Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    Others touched on points I'm about to make but roughly what I'm hearing is:

Been a few years; fabric does wear in use as well as in storage and lose it's 'rebound' or ability to bounce back after loading.
    Simplest explanation is that the fabric has broken in and opened up a bit. IE- it's a bit softer/saggier/squishier as the time passes.

Bit like that sweater or pair of jeans that fits you better the second day you wear it.
    On that note- maybe a warm water hand wash will help bring a little life back to the hammock in the same way.

You changed/gained weight; same issue and/or compounded the above issue.

Solution to both- extend the ridgeline.
    As mentioned, the ridgeline sets the sag but if the fabric itself is a hair longer/looser due to wear and you're a bit heavier... you need a longer ridgeline to reproduce the original sag. The rest of the stuff is fairly static, but that 11' hunk of fabric isn't.

If you have a fixed ridgeline- either splice up an adjustable ridgeline or add a small loop or carabiner to get a little more length.

Lengthen=Lift... Shorten=Soften (easy way I remember it)

So- longer ridgeline= less sag without getting too bogged down in the details.
    The 83% guideline is just that; a good place to start.

As noted- double check the rest from tree to hammock for slips, twists, or problems but sounds like you've got quality components there.
    Short of seeking out a shorter tree to tree distance or bringing a ladder- probably no real help there.

If you're looking at replacing the ridgeline- consider a structural adjustable ridgeline (7/64" amsteel).
    This will not only give you some control in the field (or to combat that first night sag Phantom Grappler mentions with a second night adjustment) but also allow you to crank the overall system a bit tighter so you're not overly eyeballing the tension of the ridgeline itself, which is another variable you can reduce. IE you can set the ridgeline not quite string tight vs some version of looser than that you might have a hard time repeating during sporatic use.

Just watch out for going overboard with an integrated bug net.
    Often a vendor will limit your range of motion so you don't accidentally blow out your net.
    So if you see things getting alarmingly tight then before you ruin it you may consider selling it while it's still useful to someone else
    Ultimately it may simply be time for an upgrade that better fits your current weight and needs.

If all else fails- get a bridge

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Replace the indicator ridgeline with a structural ridgeline of 7/64" Amsteel, but pay attention to Just Bill's caution about lengthening it too much. If you don't want to replace the ridgeline, add a supplementary ridgeline above the hammock, connected to the suspension lines to the trees. Experiment with the supplementary ridgeline length without risking damage to the bugnet. You could get similar results by hanging between trees that are closer together.

Hammock
    Double Dutch
    Tarp
    OneTigris hot tent
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubato
    Suspension
    beetle buckles
    Images
    On one of my first hangs I had to re-adjust several times during the night and at morning I realized that one of my trees as uprooting. Just me....

Some suspension material stretches much more than others. Amsteel whoopies barely stretch at all, but those hybrid straps from dutch (and superior gear) I find to stretch quite a bit. I have to hang mine higher than pure poly, and definitely more than my whoopie set up.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7SL
    Tarp
    WB Edge/wasps
    Insulation
    All Hammockgear
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Some suspension material stretches much more than others. Amsteel whoopies barely stretch at all, but those hybrid straps from dutch (and superior gear) I find to stretch quite a bit. I have to hang mine higher than pure poly, and definitely more than my whoopie set up.
    I wonder if this is the reason. Everything else seems to be normal. I'm not sure where I put my whoopies and poly straps. I am going for a hang this weekend and will measure the tree distance and take some pics.

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by District Outdoors View Post
    I wonder if this is the reason. Everything else seems to be normal. I'm not sure where I put my whoopies and poly straps. I am going for a hang this weekend and will measure the tree distance and take some pics.
    Yes. I found that the hybrid straps stretch significantly. I personally went back to poly straps. Warbonnet's to be exact.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Hammock
    SLD 1.2 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Quilts
    Suspension
    Beckett Hitch
    Images
    After researching this, I think this may be the case for me as Countrybois pointed out with the hybrid straps. I got a pair of Myerstech hybrid straps and unless I pull the straps really tight, but not too tight that my ridge line is guitar string tight, I end up sinking down about half the height after sitting down.

I love the straps but really thinking I might have to change them out for something different.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12