Hammocks and Dogs

I'm new to this forum and also new to hammock camping. Converting to hammock from many years in a tent. At 70, I just can't sleep on the ground anymore. I've been on a couple overnighters with my Banyan bridge hammock. I'm now looking to include my 25 pound Wire Haired dachshund in my backpacking adventures. He is now 7 and is my constant companion and wounded game animal tracker.

I apologize if this topic has been discussed in the past, I'm just unable to find information with the search engine. Looking for suggestions on how to progress. My initial thought is to have "Chuck" sleep in hammock with me and concerned about the hammock material, Hexon 1.6. My first thought is to purchase a Flex Mat sleeping pad to protect the hammock. Looking for good insight and suggestions or what has worked for hammockers with dogs.

Thanks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Hello larasea! I know quite a few folks who bring their pups into the hammock with them, and as long as 25 pounds plus your weight <350 pounds, you should be good to go. Of course you'll want to keep your pup's nails trimmed and "rounded".

I purchased a pup tent from Dutchware gear for my dog because she's way too fidgety to be in the hammock with. I put some closed-cell foam and reflectix material underneath, and have a synthetic quilt that she hardly ever stays under. Another option is the Cave Creek Pet Palace. Hope that helps!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    12' HG Journey
    Insulation
    Wooki 20*
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Dutchware+tent

Here's a link from another thread on the topic. I still like using the dutchware pup tent, but it's admittedly easier for everyone if my lab sleeps in the tent with my wife and daughter when they come along since he's likes to be close.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    Hello larasea! I know quite a few folks who bring their pups into the hammock with them, and as long as 25 pounds plus your weight <350 pounds, you should be good to go. Of course you'll want to keep your pup's nails trimmed and "rounded".

I purchased a pup tent from Dutchware gear for my dog because she's way too fidgety to be in the hammock with. I put some closed-cell foam and reflectix material underneath, and have a synthetic quilt that she hardly ever stays under. Another option is the Cave Creek Pet Palace. Hope that helps!
    Thank you for the response. I looked at the pup tent and going to see how him in my hammock works. He does not sleep in my bed so we will have to see how it goes. I've looked at the options and just concerned with him in the pup tent. He is a hunting dog and concerned he may get rowdy in the middle of the night.

Thank you. The pup tent looks like a solid alternative to in the hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Hang Williams View Post
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Dutchware+tent

Here's a link from another thread on the topic. I still like using the dutchware pup tent, but it's admittedly easier for everyone if my lab sleeps in the tent with my wife and daughter when they come along since he's likes to be close.
    The pup tent looks like a solid alternative. Thanks

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light &amp; waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have used a Cave Creek Pet Palace especially when bugs are bad, an inexpensive Amazon Alcott pup tent that I used either with the included poles or suspended without the poles, or just put down a pad for her to sleep on. However, my border collie often prefers to roll her own spot.

• + New Posts