Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    I thought the FAA put the "ceiling" for Mosquitoes at about 6000 feet; but there are some high flyers. Before I started getting hammocks with built-in nets, I used the WB Traveler net - works fine. You'll probably want to put zipper pulls on both sides so there is no fumbling. Do check the length as the BlackBird itself is on the shorter side. There is an XL option.

I often use a HUG net for the top. It covers from my head to my lower torso and is held up buy a bungee to the hammock ridge line. The idea is, your lower body is already in the TQ (or some cover) so you just need your head protected.

A HUG + UQP is an alternative to a full Traveler. But the full traveler can give you roomier protection - especially if you can clip on to the netting (bulldog clips) and guy it out a bit.
    I wish someone would tell the mosquitos in the Eastern Sierra about this because I always see them at around 10K feet

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    You might ask one of the vendors that make underquilt protectors to make one out of bug netting. You could use that instead of an underquilt.
    I like this idea! I've used an UQP during the desert summer while sleeping in a Mayan style hammock. It was during the monsoon and the mosquitos were out in force. The major downfall was that the UQP blocked out the breeze.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    UGQ Bandiit/Zeppli
    Suspension
    Dutchware Spider
    Thanks everyone for chiming in! Sounds like several folks have had luck with the UQP so I'll give that a try on my next trip as it's unfortunately well below that 6k limit. I think it's at a whopping 30ft above sea level. LOL. And I am pretty sure summer is here to stay so it's only going to get hotter from here on out.

Hammock
    DW/Haven Safari
    Tarp
    Multiple
    Insulation
    Multiple
    Suspension
    Dutch/Tensa/Yobo
    Quote Originally Posted by Beemer View Post
    Thanks everyone for chiming in! Sounds like several folks have had luck with the UQP so I'll give that a try on my next trip as it's unfortunately well below that 6k limit. I think it's at a whopping 30ft above sea level. LOL. And I am pretty sure summer is here to stay so it's only going to get hotter from here on out.
    Let me guess… Florida? The mosquitoes have been the size of birds (west Central FL).

If you do get a special UQP that’s all bug net, make sure it hangs lose under you. If it’s tight against your hammock, it will defeat the purpose of keep the bugs out from under you while you hang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement." --Chinese Fortune Cookie

Participated in the following events:
    HangCon 2018 - 2024, (to be continued...)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Superfly/Minifly
    Insulation
    WB DB, LL Habanero
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I've had good luck just spraying my hammock and tarp with premithrin and letting it dry. Doesnt get super greasy or anything and seems to do a pretty good job of deterring mosquitos.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    >I wish someone would tell the mosquitos in the Eastern Sierra about this because I always see them at around 10K feet

That's exactly what I thought, "... what are you guys doing up here; there is plenty of breakfast/lunch/dinner down by the lake." I threw out the 6K ft number as a hope/dream that there must be some limit. I didn't see any on Rainier or Shasta, but the "camp" elevation was twice 6K.

As far as the ones I "saw" on the way to South Sister Summit - I didn't check to see if they were wearing little oxygen masks; I just swatted.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    Blackbird (Single layer)
    Tarp
    Z-Packs CF w/ door
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie / Cinch
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieCash View Post
    I wish someone would tell the mosquitos in the Eastern Sierra about this because I always see them at around 10K feet
    lol, I figure if you are at higher elevation where it’s cooler, you’ll probably bring an UQ

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    At those elevations, there are often no trees. And a Tensa4 would be hard-pressed to qualify as "summit gear" - at least if I were the one having to carry it. However, if it were cliffy and had boulders about, you might be able to use some rock climbing gear to set up anchors (old-timey hexes and stoppers), using rock cracks instead of trees. I like it. I'm a little ancient for summits now, but were I younger/fitter, I'd have fun setting up a hammock in a boulder field, among a cluster of tent/bivi shelters. And, no mosquitoes - makes it worth the climb. "... Just look at that magnificent view! Yeah, and no mosquitoes!!"
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    At those elevations, there are often no trees. And a Tensa4 would be hard-pressed to qualify as "summit gear" - at least if I were the one having to carry it. However, if it were cliffy and had boulders about, you might be able to use some rock climbing gear to set up anchors (old-timey hexes and stoppers), using rock cracks instead of trees. I like it. I'm a little ancient for summits now, but were I younger/fitter, I'd have fun setting up a hammock in a boulder field, among a cluster of tent/bivi shelters. And, no mosquitoes - makes it worth the climb. "... Just look at that magnificent view! Yeah, and no mosquitoes!!"
    Tensa Trekking Treez would do the job though~~
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Yep, had a guy at the SoCal Hang that used a Trekking Tree to do a "One Tree" hang. Two would definitely make for "anywhere" hangability.

Double pole hangs!

"Sent w/o me knowing"

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast