Dutch Halfzip
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Katabatic, EE, HG
    Suspension
    UHMWPE

Maybe this is a hush-hush topic

I usually use turtle ties with 1" Venom webbing, or if the distance is too much for the length of Venom, an extension of dynaglide from a MSH to the turtle tie. This has worked fine.

But the hole on the TT can be a bit small to quickly pass the Venom through, and cumbersome to quickly adjust the height of the hammock. So I'm thinking of the Titanium loop alien, XL.

Fugalster said that the strength of the aluminum TT exceeds 7/64 amsteel, and that a titanium one would be far stronger than that. But LA says clearly to not use their RCA devices for body weight. I'm thinking LA is just playing it safe? I only found two, maybe three, references to someone using an XL LA for hammock suspension, hence the question. Essentially only one picture, one video, and once mentioned in a review.

So how popular are the XL Loop aliens for suspension use? Do they hold slippery Venom webbing?
    Last edited by geokite; 04-18-2023 at 20:17.

Images
    I am not familiar with Venom Webbing, however...

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1995882

With the Loop Aliens or Turtles the failures will be in the material used in the lines for the suspension, rather than metal fatigue.

Rope thimbles and low friction rings are used to elevate these pinch friction points with Dyneema.

If Dyneema is used, it begins to slip under load and some individual plastic strands will begin to heat up and will eventually sever.

Given the high static load minimum break ratings of 7/64" or 1/8" Dyneema, makes it a very lightweight option if used within its design parameters.

Hammock
    DW Chameleon, WB Eldorado
    Tarp
    Thunder/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20/40
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckles
    I've been toying with the idea of swapping out the Stingerz and Wasp that I use for my tarps with something that doesn't bite and chew up the Zing-it lines as much. So, I've been looking at the small aluminum Loop Aliens. I get why they came out with the XL for larger diameter lines, but not why they also had the titanium XL considering they put a disclaimer that they're not for bearing body weight. I guess it comes down to the legal and product liability. Kinda pricey solution for getting rid of knots for a tarp ridgeline.

Anyways, I ended up on the Loop Alien site for the titanium XLs and was checking the review comments:
    10/11/2018
    Levi H.
    Amazing!They are great! I use them for hammock suspension with Amsteel. They are my favorite method. The ONLY criticism I have is that the creator had made a thicker heavier duty model at one point that I would’ve rather purchased. However, these are more than strong enough
    But then this guy:
    09/26/2017
    Derek Hansen
    Easy to use and rock solid
    I’ve been using LoopAlien for a few years and just love the devices. They are so simple yet easy to use. I use them to hang my tarps using a continuous Ridgeline, hold up a bear bag using the PCT method, and the Ti XL works great as a hammock suspension connector with a single line Amsteel 7/64.

Hammock
    Dutch Halfzip
    Tarp
    HG Standard
    Insulation
    Katabatic, EE, HG
    Suspension
    UHMWPE
    Quote Originally Posted by FLTurtle View Post
    I've been toying with the idea of swapping out the Stingerz and Wasp that I use for my tarps with something that doesn't bite and chew up the Zing-it lines as much. So, I've been looking at the small aluminum Loop Aliens. I get why they came out with the XL for larger diameter lines, but not why they also had the titanium XL considering they put a disclaimer that they're not for bearing body weight. I guess it comes down to the legal and product liability. Kinda pricey solution for getting rid of knots for a tarp ridgeline.

Anyways, I ended up on the Loop Alien site for the titanium XLs and was checking the review comments:

But then this guy:
    That was my thinking as well, that the LA would not abrade either Dynaglide or Venom as much as TT. I'm willing to exchange just over twice the weight (albit very small) for the LA and the increase in cost for potential ease of use.

Yeah, who is this Derek Hansen guy? What would he know?

Hammock
    DIY 1.7 MTN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    Incubator20,UGQ
    Suspension
    Huggers and Amstel
    It is a hush hush subject because Loop aliens are not safely made for hanging. There are other products made for this application. That being said, I changed all my hammocks (about 10) to Loop aliens about 4 years ago, and I have not had any problems with gathered end hammocks (240 lbs). I started with Ti XL LA, and once that worked I bought cheaper SS ones. I use a dyneema strap around the tree, then 7/16" amsteel to the LA, which is connected to the hammock amsteel loops. Basically a piece of amsteel secured to anything like a pole or a wall anchor works for me. The dyneema strap will even work in a LA without the amsteel when there are small trees and short distances between trees. Super easy to adjust, lock, and light weight, and packs small. The only problem I had is one bend a little bit on a bridge hammock, and I do not use them for bridges anymore. I am guessing if they do break though, they turn into a spring-loaded projectile that has a sharp edge. Overall, LA's are not made to safely support a person and it is at your own risk.

• + New Posts