Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandiit/Zeppli
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spider

Mosquito Solutions when it's too hot for an underquilt

I have a single layer hammock (with a zip on bugnet), treated with permethrin, and almost always use an underquilt and that's generally worked great for mosquitos. But this past weekend in the swamp it was 90 degrees when we went to bed and overnight lows were a balmy 78. And the mosquitoes were thick as clouds once the sun went down and the breeze died down. Without the underquilt I was being eaten alive from the bottom of the hammock. With the underquilt on but vented, I was still a feast for the mosquitoes in addition to being slow roasted (crazy hot). It was just as easy for the mosquitoes to slip between the hammock and underquilt as it was for the breeze. Cinching the under quilt head and foot end drawstrings stopped the mosquito attack, and without the underquilt suspensions tightened up I had a about 6 inches of air between me and the underquilt, but none of much needed breeze to keep me cool.

Needless to say it was a miserable night....

So what's your strategy for mosquitos when it's too hot for an underquilt? Would a loose underquilt protector cinched at the head and foot ends work? A thin sheet layer under me in the hammock? A double layer hammock?

It's too hot in the tent, and I hate sleeping on the ground... HELP!!

ETA: Probably should mention - I am a backpacker, so weight matters.
    Last edited by Beemer; 05-08-2023 at 14:29.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Has anyone tried the WB Travel Net? Most of the bottom entry bugnets leave a large entry hole on bottom w which doesn’t seem great, but the WB net may not since it zips.

A UQP with permethrin was my first thought.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandiit/Zeppli
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spider
    I looked at something like the Grand Trunk before - I think it was the Pet Palace? - for backpacking with my dog. Weight was a concern. Might be okay for car camping, but can't justify 2lbs in the backcountry.

Hammock
    Multiple
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo
    I have used the underquilt protector by itself as a mosquito barrier when it’s too hot for UQ. It’s worked very well for me (and I sweat heavy in the summer time).

If not, some of the full sized nets that enclose the whole hammock and the space beneath it might be your thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandiit/Zeppli
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spider
    Quote Originally Posted by ChinoUSMC View Post
    I have used the underquilt protector by itself as a mosquito barrier when it’s too hot for UQ. It’s worked very well for me (and I sweat heavy in the summer time).
    Glad to hear a UQP might work! I do have an underquilt protector, just never used it. Wasn't sure about breathability? I think mine is made of Argon 90? Originally bought it for rain splatter, but that hasn't really been an issue for me. But if I recall one of the other features was supposed to be as a windblock for the UQ to help hold in heat? Obviously goal here is to not hold in heat, or hold in as little as possible. I am sure this would be less than the UQ and at a weight I can live with. Guess I will give that a try on my next trip. Thanks!

You might ask one of the vendors that make underquilt protectors to make one out of bug netting. You could use that instead of an underquilt.

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have used my UQP many times for bug control when it's 90 degrees and 90% humidity.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Going up higher elevation sorts this dilemma for me. Else, I’ll use a UQP and battery fan inside to keep cool.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I thought the FAA put the "ceiling" for Mosquitoes at about 6000 feet, but there are some high flyers out there. Before I started getting hammocks with built-in nets, I used the WB Traveler net - works fine. You'll probably want to put zipper pulls on both sides so there is no fumbling. Do check the length as the BlackBird itself is on the shorter side. There is an XL option.

I often use a HUG net for the top. It covers from my head to my lower torso and is held up by a shock cord to the hammock ridge line. The idea is, your lower body is already in the TQ (or some cover) so you just need your head protected.

A HUG + UQP is an alternative to a full Traveler. But the full traveler can give you roomier protection - especially if you can clip on to the netting (bulldog clips) and guy it out a bit.
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 05-09-2023 at 20:19.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast