11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps

New Wisconsin Hammock Camping (and Slacklining) Rules

While volunteering at the Wisconsin DNR's OutWIGo event today, I learned new rules for hammock camping & slack-lining recently came out. Chris (new friend I made today, DNR employee and five year hammock camper) was able to edit them to ensure made sense. He said WI copied the rules from what Florida was using. Here they are....

◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    A good idea to protect trees…possibly gone too far

Enforcement will be hit and miss, like speeding on highway. While we are all for law and order, I’m always passed by drivers going 5 to 10 mph and more over the limit
    I wonder what the penalties are. If fines are low and sparsely enforced, then many hammock campers will be likely to hang their hammocks with no changes.
    Some of the rules make good sense
    Nails hammered into trees
    Hanging on trees that are not strong enough to keep from bending, leaning or being partially uprooted

Maybe these rules are needed in heavily used campsites. Maybe the trees and bark gets worn out

Good luck

Next thing you know, they might make a new rule
    No fat people in hammock—over stressing our trees!

Now I need a snack and it’s your fault!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Hopefully, this is a harbinger that a hammock option will be taken into account when designing campgrounds. Around here, it seems the only trees left in a campground are those boarding two sites. As such, hanging a hammock can easily become a territorial dispute. In Zion last summer, we read that hammocks "were allowed". When we got there, we found they were allowed only in certain places and clearly not in every campsite. It seemed that if the only trees were on/near the border between two sites, they weren't allowed.

For a while now, my solution has been to use the Jeep as one anchor and a reachable tree as the other. Now that I have Solo poles (and maybe eventually a Tensa4), I don't even need the tree. Mclean Metalworks is local and if I can arrange a deal with them, that's another hang option.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Also, by "removed by property staff" one may reasonably infer "cut down and destroyed/damaged/confiscated"; so I would definitely recommend a certain amount of caveat emptor when stealth camping.
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Warbonnet minifly
    Insulation
    EE underquilt, Kel
    Suspension
    Dynaweave Beckett
    I stayed at Rocky Bayou state park campground in Florida where are the rules were “hammocks are only allowed inside the bounds of campsites or in sites where hammock posts are installed.” I had a tent, however my friend was in his Eno tied to two trees just outside the campsite “limits” in some tall grass. He got yelled at the next morning but they didn’t fine us. Keep in mind, there were no campsites that had hangable trees within the ‘bounds’.

I think we should do our best to be vocal with park management employees to start a dialogue about this situation, and inform them on the truth that (if I had to guess) 80% of hammock hangers will make less of an impact on the soil and vegetation than tent/RV campers. I’ve seen more RV drivers get out of their vehicle and start hammering nails into trees for tarps and clothesline than I have hammockers. Just as [mention]Phantom Grappler [/mention] said, it’s likely a protective measure that has gone a bit too far due to lack of information and a few bad apples in the hammocker community. Just like anything else.

Just my 2 cents

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Mentally, I'm still in the Smokies"
    https://lighterpack.com/r/x0j67m

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    The most damage I see at campsites, is hatchet, axe, and machete damage to trees near fire rings. Some of these man-childs are hacking into bark of large live trees. I suspect, most of this damage is done by tent campers. Many times the hacking is on trees that are ideal for hanging hammocks.

If any new rules are going to be implemented—
    Maybe prohibit carrying hatchets, axes, and machetes in state and national forests.

The damage they cause, greatly exceeds the occasional branch trimming done by hammock campers.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Time to break out the Tensa Stands!!!
    Shug O'stand

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Dynaweave straps
    Hi Karla, do you know if the new hammocking and slackpacking rules have been published on the WI DNR website yet?
    Last edited by Trinn; 05-30-2023 at 06:45. Reason: edited for clarity

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    So, I have one question: "Padding must be used around the tree at the anchoring point"... What commercial options are available for such a padding option? I have yet to see anything like this available on any vendor websites that I know of. I see things out there for slackline applications (https://www.amazon.com/ZenMonkey-Sla.../dp/B07496KY1Y) but nothing specific to hammocks.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Diamond/Rectangle
    Insulation
    Onewind/sleep bag
    Suspension
    spider loops
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    So, I have one question: "Padding must be used around the tree at the anchoring point"... What commercial options are available for such a padding option? I have yet to see anything like this available on any vendor websites that I know of. I see things out there for slackline applications (https://www.amazon.com/ZenMonkey-Sla.../dp/B07496KY1Y) but nothing specific to hammocks.
    I've been using padding cut out of an old sleep pad. I don't know if it is in compliance with the diktat, but it seems to work and is small and light enough for backpacking. I have an old gardening cushion (thicker) I intended to cut into next.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast