Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Images

My Stingerz Bite (maybe too well)

Hello HF crew - I'm having tarp suspension issues and am looking for some guidance.

I recently picked up a pair of DW Stingerz and was super stoked to put them to work. Stringing up the tarp with the Stingerz (end tie outs) was an absolute dream, but for the life of me, I can't get them to release. The Lash-It binds-up, making it near impossible to undo the top bite.

The first dozen times, I had to wrap the Lash-It around a toggle to get enough grip to pop it out, and even then it was still a battle. Today, I had to pack up in the rain, and it wouldn't release. I was wet and cranky, so I just cut the line and moved on. I can't imagine trying to do this in cold weather.

Watching YouTube videos on how to use the Stingerz - dang - when Dutch does it, it's smooth as butter.

I know the DW bling has a huge following, so I know they work - any tips or pointers on what I'm doing wrong?

I tried Zing-It with the same result.

Should I get in there with a file and try to open it up a bit?

Clearly Clueless,
    Bdanz
    “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” Nelson Mandela

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Sometimes (I'd assume based on slight variances in the manufacture process) some of the antennae on dutch ware titanium pieces can be a little tight. You should be able to fix it by using either a flathead screwdriver or a pair of pliers and gently bending it open a tiny bit. Don't need to do much.

Or at least that's been my experience ... YMMV

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    Release the line from the hook first (take some tension off the line by pulling it or lifting it up) before doing the antennae. That works for me.

I wrap the loose end of the line around a tent peg a couple of times then give it a little tug, works great with cold wet hands & with with gloves on.

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Images
    Whoop! Taking it off of the hook, first, worked for sure. I also opened up the antennae just a touch, and now it works both ways.

Thanks so much for the suggestions - I knew there must be a way!

I hope this thread can help others, too.

BDanz
    “There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered.” Nelson Mandela

Hammock
    Eyeing the chameleon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I've had this issue as well, thanks for the post!

Hammock
    2 DW Chameleon 1 bug other not
    Tarp
    Wide Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    HG under Zpk 0 top
    I emailed Dutch, and that's what they said to do. And It work. All 4 of the wasps, and the one stinergz. All was the same, till I put them in a vice and carefully used a screwdriver. Bought a wasp set 4 years ago. and never had the releasing problem with them.

Hammock
    Eyeing the chameleon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Dutch said to use the screwdriver/vice method?

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Images
    Welp, I think I'm switching back to the good ole Trucker's Hitch for my ridgeline and the Becket Hitch for the hammock.

On a Memorial Day weekend hang, I had too pull so hard to release the stingerz bite, that I actually snapped the Lash It! lol. Fortunately has some extra 550 for Day 2.

Honestly, I think the bling really is cool, but it's starting seem like an unnecessary piece of kit that just adds a potential fail-point. I'm not interested in having to wrench on fasteners to make them function with whatever cordage I'm using.

But again, these are widely popular and with great result; I'm not fool enough to think I'm not doing something wrong, but hey.

PXL_20230528_203103400.jpg

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdanz View Post
    Welp, I think I'm switching back to the good ole Trucker's Hitch for my ridgeline and the Becket Hitch for the hammock.

On a Memorial Day weekend hang, I had too pull so hard to release the stingerz bite, that I actually snapped the Lash It! lol. Fortunately has some extra 550 for Day 2.

Honestly, I think the bling really is cool, but it's starting seem like an unnecessary piece of kit that just adds a potential fail-point. I'm not interested in having to wrench on fasteners to make them function with whatever cordage I'm using.

But again, these are widely popular and with great result; I'm not fool enough to think I'm not doing something wrong, but hey.

PXL_20230528_203103400.jpg
    You can just file or dremel the slots on the bling a wee bit and all is good and easy for the most part. I had too on a couple. Still use them.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast