Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandiit/Zeppli
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spider

Howdy (from Texas)

Hi!

I am a new(ish) hammocker from Southeast Texas (Houston area). As my kids have gotten older, I've re-discovered my love of hiking, camping, and kayaking. Moved to a hammock about three years ago. And only go back to the ground when there is absolutely no other choice. I've also gone pretty far down the rabbit hole in the last few years with backpacking and/or kayak camping as well, and despite my hammock setup being heavier than my tent, if there are trees, I'll take the hammock every.single.time. Just so much more comfortable!

At this point in my journey, I am fine tuning my gear and looking for like minded adventurers. I don't know another soul who hammocks, so would love to connect with other hammockers to talk gear and experiences, and maybe even find folks in the area who might be up for weekend adventures.
    Last edited by Beemer; 05-08-2023 at 19:43.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Welcome from East Texas! I'm up in Henderson.
    My kids and I also got into hammock camping a few years ago - my youngest wants to bring a tent most times now and my 15yo isn't as interested as he used to be
    I've camped a few places here in Texas - Tyler Lake, Martin Creek, and Dinosaur Valley a few times. I know there is a hammock meet up once a year at Fairfield Lake for the Texas group.... You'd need to look them up on Facebook since I think they plan the event there and do not really post it here in the forums anymore. I'm not on FB or I'd send a link, but it should not be too hard to find.
    I think the kids and I want to try kayak camping next. I've heard there is some neat places over in Hill country.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandiit/Zeppli
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    Welcome from East Texas! I'm up in Henderson.
    My kids and I also got into hammock camping a few years ago - my youngest wants to bring a tent most times now and my 15yo isn't as interested as he used to be
    I've camped a few places here in Texas - Tyler Lake, Martin Creek, and Dinosaur Valley a few times. I know there is a hammock meet up once a year at Fairfield Lake for the Texas group.... You'd need to look them up on Facebook since I think they plan the event there and do not really post it here in the forums anymore. I'm not on FB or I'd send a link, but it should not be too hard to find.
    I think the kids and I want to try kayak camping next. I've heard there is some neat places over in Hill country.
    Thanks for the welcome. My 15 year old twins have 0 interest in hiking, biking, kayaking, or backpacking with me. And since that's what generally drives me to camp they'd prefer to send me out on solo adventures while they stay home and enjoy 21st century amenities like air conditioning, and gaming systems.

I don't think I've been to Martin Creek - I'll have to look that up.

I don't do Facebook either, but I did find the Texas Hammock Hangers group through a hiking friend. Missed their recent Spring hang, but am hoping to make the Fall Hang this year (if it doesn't conflict with my thru hike of the OT). Though as Fairfield Lake is now private it'll be interesting to see where it ends up.

Love to kayak camp. That's actually where I was the weekend of the spring hang - kayak camping up in your neck of the woods at Caddo Lake (Hell's Half Acre area). It was my first time camping out there. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Also highly recommend the Angelina near Martin Dies which is probably a bit closer to you than the hill country. If you've never been there it's a great place as well.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    11' WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    Beckett and EVOs
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. My 15 year old twins have 0 interest in hiking, biking, kayaking, or backpacking with me. And since that's what generally drives me to camp they'd prefer to send me out on solo adventures while they stay home and enjoy 21st century amenities like air conditioning, and gaming systems.

I don't think I've been to Martin Creek - I'll have to look that up.

I don't do Facebook either, but I did find the Texas Hammock Hangers group through a hiking friend. Missed their recent Spring hang, but am hoping to make the Fall Hang this year (if it doesn't conflict with my thru hike of the OT). Though as Fairfield Lake is now private it'll be interesting to see where it ends up.

Love to kayak camp. That's actually where I was the weekend of the spring hang - kayak camping up in your neck of the woods at Caddo Lake (Hell's Half Acre area). It was my first time camping out there. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Also highly recommend the Angelina near Martin Dies which is probably a bit closer to you than the hill country. If you've never been there it's a great place as well.
    I've missed the Texas Hanger's event a couple of times now, so we're in the same kayak
    Thanks for those recommendations - I'll have to check them out! I'm trying to talk my 10yo into another trip before it gets too hot so we may check one of those out.
    Martin Creek is okay - a bit noisy, with the power plant across the lake, which can be good or bad depending on if you like white noise to help you sleep. That was actually the first place I camped in Texas.... It's a funny story now, but at the time I did not enjoy it as much as some other trips. It was the middle of August and I was in my hammock. I was in the regular tent/RV spots using my turtledog stands since I'd never been there and could not tell from the pictures if there were adequate trees to hang from. I think it only cooled off to 82 that night. It was still better than being at work though!
    I'm kinda jealous of a through hike. I've hiked and camped on parts of the Mountains to Sea trail when we lived in North Carolina, but 12 miles is the furthest I've hiked and camped in a long time.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG, Zpacks, DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre, HG
    Suspension
    MyersTech
    Images
    I'm up in N. TX & while it's not just around the corner from you, there is some great backpacking up in Arkansas... Eagle Rock Loop & the Ozark Highland Trail are two good ones. Search the Trip Report forum for trips reports to give you an idea, if interested.

BTW... great kayaking in AR too. My son & I did a New Year's section hike on the OHT & were 'rescued' by some local kayakers, after getting stranded in the Hurricane Creek Wilderness Area after 11 hours of big time rain. Hurricane Creek had risen so high, it would've been at least a 2 day wait before we could get across the last crossing. It was quite an adventure & one of these days, I'll do a trip report.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandiit/Zeppli
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by ObdewlaX View Post
    I'm up in N. TX & while it's not just around the corner from you, there is some great backpacking up in Arkansas... Eagle Rock Loop & the Ozark Highland Trail are two good ones. Search the Trip Report forum for trips reports to give you an idea, if interested.

BTW... great kayaking in AR too. My son & I did a New Year's section hike on the OHT & were 'rescued' by some local kayakers, after getting stranded in the Hurricane Creek Wilderness Area after 11 hours of big time rain. Hurricane Creek had risen so high, it would've been at least a 2 day wait before we could get across the last crossing. It was quite an adventure & one of these days, I'll do a trip report.
    Glad to see more folks from Texas.

My family is actually from SW Arkansas. I spent summers up at Lake Greeson in the late 80's and early 90s - about 15 miles from the Albert Pike side of the Eagle Rock Loop. Can't believe I've never hiked it. Had planned a trip there in April of this year but had to bail due to severe storms which pushed the Little Missouri up to 8ft so wouldn't have been able to do the Winding Stairs area. We are planning a second run at it here in a couple of weeks. But the weather isn't looking good. Lots of rain in the forecast. I'm also worried it's going to be a bit toasty.

I looked at Ozark Highlands briefly once before. The area looks awesome, but I wasn't super excited about the disconnected sections/road walks. Though I may look at the Boston Mountains section for 2024 depending on how I do in the permit lottery elsewhere, or if I can't talk folks into doing part of of the Colorado Trail instead. Thanks for the tip on the trip reports. I'll go see if I can find them.

Any places you'd recommend to kayak in Arkansas? I've only done the lakes on the SW side (Millwood, Greeson, Ouachita, and DeGrey). We also did a short segment on the Little Missouri back in college, though I couldn't tell you where exactly. All I remember is it was pretty, tree'd, full of water moccassins, and shallow (had to portage twice over rocky shallows).

Glad to hear all ended well at Hurricane Creek! We've run into flash flooding while out backpacking once - in Aravipa Canyon, and it's an experience I have NO desire to repeat. Not a drop of rain where we were, but a huge slug of water flooded the canyon our final night. Getting water (clogged filters big time) and getting out was a little scary.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandiit/Zeppli
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by jakev383 View Post
    I've missed the Texas Hanger's event a couple of times now, so we're in the same kayak
    Thanks for those recommendations - I'll have to check them out! I'm trying to talk my 10yo into another trip before it gets too hot so we may check one of those out.
    Martin Creek is okay - a bit noisy, with the power plant across the lake, which can be good or bad depending on if you like white noise to help you sleep. That was actually the first place I camped in Texas.... It's a funny story now, but at the time I did not enjoy it as much as some other trips. It was the middle of August and I was in my hammock. I was in the regular tent/RV spots using my turtledog stands since I'd never been there and could not tell from the pictures if there were adequate trees to hang from. I think it only cooled off to 82 that night. It was still better than being at work though!
    I'm kinda jealous of a through hike. I've hiked and camped on parts of the Mountains to Sea trail when we lived in North Carolina, but 12 miles is the furthest I've hiked and camped in a long time.
    I'm pretty sure the Summer ship has already sailed. We were at Goliad this past weekend for their Spring Floatilla. Forecast was for highs in the 90 and lows in the 70's. Hot and muggy with a healthy side of bugs. We got super lucky with cloud cover Saturday. But luck ran out Sunday. Poured all morning. Had to pack everything up wet and in the pouring rain. Like your Martin Creek trip it was still a great trip. It was my first time to try the Floatilla, and we loved it. Awesome experience. Huge kudos to the Canoe Goliad, SA River Authority, and TPWD folks for putting on an amazing (free!) event.

I am really looking forward to my thru hike. It'll be my first long distance solo if I can't talk someone into doing it with me. Definitely need to do some elevation work before hand. I generally hike about 20 miles most Saturdays with a local hiking group, if I don't have something else planned. So not worried about the distance, but I hear the western end of the trail in Oklahoma has some elevation which I get 0 of out here. And our attempt at two of the Colorado 14'ers last August kicked my rear end. I've also stopped running since then, so I'm in much worse shape than I was then. Going to have to get serious and start training if I am going to get it done in the 12 days or less I have planned.

• + New Posts