Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images

Identifying a a Superior Gear multi quilt

I recently purchased some used hammock gear. Two of the things were a hammock and matching quilt from Superior Gear. The guy listed the hammock as an 11’, 15degree elite and the quilt was matching though listed separately. It was clear he was a little uncertain on some of the specifics. He appears to have cut off the tags except those identifying the brand on the SG stuff (I also picked up a HG UQ which has more identifying information). So there is no model information I can find.

I measured and weighed everything after I got home. The hammock seems to match the description. 11’. Weight is 33oz which is one oz lower than the SG website lists. Though it is zipperless with a bottom entry bugnet so that seems to check as the ones listed on the website have a zippered bugnet (weight is sans bugnet)

The quilt dimensions work but the weight is 32.8 oz. If it were a 15degree standard it should be 29oz. If it were an elite is should be 26oz. Though if it were a 0degree standard it should weigh 33oz (30oz for elite).

Is there any way to tell what it is? This was an opportunistic buy but is likely to end up the foundation of a snow setup.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch and HG
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG quilts
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I would call superior gear and ask them those questions

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Though the seller cut off the tags, perhaps there is an email invoice/acknowledgment of the original purchase from Superior that could be forwarded to you.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    12' Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Kammok Kuhli
    Insulation
    Superior / UGQ
    Do superior gear items have tags? I have a few different items from them (including a multi-quilt) and I’ll have to check the quilt (I don’t recall it even having a Superior Gear logo on it anywhere), but the hammocks themselves have nothing on them to indicate what their temperature ratings are— just the Superior Gear logo. Maybe that’s changed in recent months but I do wish there were tags on mine to indicate temperature since I have more than one.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I contacted SG and Danny replied that they can tell standard vs. elite by fabric color. So I sent him some pics. We will see what they say.

I also tried to measure the internal baffles, but did a poor enough job I have limited confidence in my measurement. I got ~3" (with the loft being higher than the baffle). Looking at the various threads here on the topic, 15° = 2.75 and 0° = 3.5. Well within my measurement error. I will try again to get a better measurement.

SG did suggest sending them the sellers email. I could text the seller and ask for his email, but feel kind of odd asking. The whole interaction was a little odd and I almost walked away at one point. It was listed on Craigslist. I sometimes do a search in 'sporting' for 'hammock' just to see what pops up. Usually it is at best a few ENOs or HHs. Though a bunch of stuff popped up from Hammock Gear and Superior Gear. I did not look closely at the location and it had searched 'nearby'. After him replying that he still had the stuff I realized where it was (Powell Butte, which is near Bend, OR, so about 3hrs for me). I was not sure about driving that far for only one thing I really 'needed'. Which was the HG econ 20° UQ he had listed for $150. Which is a good deal, but not ridiculous. I knew I was going to be about half way to Powell Butte for the week in about a week, though I would not have cell service where I was at. So I initially left it a I would contact him on Friday in over a week when I had service and if he still had it, then we would worry about if I wanted to drive the extra hour. I had decided I did not want the Superior Gear hammock, which was a much better deal (also $150) though that would make for my sixth hammock. I then noticed the multi quilt that he had listed a day or two before. And I decided I really wanted that (also $150). So I texted him if he would take payment via paypal and drop it in a flatrate box. And a bunch of other details on my timing and where I would be as sometimes I over share. CL is funny for me. I always start off super cautious, but if the person seem legit, I warm up fast. Anyway, I got no reply from three messages. Which raised flags for me that perhaps he did not want the money to be traceable (i.e. perhaps the gear was stolen).

The Friday came (>1 week later) and he texted me if I still was interested. And I wanted to see the snow level at the pass to gauge when I wanted to attempt my first trip up there. So I drove to Redmond to meet him and get a better read. Turns out, he was about my age, had his kid in his car (clean, newish Dodge Durango) and looked like a software type (guessing he works at the Facebook data center in Prineville). He had thrown in the towel on hammocks as he could not get comfortable. And being weak. And the SG hammock being an awfully good deal. I bought most of his stuff. But the whole conversation was odd. Though CL frequently is a little odd. So I guess I could email him and ask if he would send me his email so I could send it to SG. But I bet he will not reply.

FWIW, if anyone is interested and lives near Bend, he still has a XLC ($100) and a HG 30° TQ ($150) listed last time I looked. Though he is not interested in dealing with shipping (I asked again in person). And I am still surprised no one else grabbed the gear in the time between when I saw it and finally bought it. Though it is super specialized equipment and cottage brands so perhaps no one who was close enough noticed. I did suggest he list it someplace like here or Backpacking Light as the right buyer would be more likely to notice.

As for the tags, I am not positive they were ever there. On the hammock, there is one strip of white and black fabric that is sewn in to the seam that looks to have had been cut. It might have always been that short. There is no clear tag location on the quilt.

It is not really a big deal. Just would be nice to know. And the whole thing was a funny conversation as I was standing there in a Petco parking lot trying to understand why he had issues getting comfortable in his hammock. While having just driven over an hour to buy the gear I was sort of trying to talk him out of selling...

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    Any chance you can post pictures? Might be able to tell by that. Especially if you put a ruler next to the quilts

Hammock
    WBBB XLC UL DL
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Wooki, UGQ
    Suspension
    Becket straps
    Images
    I got help measuring and it looks to be 3.5" which would make it 0°. With the weight being right for 0° standard fill, I will assume that is what it is unless SG gets back to me and says differently.

Thanks all.

• + New Posts