WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Cross hammock / hammocktent question

Heres a question for anyone out there that owns a cross hammock or hammock tent 90 degree hammock. 1. Do these hammocks work well for side sleepers? 2. Can you sleep without a pad? (Can you sleep on your side without a pad?). 3. Does a longitudinal baffle pad such as an exped dura work? Thx! (Exploring an idea- not sure where its going to go!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    I have experience in Hammoktent 90 degree and a DIY 90 degree. I own(ed) a number of GEs and a bridge (WBRR). IMHO, the 90s offer the most comfortable side sleeping for me. As far as sleeping without under insulation it would be no different than sleeping in any other style hammock without under insulation. Living in a temperate climate, sleeping without under insulation is not particularly feasible. I'm not experienced with living/hammock hanging in the hot climes. I experimented with a number of different pad styles including longitudinal and latitudinal tube styles. Plus Sea to Summit's sort of hybrid design (not recommended). Both work fine. However, my personal preference was for Exped's longitudinal tubes. If longitudinal make sure the outer tubes are insulated (the Syn/Downmat 5 series were not).

Lastly, let me say that a number of years ago I developed an innovative 90 degree design. Unfortunately, I shared that design with a vendor who requested keeping the information under wraps. A couple of years later and it became apparent that he was not capable of moving forward with the design. Subsequently, this year I have sent the design to another vendor who has a reputation for pushing the envelope. He also expressed interest and a desire to pursue R&D on the design. It is my hopes that he will be able to bring the design into fruition. If not, that is the way it goes in the world of hammock hanging. However, I will continue to personally enjoy the innovations.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Thx for the info! (And good luck with your 90 degree hammock - I hope we see it in production soon!)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    Hammock Tent/SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tarptent/Thunderfl
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Kevlar/B. Hitch
    I've tried lots of different pads in my 90 degree. Longer tubes stretch the hammock a touch longer. The side by side tubes stretch it slightly wider, while shortening it. I find the pads like nemo, thermarest etc more comfortable, but at 6'1" the hammock is barely long enough for me and makes the length ever slightly too short. I'm messing with a Nemo Tensor. I haven't takes a trip with it, just laid in the backyard, but it could be the best of both worlds. One nice thing about a nemo style pad is you can pretty much stick your legs out and stand up, since the pad will bend. It makes getting in/out easier.

I couldn't imagine sleeping in my 90degree without a pad. To me, the pad gives the hammock structure. Unlike Amok, it isn't required, but it isn't comfortable for me. As always, YMMV, and I too have been waiting patiently for @oltraildog s design

• + New Posts