Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

HG Premium Incubator lost loft and migrated

Hello guys,

I am a Hammock camping newb, have been out for couple of weeks.

Last month had high temp variations between day and night and at around 4 to 6 AM the dew point made my 40 degree down UQ wet to the touch, I used it like that for a couple of days.

Now while I am at home, it has lost its puffiness and it looks like the down is crumbled in the middle and its moving up and down leaving either the head or feet exposed and the outside material just becomes floppy and empty inside.

How do I solve this problem?

thank you

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    It might be worth a try to wash your quilt to help rejuvenate the loft. Nikwax make a gentle wash solution specifically for washing down. Front load washing machine only & tumble dry on very low heat. When drying my quilts, I throw in 3 tennis balls to help with drying & to restoring loft.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    The only thing I would add is to put your quilts into the dryer after every hike at zero heat for 20 minutes with 5-6 balls in the dryer. I personally use the wool-based dryer balls rather than tennis balls, but that's just based on my experience.
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    Onewind 11’ w/ridgeline
    Tarp
    Onewind 12’ Silnyl
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles & St
    It’s worth mentioning that Hammock Gear has a pretty extensive set of Maintenance and Care instructions on their website for just such a situation:

https://hammockgear.com/quilt-care-instructions/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    +1 on the dryer balls and the dryer on lowest possible setting

Down can take quite a LONG time to dry once it gets wet. Higher heat will NOT help things dry out faster and may actually damage your quilt. You may find some success in using a repeated cycle:
    1) in the dryer with the dryer/tennis balls for 20-30 minutes
    2) shake out and migrate the down as best you can
    3) hang the quilt in a dry location for 8-10 hours
    4) repeat

It might take several iterations, particularly if any wet down got clumped. Dry down is much easier to migrate. Down that's even a little wet can be frustrating stubborn when you want to move it. The drier it becomes, the easier it will be to shake it back to where you want it to be.

If the UQ is otherwise clean and has been treated gently, then I'd avoid washing it just yet. Try the dryer technique first. You don't want to make the decision to wash your quilt lightly. Once you wash a down quilt, you may end up going through the cycle above a LOT of times to get your quilt fully dry again.

As long as you're careful with them and they don't get dirty from being dropped in the mud or something, you should never need to wash your down underquilts. Personally, I have never needed to wash any of my own. Top quilts, on the other hand, may need occasional washings because they a can collect perspiration, skin oils, etc., but even then, only every few years if you're careful. (There are other threads discussing how to care for down quilts and extend the time between washings.)
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

It didnt get dirty and wasnt used for more than three-four days so Im not cleaning it yet.

I want to put it in the front-loading dryer but I am afriad its going to catch somewhere and rip. Should i put it in its cotton sack and put it in the dryer?

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I put mine in front loading dryers all the time. Just put the heat on low or air. It'll be fine.
    Also get into the habit of migrating your down. It is a dirty little hidden secret.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Elionoxa View Post
    It didnt get dirty and wasnt used for more than three-four days so Im not cleaning it yet.
    I want to put it in the front-loading dryer but I am afriad its going to catch somewhere and rip. Should i put it in its cotton sack and put it in the dryer?
    It won't hurt the quilt in any way to use a bag, but you may find that it's not as effective. The quilt needs to move around and get beat to death by the balls to break up the down clumps and help rejuvenate the loft. If the quilt is in a bag, you'll be limiting the surface area the balls can reach.
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Yes that is true. what do I do with the UQ suspension though?

This is exactly the tumble dryer I have https://www.vieffetrade.eu/sale/drye...0-81-eu/507848

Thanks Shug. What about the UQ suspension, can Those tiny little shock cords catch and rip in the dryer?

about migration, do it on flat surface or in hanged position once i am out in the field.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast