Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Well, don't that beat all. I thought I'd seen everything, And I've been to a country fair, a rodeo, and a picnic. Thank you for sharing something it would have taken me three lifetimes to figure out - should that solution be needed.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    The best anchors out there are GroundGrabba anchors. by far. We have the one foot and two foot long versions and have used them in every terrain imaginable!
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

DIY airline-portable hammock stand

Thanks all for the help on this a while back. I ended up getting a Tensa solo pole with boom stakes, which is working great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    RSBTR Winter Hex12
    Insulation
    DIY Wookie style
    Suspension
    Tensa4, Trekking
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    I'm not sure I totally agree w/ that. I think that the dogbone run through a loop at the end of the line equalizes the pull because it can slide as needed to balance it out. Of course I could be wrong since I'm not a physics major.

Here are a couple multi-stake methods I use,
    The first one can be three stakes, or just two if you leave the middle one out.
    The second one is a tried and true method used by big tent riggers and vehicle winching.

"Sent w/o me knowing"
    Late to the party. The second method (2 stakes in a front/rear configuration) has never worked for me. The first stake usually pulls up and the second (farthest) stake takes all the load. Your first method is 'almost' a self-equalizing anchor system. The 2 outermost anchors are self-equalizing, but the middle stake isn't. For a 'true' self-equalizing systems https://www.southeastclimbing.com/mo...g-anchors.html

Using the self-equalizing method is pretty simple ONCE you have figured it out. For 2 anchors a simple dogbone is required. For 3 anchors a large loop is required. Both are better with a carabiner, since it slides better than a rope loop.
    Come check out the Tensa4 tensahedron stand and other hammock stands at http://www.TensaOutdoor.com and [email protected]

Hammock
    one wind 11' wide
    Tarp
    one wind 12'
    Insulation
    SLD, UGQ, LL, JRB
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Late to the party. The second method (2 stakes in a front/rear configuration) has never worked for me. The first stake usually pulls up and the second (farthest) stake takes all the load. Your first method is 'almost' a self-equalizing anchor system. The 2 outermost anchors are self-equalizing, but the middle stake isn't. For a 'true' self-equalizing systems https://www.southeastclimbing.com/mo...g-anchors.html

Using the self-equalizing method is pretty simple ONCE you have figured it out. For 2 anchors a simple dogbone is required. For 3 anchors a large loop is required. Both are better with a carabiner, since it slides better than a rope loop.
    Here's the version I ended up w/. I'm using dyneema and a dyneema soft shackle on the middle stake. The dogbone runs in an "M" type of configuration.

Just checked out the link and it looks like the same concept only I'm using the loops on the dogbone so I don't need to bring the ends back together.
    "Sent w/o me knowing"
    Last edited by LowTech; 07-15-2023 at 10:18.

Quote Originally Posted by LowTech View Post
    Here's the version I ended up w/. I'm using dyneema and a dyneema soft shackle on the middle stake. The dogbone runs in an "M" type of configuration.

Just checked out the link and it looks like the same concept only I'm using the loops on the dogbone so I don't need to bring the ends back together.
    "Sent w/o me knowing"
    umm, i'm afraid that looks like a 2to1 pulley system against the middle stake, if i'm reading the pic correctly. if that's so, it's "probably not what you want"(tm)

Quote Originally Posted by raftingtigger View Post
    Late to the party. The second method (2 stakes in a front/rear configuration) has never worked for me. The first stake usually pulls up and the second (farthest) stake takes all the load.
    (...)
    hmm. (this thread is really interesting btw, i didn't know about the boom stake, oughtta be a stickie). anyway.

i can imagine this happening, with that method, if you lay it out like in the picture, but use the near stake only as a redirect (so guyline running freely to the far stake). i think the way to make this work is to have the guyline on the near stake, and then a separate line from near to far stake, ideally with a tensioning system on it, so you can put significant load between the stakes, regardless of guyline load. if i were to use this system, i would probably go one step further and drive the two stakes in a v, and loop the guyline between them so that it pulls them together harder than it is pulling them out, that should be quite bomber, as typically stakes are much stronger than their holding power and typical guyline tension. now i have to try it

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12