Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sorry, having a hard time visualizing, is is just like a one loop prusic knot? Would that work better resting above the eyelet? I don’t have any stand off areas on this pole

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch

One tree hang help - anchors

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    In the second photo, the orange line (a Myers "Fast Shackle") is what I call a self-cinching soft shackle setup.
    LowTech, what’s the difference between you using a line to attach two anchoring lines vs. attaching those lines directly to the pole?

Also curious if anyone can recommend using a thick branch instead of a boom stake to lessen pack load?

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivenin View Post
    Sorry, having a hard time visualizing, is is just like a one loop prusic knot? Would that work better resting above the eyelet? I don’t have any stand off areas on this pole
    It can be like that, what I would call a Lark's head, and that can be made from a basic Continuous Loop (CL), or any load bearing cord/rope if it's knotted appropriately and avoids rubbing on the threads which could cut into it.
    If that is done above where you have the eyebolt then you won't have to be concerned about the hammock suspension sliding down.
    The ground lines can be attached to the eyebolt as they have way less load on them (if the pole is angled sufficiently).

This is the soft shackle that I use mostly for attaching my UCR ground lines since I just loop to the knot.
    Before that, and my lady still does, I used some cam-lock straps that were on my "already have" list and attached the straps by pulling a loop of the webbing through the hole in the hook end.
    What these have in common is what I call "self cinching", they get tighter w/ weight applied.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by alt.thomas View Post
    LowTech, what’s the difference between you using a line to attach two anchoring lines vs. attaching those lines directly to the pole?

Also curious if anyone can recommend using a thick branch instead of a boom stake to lessen pack load?
    Basically, how ridged the pole stands.
    W/ two lines to the pole the top of the pole is much more stationary.
    W/ even a short offset, like I get w/ that shackle, the top end of the pole will move a bit side to side.
    The reason I've been using it is for efficiency. After trying several methods of attaching the slippery dyneema around a metal pole, and having limited success, I tried this, while thinking I wouldn't like the loss of stability since I'd already experience that previously, and found that because it's short I hardly notice it unless I'm looking up at the stars or branches above me while swinging back and forth. It does flex my tarp a little as well if I have that out, but not enough to concern me.
    It also has the ability to stay in place when I'm pulling the pole upright, which some other attempts did not want to.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Perfect, thank you!

Hammock
    Dutch Halfzip
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Katabatic, EE, HG
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Staying on the topic of anchors; has anyone had a failure of an anchor due to rain? One of the reason's I started using hammocks when backpacking was the increased protection from ground flowing water during a thunderstorm.

Most of my usage in thunderstorm weather would be in the Sierras, and I'd be using the shorter of the two titanium anchors that Tensa sells.

Guess if there was a threat of rain I could just limit my pitch to trees, and save the one tree hangs for better weather.

You may want to look at these. https://millennium-outdoors.com/prod...v=7516fd43adaa
    Haven't used em personally but i have a similar home made set that work very well.

RSN

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    They will probably work but they are designed for an upward pull. For example, if you have a ham radio mast on a tripod, you'd center that anchor in the middle of the tripod. the angle of the spikes is such that an upward pull sets them in more. So they keep the tripod - which has its own legs - from lifting/tipping.

I do see the second photo which shows sort of a horizontal pull; but the third photo, anchoring the satellite dish, is more their design target.

I suppose it would still work, though not as well, if you were pulling more sideways on the anchor. But in that case, you are not benefitting as much from the mechanics of a "lift" driving all three stakes down.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geokite View Post
    Staying on the topic of anchors; has anyone had a failure of an anchor due to rain? One of the reason's I started using hammocks when backpacking was the increased protection from ground flowing water during a thunderstorm.

Most of my usage in thunderstorm weather would be in the Sierras, and I'd be using the shorter of the two titanium anchors that Tensa sells.

Guess if there was a threat of rain I could just limit my pitch to trees, and save the one tree hangs for better weather.
    Yes-
    Soil conditions vary tremendously once wetted out. Simple tarp guyline stakes can loose their grip. I once pounded a 1/2” thick rebar into the ground. It was 24” long. Hung on it for days. On one (and last attempts) the stake pulled out, launching the rebar inches from my head. Probably traveled 25 feet thru the air. Just thankful it was a near miss! Lesson learned. It could have been fatal. Never trusted it.

You can never predict soil conditions. Sandy, hardback, gravel or rocky, with a portable stand. I can anchor to a small tree at the base or even a cluster of shubbery nearby to support the pole. But your thoughts hold true. Soil conditions and their varying conditions and anchoring are the caveat of the idea. Soil changes when wet, hence loosing its grip. And unless you pre-scout an area, you’ll never know what actually is happening deep in the ground.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Here's something I just started testing. A multi-staking method that is "hopefully" a method that will help w/ equalizing the pull on the stakes.
    I've done ones before that were two stakes, one at each end of a dogbone that was threaded through the end loop of my UCR, but wanted to come up w/ something that worked for three.
    The picture is hard to see w/o blowing it up but it's all I have at the moment.
    It's a single 6' dogbone that I have looped through a soft shackle (because I felt that the guyline cordage wouldn't let it slide easily) w/ a stake at each end and one in the middle.

I have it on my shade cloth in a camp that has serious winds, 20mph+, so perfect for testing.
    That corner of the shade kept pulling out the spikes that I've been using. After triple staking that corner I left it up for two days of strong winds w/o it pulling out. So far so good.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast