthetic and at my age weight of pack is pretty important. Looks like most are recommending hammock gear.....

Appreciate any input or suggestions. Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hello from your neighbor North Carolina! Sounds like you've already had great experiences with hammocks, which is awesome. What you'll hear from 99% of folks on the forums is that you will eventually want to invest in a down underquilt and matching top quilt. You're right that places like Hammock Gear have options, as do many of the cottage vendors.

You should see if there are any group hangs in your area and see what I mean. Pretty much 100% down quilts (although I use a pad in my Amok and my Warbonnet Ridgerunner). The other thing you'll see is that most folks (i.e., a majority) opt for an 11' netted gathered end hammock. Your ENO is only 9'6". I have used pretty much your setup after adding a structural ridgeline to my ENO, and it worked fine for a few early trips.

Look forward to seeing you some day at a regional hang!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    HG - Economy 20deg
    Suspension
    DW Beetlebuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    You should see if there are any group hangs in your area and see what I mean.
    How do I find that out? And thanks for the other info, will look into that. Spent many miles in the GSMNP, AT through North Ga and some of the AT through NC. Many fond memories. Getting older but still enjoy, but weight is more important now..... my joints ache to much

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bamacummins View Post
    How do I find that out?
    The forums have a dedicated area for each region of the country; here's ours: Southeast (hammockforums.net)

Additionally I know Dutchware's website also has a listing they try and keep updated: Hammock Hang Events - Gatherings & Calendar | Dutchware (dutchwaregear.com)

Hope to see you at one of them!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Try using your sleeping bag in quilt mode. You might find it enlightening in a hammock.
    The damp buttocks on the pad was the result of condensation as a pad acts as a vapor barrier and does not breathe like and under quilt would.
    Enjoy the hammock quest.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Welcome from below you in Alabama! I spent many years in an ENO with a pad. Shug is right, try opening your bag and using like a top quilt. You will eventually want to upgrade to a bottom quilt, down being lightest and easiest to pack.
    We sometimes have group hangs in the Bankhead National Forest which isn't too far a drive from Chattanooga. The next one will probably be in the fall when it cools down.

Have Fun!
    Charlotte

Hammock
    DW Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    HG - Economy 20deg
    Suspension
    DW Beetlebuckle
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Welcome from below you in Alabama! I spent many years in an ENO with a pad. Shug is right, try opening your bag and using like a top quilt. You will eventually want to upgrade to a bottom quilt, down being lightest and easiest to pack.
    We sometimes have group hangs in the Bankhead National Forest which isn't too far a drive from Chattanooga. The next one will probably be in the fall when it cools down.

Have Fun!
    Charlotte
    Thanks, yes Bankhead is close to where I grew up, and have camped at Brushy Lake. My GG Grandfather homesteaded 160 acres there in the mid 1800's.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    There's great hikes and places to hang in the Bankhead and Sipsey Wilderness. Lots of waterfalls.

Charlotte

• + New Posts