Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Images
    Car camping in Zion 10 years ago, came back from the day's adventure and found a note on my hammock-"Please use padding between bark and tree". I asked for suggestions and was told to go to the recycling bin and get some cardboard. I did so and was back hanging again.

Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Trinn View Post
    Hi Karla, do you know if the new hammocking and slackpacking rules have been published on the WI DNR website yet?
    No clue. I'm guessing you've looked for them already? When I picked up the page, I was told they are new rules, but already in place. I would think they'd HAVE TO be on the website.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    So, I have one question: "Padding must be used around the tree at the anchoring point"... What commercial options are available for such a padding option? I have yet to see anything like this available on any vendor websites that I know of. I see things out there for slackline applications (https://www.amazon.com/ZenMonkey-Sla.../dp/B07496KY1Y) but nothing specific to hammocks.
    Funny you should mention that! I brought up this exact point to Dutch and Phi at the TrailHeadz hang this past weekend. Unsure if/when they would produce something. You could check with them.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 97 months

Hammock
    Warbonnet, Eldorado, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB thunderfly, etc
    Insulation
    WB Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings etc
    This thread smells of desperate optimism. "Hammocks not allowed on any designated state natural area"?? What on earth does that actually mean - no Federal forests within the state? If so, then that is the third state I'm crossing off of my travel list. If the bureaucrats want to marshal people such as me, who want to wild camp and stick me onto paying sites, then I regard such Wisconsin over-reach as a reason to not ever hammock there, after the constant aggravation I've experienced in Florida. In Florida I've found it a roll of the dice with a hammock, so much that it's not worth worth going into the state for wait for little fuhrer's interpretation of the rules. I've even had a female park ranger tell me where to hang a hammock when I arrived and in the late afternoon a male ranger came by telling me it is not allowed to hang anywhere. Oh, and that was after paying 35 bucks per night plus a three dollar fee. It's getting more and more set up for car campers and RV's. Hammockers SHOULD be more worried. Slippery slopes start start off gently at first.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
    This thread smells of desperate optimism. "Hammocks not allowed on any designated state natural area"?? What on earth does that actually mean - no Federal forests within the state? If so, then that is the third state I'm crossing off of my travel list. If the bureaucrats want to marshal people such as me, who want to wild camp and stick me onto paittle fuhrer's interpretation of the rules. I've even had a female park ranger tell me where to hang a hammock when I arrived and in the late afternoon a male ranger came by telling me it is not allowed to haying sites, then I regard such Wisconsin over-reach as a reason to not ever hammock there, after the constant aggravation I've experienced in Florida. In Florida I've found it a roll of the dice with a hammock, so much that it's not worth worth going into the state for wait for lng anywhere. Oh, and that was after paying 35 bucks per night plus a three dollar fee. It's getting more and more set up for car campers and RV's. Hammockers SHOULD be more worried. Slippery slopes start start off gently at first.
    1. Nothing desperate about my optimism.

2. State Natural Areas: To view by county: https://dnr.wisconsin.gov/topic/Land...as/county.html or the entire program: https://dnr.wi.gov/topic/Lands/naturalareas/index.asp

3. If you are the type of camper who would come to our beautiful state and camp in restricted areas meant to protest our rare plants and animlas, then please don't visit.

4. For me, I will choose to work with our DNR. They have some great plans in the works regarding hammocking camping (like posts 15ft ft apart in campsites just for hammocks).

5. Sorry to hear you haven't had great experiences near you.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl & XLC
    Tarp
    Big MJ & Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti & 2 Wookies
    Suspension
    Stock straps
    Images
    Thank you Karla with a K for being a well informed hammocking ambassador, representing our issues to the Wisconsin DNR and political parties. I appreciate your efforts on behalf of the hammocking community.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed View Post
    Thank you Karla with a K for being a well informed hammocking ambassador, representing our issues to the Wisconsin DNR and political parties. I appreciate your efforts on behalf of the hammocking community.
    Awwwwhhhh, you are making me blush, Tumble!!!! Thank you!!! I love giving back to a community which has given me so much!!!

Hammock
    Dream, Sparrow and Raven
    Tarp
    HG Cuban, SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG quilts
    Suspension
    UCR, always change
    Images
    Hammocks and Slacklines must not be more that 3 feet off the ground. They are meaning the bottom of the hammock? With no one in it? I usually try and get my hang so when I'm sitting in it my feet are on the ground. But that means the bottom of the non weighted hammock might be higher, depending on the tree diameters (they say 12 inch trees) and also the distance.
    So I'm thinking they want to incorporate people not hanging say 4 feet up. And they mean the hammock and not the lines.
    Call me Junior

Pirating – Corporate Takeover without the paperwork
    "For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away" Bryan Adams....
    "Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes." - sargevining on HF

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Three feet off the ground eeehay
    This rule-law-regulation would criminalize TreeFool one of our most fun hangers.
    TreeFool (spelling) was known to hammock camp high in trees 30 (?) feet.

College students who enjoy high rise hammock hotels will be deprived of higher education.
    Stunts like these, give students valuable life lessons in cooperation, physics, including the law of gravity

Next new rule could be: Hammock hangers must enroll in a hammock hanging course, certified by the state, pass an exam and be licensed by the state every five years.

I respect each state’s laws. Given the laziness and pack mentality of state legislators, how long will it be, before other states legislatures copy and paste these new well meaning rules-laws-regulations?

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by rhjanes View Post
    Hammocks and Slacklines must not be more that 3 feet off the ground. They are meaning the bottom of the hammock? With no one in it? I usually try and get my hang so when I'm sitting in it my feet are on the ground. But that means the bottom of the non weighted hammock might be higher, depending on the tree diameters (they say 12 inch trees) and also the distance.
    So I'm thinking they want to incorporate people not hanging say 4 feet up. And they mean the hammock and not the lines.
    When I spoke with DNR, this rule in particular (they thought) applied to slacklining. As they don't want people falling from great heights. Wouldn't it be funny to see a ranger out with a tape measure to ensure the bottom of an empty hammock was within the guidelines??

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast