Images

Need advice on Amsteel Hammock Suspension

I am using an Alpine Butterfly Loop so suspend from a carabiner, and need advice on how to best connect to the mini-spreader bar (using a 1/4" titanium rod inserted into Eastman Aluminum stakes).

In the image below, you can view the buried eye splice that that I am moving away from - due to the fact that I have hanging on a tripod system now, and the long bury is far too long. You can also see the Alpine Butterfly loop that will now be used, and the length of each side is 4.5-inches.

I have not yet found a suitable method of securing the two sides of the Alpine Butterfly through the holes on the Red stake heads, which are epoxied on to the titanium/aluminum tube combo. Not comfortable with trying to bury/stitch in such a short length.

IMG_1577.jpg

Weight is 182 lbs and the second image is my portable hammock stand.

IMG_1583.jpg

IMG_1582.jpg

I am a bit hesitant employing an overhand knot.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 04-14-2023 at 14:04.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Make a larger continuous loop, feeding the ends through the holes before you close the loop with as much bury as you want. Then add the Alpine Loop as the last step. One advantage of the Alpine knot is it can be tied in the middle of the line; you don't need access to the ends.

Or, if the tail on each side of the alpine knot were 5 inches long, I'd trust a 4-inch bury. I'd make an eye splice on each end, brummel lock and bury. Then feed the loop through the hole at that end of your rod and loop it back over the rod.

Or feed the single line through the hole and create the largest stopper knot you can tie (button, diamond, etc.).

I don't like the stopper knot idea as much because I've seen how they can shrink down over time/tension. I like the loop through the hole and bent back over the rod end; it provides the most flexibility (ease of replacement).
    Last edited by cougarmeat; 04-15-2023 at 11:38.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    Make a larger continuous loop, feeding the ends through the holes before you close the loop with as much bury as you want. Then add the Alpine Loop as the last step. One advantage of the Alpine knot is it can be tied in the middle of the line; you don't need access to the ends.
    The continuous loop idea appeals to me because I can tie the Alpine knot first, then feed each tag line end through each hole of the rod, and then finish the continuous loop bury and stitch it.

Finalization will be to run tension the hammock with 200 lbs of load, then use Yellow Zing-It to add "Stoppers" to prevent the Amsteel from sliding and shifting through the holes on the rod ends.

Monkey fists would look cool. I am using 1/8-inch Amsteel.

I have 8.5-inches of rod to complete the bury and stitching it would be easy, once loading it with a tight bury was accomplished.
    Last edited by joe_guilbeau; 04-16-2023 at 01:09.

Thinking about various things that could be done after threading the line through the hole to keep it from coming back through, most are like the various stopper knots used on soft shackles, so look at those.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Maybe instead of yellow zing-it stoppers, use a smaller cord like Dynaglide or EmmaKites 1.8 mm dyneema and thread it through the holes before splicing it into a somewhat larger continuous loop. Then tie your butterfly knot in the doubled loop, not just one side.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPhun View Post
    Thinking about various things that could be done after threading the line through the hole to keep it from coming back through, most are like the various stopper knots used on soft shackles, so look at those.
    Looking at the Estar knot in dyneema, however I am unsure if doing a bury and stitching with each end rather that each end as a Estar stopper offer any pro's and con's against each other.

Leaning towards the Estar as a stopper knot as it is easier than a bury.

Thanks!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    Maybe instead of yellow zing-it stoppers, use a smaller cord like Dynaglide or EmmaKites 1.8 mm dyneema and thread it through the holes before splicing it into a somewhat larger continuous loop. Then tie your butterfly knot in the doubled loop, not just one side.
    I am lost here, not real good with splicing dyneema, as I exclusively use 1/8th dyneema as it is easier for me to work with old arthritic fingers.

I thinks that you are technologically superior in splicing than I will ever be. Let me look up the Dynaglide and EmmaKites to see what these are.

I like the idea of using the !/8-inch dyneema for a bury, once through the holes. To my way of thinking, this would add additional support behind the rod, rather than having to support the hammock/individual weight from the ends of the rod with Estar stopper knots.

On the other hand, two Estar stopper knots... even I could manage that.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    The reason I suggested putting the loop on the rods first, is you can tie the Butterfly knot right at the center. But if your loop is allowed to slide, it will "find" the center. My only concern then is your line will be making a, weighted, shape 90° turn after it goes through the hole in the rod. So you'll want to soften that corner a bit.

I might use a 2.2 or 1.75mm line for a structural ridgeline but for the main suspension, I wouldn't use anything less than a 7/64th or 1/8th line.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

• + New Posts