11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Three feet off the ground eeehay. This rule-law-regulation would criminalize TreeFool one of our most fun hangers. TreeFool (spelling) was known to hammock camp high in trees 30 (?) feet.
    Yes, you are correct. TreeFool would not be able to do that in WI DNR owned properties.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    College students who enjoy high rise hammock hotels will be deprived of higher education. Stunts like these, give students valuable life lessons in cooperation, physics, including the law of gravity
    I hear the tongue-in-cheek humor here, but in all honesty, campus properities have their own rules are not DNR properties.

Next new rule could be: Hammock hangers must enroll in a hammock hanging course, certified by the state, pass an exam and be licensed by the state every five years.
    Shhhh, I know they need money, but please don't give them any ideas!
    I respect each state’s laws. Given the laziness and pack mentality of state legislators, how long will it be, before other states legislatures copy and paste these new well meaning rules-laws-regulations?
    It's not WI state legislators who drew up these rules. It's DNR workers, it's the park rangers, and friends groups. And since I was told these rules were taken from Florida, I agree it won't be long before we see these in other states.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    My posts have been in part jesting and joking, combined with real worry about excessive regulation.
    Phantom fires off, without all the facts or thoroughly reading all new regulations.

Karla, I frequently read threads of your group hangs, to give me ideas for hangs down here in NC.
    You are inspirational!

When I read about making it against rules for two people to hang off same trees…..
    Gives Phantom cause for pause

Will it be illegal for man and woman to hang in tandem off two trees under same tarp?
    Will a mom or dad not be able to hang bunk bed style with one of their kids?

Can a parent share their hammock with their small child?

What about two hammocks hanging off of three trees in a row—sharing the middle tree?

What are the penalties for not adhering to all these new rules.
    Arrest?
    Expulsion from campground?
    A ticket or a fine? And how much$$??

Do these regulations cover your whole state? Or just certain areas?

I know that trees that are used for hanging hammocks in busy areas might suffer some damage to bark. And some damage to tree caused by heavy foot traffic, causing compaction of soil around tree roots.

But far more damage is done at numbered campsites that are bulldozed flat of all trees and grass, and then compacted by cars, trucks and camping trailers. Once soil is compacted it takes a long time to recover. Add to that, man-childs hacking bark of live trees with machetes, axes, and hatchets.

Spring is here, with new life for us all!

Hammock
    DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    LL-40/HG 0
    Suspension
    Becket hitch!
    the biggest problem is if you compare educated hammock campers to non educated hammock hangers, we educated hammock hangers and a smaller group. So they need to make these rules for people that have no idea and do not care about learning how to do it properly.
    To only step where others have stepped means not to have your own adventures. Live, Love, and Adventure so you may leave your own foot prints!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kattdogg View Post
    the biggest problem is if you compare educated hammock campers to non educated hammock hangers, we educated hammock hangers and a smaller group. So they need to make these rules for people that have no idea and do not care about learning how to do it properly.
    Just like about everything else.......
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    Dutchwear HalfZip
    Tarp
    Squidbilly made
    Insulation
    HG 20º Incubator,
    Suspension
    Straps with beetle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla "with a k" View Post
    While volunteering at the Wisconsin DNR's OutWIGo event today, I learned new rules for hammock camping & slack-lining recently came out. Chris (new friend I made today, DNR employee and five year hammock camper) was able to edit them to ensure made sense. He said WI copied the rules from what Florida was using. Here they are....

That is too much. I am all for taking care of the trees but that is over the top on the rules.
    "Lets drive up to the Hills and get lost somewhere..." Chinatown by Folk Soul Revival
    Life is a Thru Hike... Hike Well. ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Silverpalm2x, It might help if you consider all the situations the park officials have to deal with - and the legal ramifications if they don't post "rules". For example, if someone hangs their hammock improperly and it fails (they fall) they can sue the park - I'm not saying they will win, but it is costly and time-consuming just the same. Then you have boundary issues, when - especially fueled by alcohol - there can be escalating disputes over the real estate when the trees are on the border between two sites.

Buddhist Monks have about 227 precepts (rules of conduct more than commandments). Originally they had none. Then, as situations of bad conduct came up, a new precept was added. In other words, it didn't start out with some controlling entity wanting to exert power for power's sake.

I think evolving Hammock Hanging rules in campsites are the same. If it weren't for unruly and destructive behavior - not by any HammockForums readers of course - these regulations probably wouldn't appear. And each regulation is a confrontation opportunity for some poor college student with a summer job to have to deal with a potential drunk, weapon-carrying, "You're not the boss of me", camper. So I'm sure they don't make those rules up for fun, but to keep the environment and other campers safe.

That said, I also object when I see wording - Zion National Park is an example - where they say Hammocks are permitted but when you get there, you find out there are only limited sites where hammocks can be used. And when you are picking your site online, and they show a photo of the site and you see potential trees, there is no way to know if those trees are off limits (too small or bordering another site).
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 07-09-2023 at 19:16.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    What does a slackline have to do with a hammock except for trees? Padding on the trees I can understand. I have some 2 inch tree straps and they are massive to say the least. No hanging on oak trees only? Why? Just trying to figure this out not that I am going to WI or anything like that.

Quote Originally Posted by peeeeetey View Post
    What does a slackline have to do with a hammock except for trees? Padding on the trees I can understand. I have some 2 inch tree straps and they are massive to say the least. No hanging on oak trees only? Why? Just trying to figure this out not that I am going to WI or anything like that.
    It looks like you might want to skip Florida too!

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    At a camp in Linville Gorge in NC we do have a couple of trees with indented rings on the trees from repeated hammock camping. I can agree with the bark protection.

Hammock
    Simply Light Designs Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD
    Insulation
    mixed variety
    Suspension
    Jeep, 4 inch Lift
    Quote Originally Posted by peeeeetey View Post
    I'm not well versed in it because I'm in the northern part of the state and oaks are rare in my area.
    But I'm still willing to voice my opinion without any real knowledge because this is the internet......lol
    I think the Oak rule is possibly due to Oak Wilt Disease. One factors that contributes to the spread is beetles carry a fungus from tree to tree. Tree wounds are where it enters a tree, and the beetles are attracted to wounds. So, I suppose tree straps create a possibility even if slight of creating a wound.
    Oak Wilt has become a pretty big concern in recent years from what I've heard.
    Again, there is no actual knowledge involved in this post, it's only a guess on my part.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast