Tarp
    Villey
    Insulation
    inf pad, quilts
    Suspension
    Bear Butt, ridgeln

Hammock ridgeline tension question

Greetings!

I've seen many youtube videos recommending a specific tension or degree of twist or slack in the ridgeline for a hammock. This is fine when the trees are fairly close together, but in situations where the trees are farther apart it seems that the ridge line then needs to take on a greater amount of the work in order for the hammock itself to maintain the same degree of curvature. When I first encountered this I thought that was the whole point of a structural ridge line, to take on the weight when needed so the hammock curve is consistent.

I have found that as trees get rather apart, moving the straps up higher on the trees helps to ease the tension on the ridgeline.

What is the thought behind keeping the specific amount of tension in the ridgeline? Is it to protect the hammock, or to avoid having the ridgeline snap or something? Would love to hear some input on this, thanks!

-Kent

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Hey feller. This video may give some insight to your queries~
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Kent, your thoughts in the first two paragraphs are correct. Many hammocks with ridgelines have not been designed to fulfill these structural needs, so the distinction between a true structural ridgeline and what I call "an indicator ridgeline" has been lost.

Hammock
    OneWind 11' Zipper
    Tarp
    Villey
    Insulation
    inf pad, quilts
    Suspension
    Bear Butt, ridgeln
    Thanks all for the input, much appreciated!

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    Depending upon the ridgeline material, it is either JUST a long yardstick - something to tell you when you are about right on your hammock end distance - or it's made of stronger stuff (Amsteel) that will hold additional forces if your hang angle becomes shallower than the usual 30°. You've discovered that the further apart the trees, the higher you must go to keep the 30°-ish hang. Reach is the limiting factor for acceptable tree distance for some of us. Though I think in terms of "hammock", for me, the tarp is the driver. The tarp will need at least 12 - 14 feet and ideally be clear of brush on either side for staking out. At times that was a more difficult criterion than I'd imagined. I mean, how hard can it be; there are trees everywhere.

I've determined how high I like to reach. then I use the hammock hang calculator to determine the maximum tree distance that's comfortable for me.

https://theultimatehang.com/calculator/

Back to your ridgeline - the force doesn't go away with a structural ridgeline. They are transferred from the connection to the tree, down the suspension line, then to the (Amsteel) ridgeline. So check everything in that path to make sure it's up to the job.

But it's best, when possible, to try for that 30° because it's the easiest on your gear.
    In order to see what few have seen, you must go where few have gone. And DO what few have done.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    I use 1/8 inch amsteel on some of my hammock ridgelines. Yes, I now know, its overkill
    Sometimes my hammock ridgeline is tight, when I’m in hammock. Can pluck a note on ridgeline-its a deep sound. Hahaha
    I get close to 30* hang angle, but not perfect.
    Cougarmeat knows what he’s talking about.
    Those forces increase as the hang angle gets flatter.

So far, my tree straps, suspension, hammock, and ridgeline have not snapped or broken.

Have those forces disappeared?
    Not entirely! Those forces are transferred to trees we are using. Only problem is—could snap a tree and bring it down on my head—with deadly results possible. This is documented, in text and video. There have been some deaths from trees being pulled over onto hammock campers while in their hammocks!

I said not entirely! How can this be?
    Have some of those forces dissipated over time, as I hang in my hammock?
    When I get in hammock, the straps, suspension, ridgeline and hammock stretch and settle downwards—changing the angle of hang slightly from when I first got in hammock. Depending on the trees, those trees might lean a bit inwards—further reducing flatter angle of hang—closer towards 30* hang angle.

But if someone hangs a hammock with a flat angle of hang—spang tight ridgeline—just getting in hammock will not magically return hang angle to 30*
    Be safe out there, hammock friends, live many more days enjoying the great wilderness

Hammock
    OneWind 11' Zipper
    Tarp
    Villey
    Insulation
    inf pad, quilts
    Suspension
    Bear Butt, ridgeln
    Wow, great information! I will strive to play it cool and not stress the system more than necessary.

• + New Posts