HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps

Quilt altering

Is there anyone that can take existing quilts and open them up and add in some overstuff?
    I would be interested even if it ended up with a slightly shorter quilt..
    Just something I have been pondering.. the quilt brand no longer exists sadly or I would ask her.
    My DIY Pulk Project
    http://www.landofrath.com/?p=573

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    If "her" is Leigh-Lo", don't mess up that quilt. I have added a little down to mine, but I did so carefully. I have also modified and added down to JrB quilts to make them fit my bridge hammocks. Tell us more.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    If "her" is Leigh-Lo", don't mess up that quilt. I have added a little down to mine, but I did so carefully. I have also modified and added down to JrB quilts to make them fit my bridge hammocks. Tell us more.
    Indeed this set is a coveted Leigh-Lo set
    I have several sets of her quilts.. And I do love them..
    But my 30 degree set just feels like it needs just a bit more filling to me.
    I would honestly own more of her quilts if she still made them.
    My DIY Pulk Project

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    If your top quilt is like mine, there are three full length longitudinal tubes along each side, and the center section is karo step construction. If you wanted to add down to the side tubes, you'd need to open each of them individually and measure equal amounts of down for each one. I didn't feel I needed to add down to the sides, because they bunch together next to me in my bridge hammock. Also, my fitted underquilt extends all the way up to the edges of the hammock, helping with side insulation. I did add down to the center section, where the karo step construction permits shifting the down evenly after it's sewn shut. I untied the bungee cord that closed the foot end and cut a 3" slit about 4" up from the gathered end. My method of transferring down is the vacuum cleaner tube taped with mesh to suck down out of bulk packaging, then using a homemade piston to empty the collected down into the quilt. The 3" slit is all that's needed to insert the end of the tube into the quilt. This allows me to weigh the down as it's sucked into the tube, which is necessary for complicated quilts. For Karo step you don't need precise measurement, so you could cut a 6" slit and transfer down by the fistful.
    Karo step mod to add down.jpg

You have good taste in gear. (I use a gargoyle tarp, too.) In the unlikely event that you want to get rid of stuff, let me know. As it's unlikely, just put me in your will.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Mine appears to only have 3 sections.. A tube down each outer edge and a bigger middle section with what I am guessing is the "Karo" construction not knowing really what that is.. Doing the added down from the foot end is a smart idea since it would hide the repair easily.. But I don't really sew just interested in added a bit more.. I know many people treasure her quilts and I do to a point but its just a tool to me and if altering makes it meet my demands better that means it will get used more and that is the whole point.

My Gargoyle *tarp was an experiment that worked for me.. Sewed in a "skylight" good peace of gear and has never leaked..

I might unload a few quilts soon though, I have more than I think I will ever use and another one on the way lol.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    If your top quilt is like mine, there are three full length longitudinal tubes along each side, and the center section is karo step construction. If you wanted to add down to the side tubes, you'd need to open each of them individually and measure equal amounts of down for each one. I didn't feel I needed to add down to the sides, because they bunch together next to me in my bridge hammock. Also, my fitted underquilt extends all the way up to the edges of the hammock, helping with side insulation. I did add down to the center section, where the karo step construction permits shifting the down evenly after it's sewn shut. I untied the bungee cord that closed the foot end and cut a 3" slit about 4" up from the gathered end. My method of transferring down is the vacuum cleaner tube taped with mesh to suck down out of bulk packaging, then using a homemade piston to empty the collected down into the quilt. The 3" slit is all that's needed to insert the end of the tube into the quilt. This allows me to weigh the down as it's sucked into the tube, which is necessary for complicated quilts. For Karo step you don't need precise measurement, so you could cut a 6" slit and transfer down by the fistful.
    Karo step mod to add down.jpg

You have good taste in gear. (I use a gargoyle tarp, too.) In the unlikely event that you want to get rid of stuff, let me know. As it's unlikely, just put me in your will.
    Last edited by Gary_R; 04-24-2023 at 22:59.
    My DIY Pulk Project

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    https://automatikio.s3.amazonaws.com...jpg?1499708807

A Karo step quilting technique is numerous small areas sewn inside the quilt forming little pockets of down holding areas. But they are open pockets, so to speak on the edges, so you can move down to and fro.
    Regular baffles will be long tubes running width or length wise. Or some do a zig zag baffle.

PS- you are the owner of a Garygoyle TARP. Not a quilt. Gary + gargoyle (see what I did there)

What I’d recommend is laying the quilt out and massaging the down around in the “karo” areas. Most likely the down has shifted around into some pockets that are causing thinner/cold issues.
    Hold the quilt up to window and see if there are spots not as filled. Push overfilled areas towards the thin spots. Shake and fluff repeatedly to help “re-loft” the thinner possibly clumped down. Even tossing the quilt into the dryer NO HEAT, with a couple clean tennis balls will bang around the down and works wonders and re-fluffing a quilt. 5 minutes is plenty, in most cases.

If that fails, send me a PM and I’ll open up your quilt and add some down.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Lol didn't even realize I typed that..

Great to see your still on here!
    My DIY Pulk Project

Hammock
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gargoyle View Post
    https://automatikio.s3.amazonaws.com...jpg?1499708807

A Karo step quilting technique is numerous small areas sewn inside the quilt forming little pockets of down holding areas. But they are open pockets, so to speak on the edges, so you can move down to and fro.
    Regular baffles will be long tubes running width or length wise. Or some do a zig zag baffle.

PS- you are the owner of a Garygoyle TARP. Not a quilt. Gary + gargoyle (see what I did there)

What I’d recommend is laying the quilt out and massaging the down around in the “karo” areas. Most likely the down has shifted around into some pockets that are causing thinner/cold issues.
    Hold the quilt up to window and see if there are spots not as filled. Push overfilled areas towards the thin spots. Shake and fluff repeatedly to help “re-loft” the thinner possibly clumped down. Even tossing the quilt into the dryer NO HEAT, with a couple clean tennis balls will bang around the down and works wonders and re-fluffing a quilt. 5 minutes is plenty, in most cases.

If that fails, send me a PM and I’ll open up your quilt and add some down.
    To be honest its always felt a bit light to me since day one.. it might just be me and I could just purchase a different set
    but these were among the first quilts I ever purchased.

BTW your inbox is full and I cant send you a pm lol
    My DIY Pulk Project

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images