Hammock
    DH Raven (5103)
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle

Cold sleeper looking for TQ purchase advice.

I'm a fairly cold sleeper. I currently use a Hammockgear Economy Incubator 10° UQ and have been using a self-made TQ made of a Costco down blanket with other blanks stuffed inside. But now i'm ready to make a purchase that will do a better job.

There are lots of choices out there and I'm looking for advise on what you like. I'm 5:10, 193 lbs.
    I prefer a sewn & closed footbox. I think I want a draft collar. Overstuff or not overstuff?
    I'm not overly concerned with cost. Knowing what you know now which would be your suggestion.

I appreciate your input.

-Adam
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Been through a lot of them... I landed on Katabatic gear. I prefer horizontal baffles, differential cut, back cinch, neck baffle... I couldn't find all of that from any other vendor.

And for all of the hecklers..... Down does not 'fall down the sides' when you are in a hammock. That is a fallacy dreamed up by someone.... or the quilt/bag is grossly underfilled.

Be careful with overstuff on a top quilt. It can result in the quilt becoming 'stiffer' and not draping as well over you, especially around your feet. This can cause dead air space that your feet may have a hard time heating up.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    adam.b, it would help to know the temperature range you are shooting for, the type of hammock (gathered end or bridge) you use, and the temps in which the 10° UQ works for you.

South Carolina is probably different than Bend - though this is High Desert Country. Other parts of the country have something called humidity. I've only read about it. So I have no experience in your area.

But discussions in the Forum suggest that with a bridge hammock, adding a warmer TQ provides more comfort than adding a warmer UQ. With a GE, beefing up your UQ would increase the comfort range more than increasing the TQ. It's all so subjective.

I have many TQ's and none of them have a draft Collar. They do have a snap and drawstring at the head end so the TQ can be cinched around the shoulders/chest. Works fine. When It's cold, I still might need a balaclava - especially one I can pull up over my nose if needed.

Some vendors say "over stuff" is "overrated" for additional warmth. You get insulation because of the loft. A bag cut for "X" temperature has a certain loft height/potential. If you add more down, it will not increase that loft - it may keep down from shifting, but being able to shift the down a bit can be a feature. I've been told it's better to go for the warmer quilt rather than any "stuff" over 2oz because the warmer quilt will be cut for more loft - a higher R factor.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    DH Raven (5103)
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex 70D
    Insulation
    HG Econ UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle
    I appreciate the input. My experience says go with Hammockgear TQ since I have the UQ and love it.
    As far as temps go around here 25F might be the usual lowest in the mountain areas. Last year it was got down to 17F plus strong winds all night, but that was kinda unusual.
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN XL GE
    Tarp
    DIY .9 Silpoly Hex
    Insulation
    Various Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps (J-Bend)
    Images
    There is tons of good information on the forum here. For example:
    Top Quilt Buyers Guide (this is a bit dated, but still valid and useful information)
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...T-BUYING-GUIDE

There's also some interesting stuff from other sources as well. For example:
    Top Quilt Comparisons (from Reddit) which includes a link to a graph that depicts insulation cost efficiencies of various top quilts
    https://www.reddit.com/r/hammockcamp...t_comparisons/

Every quilt vendor has their advocates and potential naysayers, but you really can't go wrong with any of the cottage vendors frequently discussed on this forum (see also the "Hammock Gear - Manufacturers and Services" section under the "Forum" tab). They all make high quality quilts and stand behind their products. Personally, I avoid the mass market vendors (e.g., Therm-a-Rest, ENO, anything sold on Amazon) because the poor quality-to-cost ratio doesn't sit well with me, but even those quilts may still keep you warm and check the box for your other priorities. Everyone's priorities are different.

The bottom line is, if it works for you and keeps you warm, then that's all that really matters. Use the heavy wool blanket your grandma knitted if it works for you! I've got many purpose-made quilts (down and synthetic), but sometime I still sleep with a thin fleece blanket instead of any of my quilts when car camping in the summertime just because I like it more.

HYOH
    ~ All I want is affordable, simple, ultralight luxury. That’s not asking too much is it?

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adam.b View Post
    I appreciate the input. My experience says go with Hammockgear TQ since I have the UQ and love it.
    As far as temps go around here 25F might be the usual lowest in the mountain areas. Last year it was got down to 17F plus strong winds all night, but that was kinda unusual.
    Not a bad decision, and you might find that the nominal rating of the new HG TQ will work for you vs the Costco and other added layers. It's usually better having the 'right tool for the job.'

Another thing to consider if you hike/camp year 'round is a quilt set for warmer weather. If you're into backpacking, in the summer you'll begin to think about why you're carrying around a lot of extra weight and bulk when you could be packing much smaller and lighter quilts.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    When I "got into it", the usual temperature divisions were 0°, 20°, and 40; probably still are. But in your area, for example, a 10° quilt might be enough. That gives you about a 10-degree cushion against the lowest expected temperature - which would work for me. Going for 10° instead of 0° saves you some bulk, weight, and cash. But none of that matters if it is not warm enough for you. I just know it would work for me in the range you mentioned.

In the summer I go cooler of course. But instead of having to choose between 20° and 40°, I've been playing with 30°. Note that I often use a full sock, or UPQ, and big tarps, for additional wind blockage. And my venues are near mountain tops and at sea level, subject to the wind blowing across miles of cold water.

Those numbers are not based on a vendor's comfort claim. They come from several nights a week sleeping outside, during all seasons, at the house. So I know what works for me but I'm not claiming they will work for you.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I’m a pretty cold sleeper and one thing I try to stay away from is sewn-through quilts. This is how the baffles are made. On sewn through the outer and inner layer of the quilt are directly sewn together. Sewn-through quilts are slightly lighter but more likely to have cold spots. IMO, it is dominantly cottage vendors that use box baffles. Larger vendors like Thermarest are generally sewn-through. This is also why I was recently ‘unable’ to buy an TQ from REI recently despite being recently given a bunch of REI gift cards and wanting to spend it on a TQ. All of their quilts were sewn-through and I won’t personally spend $350 on a sewn-through quilt when I could pay $400 for one with box baffles. Others find the weight tradeoff more desirable.

I also am of the belief that one should buy a quilt from a successful business that specializes in quilts. Not a large business that has expanded part of their business in to quilts. But again, that may just be me. It is very possible for a large business to have people who love and care deeply about the products they make in their particular portion of the company.

add - I personally like to have my quilts be 10 degrees lower than what I expect to be in to give me some margin. But you can always sleep in your puffy. And might want to anyway if it is really cold out.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Coutrybois is correct- if you want the cadaliac of top quilts Katabatic is up there- https://katabaticgear.com/collection...41599273959469
    It looks like they brought prices back down to earth as well... hmm

That said I think it's a bit overkill for hammock use and I like the Enigma for general use-https://enlightenedequipment.com/enigma-custom
    They offered a 'hammock model' I don't see the option for now. It skipped the pad straps and offered two small tabs at the footbox so you could attach a sit pad for your heels (nice bonus with a 3/4 length UQ).

As Cougar points out... the general temp scheme is 0/20/40 for northerners and colder sleepers. Southerners or hot sleepers tend to run 10/30/50 setups.

As I pointed out in another thread though... often with all the quality vendors doing quality work I tend to check the 'seconds' or overstock section first and go with those unless I really want something fancy.

850 fill is plenty and I also prefer the sewn footbox, especially in hammocks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Bonded
    Insulation
    Enlightened / HG
    Suspension
    HG Daisy Chain
    Images
    Cold sleeper also. I tend to start using my Enlightened Equipment 10 degrees TQ alot sooner than most. For me it's not the TQ that really makes me feel warm all night but my UQ and layering. When we get to the cold temps here in PA I switch to my Loco Libre zero degree Ridge Reaper and layer up my clothes to keep me warm. Doing this has allowed me to even run a 20 degree TQ when it gets really cold.
    Some days I can't tell whether I found a rope or lost a horse...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast