Thread: New Member

Hey!

I am new here, and new to hammocks.
    I have a mackenzie hammock I got really cheap to check if it was for me.
    And I must say, just with that cheap gear I slept way better than I ever did in a tent.

I am from the west coast of Norway where it does rain a lot.
    So I have been looking for some upgrades for the tarp and the hammock.
    I am about 5`9 and about 240 lbs.

And have figured this far it is between the dutchware chameleon or the dream hammock sparrow.
    Feel free to suggest something else.

Anyways looking forward to my journey in this field.
    And will be fun to see what type of projects you guys have.

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Aren’t y’all home to great chess champion, Magnus Carlsen? Looks like you are off to a great start!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Welcome to the forums, ResidentSleeper! I am surprised you didn't mention being interested in a popular product from your country, the Amok Draumr! Amok Equipment | Award-winning Camping Hammock Tents

I think you'd have lots of satisfaction from either the Chameleon or the Sparrow, as both of them have been favorably reviewed and used in the hammocking community. I own the Chameleon and the Draumr and love them both for different reasons. The Chameleon is the ultimate in terms of configurability in the hammock market. With all the add-ons available from Dutchware Gear, you can grow the hammock as your needs evolve. I love the Draumr for certain trips because I am a side sleeper and it's fantastic for that.

If you haven't already done so, another recommendation would be to watch Shug's video series on YouTube for people who are new to hammock camping. You can learn a lot from watching those!

Welcome again!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Welcome! You mentioned "projects". There are numerous DIY threads here with instructions for things as simple as a tablecloth/no sew gathered end to plans with exact measurements and ratios. Have fun with the journey and post pictures of your trips-I'll probably never get to Norway, but I'd love to see what camping there looks like.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Town's End / DH Sparrow
    Tarp
    Winter Haven 13
    Insulation
    HG, SLD, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome to the forums!

If you are a side sleeper, I'd seriously look into Towns End Bridge Hammocks. I have a Sparrow and absolutely love it, but the Luxury Bridge that Just Bill makes is simply amazing. You can even sleep on your stomach, too. They are a little on the pricier side, but well worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    Aren’t y’all home to great chess champion, Magnus Carlsen? Looks like you are off to a great start!
    Indeed we are, chess is really fun to watch too
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    Welcome to the forums, ResidentSleeper! I am surprised you didn't mention being interested in a popular product from your country, the Amok Draumr! Amok Equipment | Award-winning Camping Hammock Tents

I think you'd have lots of satisfaction from either the Chameleon or the Sparrow, as both of them have been favorably reviewed and used in the hammocking community. I own the Chameleon and the Draumr and love them both for different reasons. The Chameleon is the ultimate in terms of configurability in the hammock market. With all the add-ons available from Dutchware Gear, you can grow the hammock as your needs evolve. I love the Draumr for certain trips because I am a side sleeper and it's fantastic for that.

If you haven't already done so, another recommendation would be to watch Shug's video series on YouTube for people who are new to hammock camping. You can learn a lot from watching those!

Welcome again!
    I have been looking at the draumr actually, but it seems kind of heavy.
    And there is some other parts I really dont favour too much about it.
    Like that it use a matress instead of an UQ, I am however a side sleeper after I broke my shoulder on an unfortunate trip.
    So maybe not the worst idea.

Yeah I have been watching Shug, he is a really funny dude.
    And have some good information for sure, especially for us beginners.

Thanks very much for the welcome
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Welcome! You mentioned "projects". There are numerous DIY threads here with instructions for things as simple as a tablecloth/no sew gathered end to plans with exact measurements and ratios. Have fun with the journey and post pictures of your trips-I'll probably never get to Norway, but I'd love to see what camping there looks like.
    Charlotte
    Yeah I have personally been looking at rigging a structural ridgeline for my current hammock, just to see if it will do anything for my current hang.
    At the moment I am trying to find the right rope, I found a local store with dyneema rope.
    But read someone say it is not really easy to tie, and amsteel would be better?

nord2_3.jpg
    nord1_3.jpg

Here are some from my first hang this year, I am looking to catch the milky way in a good framing too.
    These are just from a phone though so not the best quality.
    But I have to wait until the end of summer, because of how the sun is positioned here.

Quote Originally Posted by Donfish06 View Post
    Welcome to the forums!

If you are a side sleeper, I'd seriously look into Towns End Bridge Hammocks. I have a Sparrow and absolutely love it, but the Luxury Bridge that Just Bill makes is simply amazing. You can even sleep on your stomach, too. They are a little on the pricier side, but well worth it!
    I will have a good research on it, thank you very much for the tip

Hammock
    DH Darien
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Palisade/Habanero
    Suspension
    Myers Becket Hitch
    Welcome to HF!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG DCF std w/doors
    Insulation
    WM TQ, UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    As far as the weight of the Amok Draumr, the UL version I have is 729g (1.6 pounds), stuff sack is 26g, and the UL Fjol pad is 617g (1.36 pounds). Not too much difference from other hammock setups, really, once you include the UQ. I hope you find your bliss!
    Iceman857

"An optimist is a man who plants two acorns and buys a hammock" - Jean de Lattre de Tassigny (French Army General in WWII)

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Those photos are amazing!! thanks!

Charlotte

Quote Originally Posted by bogardaw View Post
    Welcome to HF!
    Thank you very much
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman857 View Post
    As far as the weight of the Amok Draumr, the UL version I have is 729g (1.6 pounds), stuff sack is 26g, and the UL Fjol pad is 617g (1.36 pounds). Not too much difference from other hammock setups, really, once you include the UQ. I hope you find your bliss!
    Have been having a look at them and they seem nice.
    What I do not like is the sides, it seems a bit like the wind will blow in easily there.
    Also the soft fabric seems to be very thin.
    The regular version looks okay for me, but I am wondering how it packs compared to a regular hammock setup though.

I do like the idea of supporting a local buisness also.

And for sure I would sleep better in it, especially with my shoulder being as it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by xMagnolia View Post
    Those photos are amazing!! thanks!

Charlotte
    Hopefully I will get them better with time
    But many thanks, I hope you take a lot of pictures too and upload them here.
    I am quite new, so need some time to learn how to navigate around in here.

• + New Posts