Home Brew
    Tarp
    REI 12*12
    Insulation
    HG Incub REI top
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch buck

Howdy From West Tennessee

Hi Everyone, I am Candice. I live in the Memphis area now. Originally from West Texas where there are few "real" trees. My first hammock experience was 1994 in the army. The hammock was in some words great and others horrible. It was what I now know as a "gathered" end hammock made of netting like a wide hole fish net. Unless you put your sleeping bag or poncho liner in it it was uncomfortable. Not to mention you had to hang it tight and high in the cedars just to be a few inches off the ground. Still it was better than laying on the ground. Finding a grove of live oak trees was a godsend in those days.

Flashing forward about a year and half ago, I finally went camping for the first time after my divorce 6 years previous. Got a new tent, used a cot and was totally uncomfortable, wet from condensation and freezing. I had bought a hammock to replace that old net hammock and tried it out the second night out that trip. I was totally in love with the Grand Trunk hammock. Learning through this forum to not pull it tight and lay in the diagonal I slept all night and didn't have pains. I have not looked back since that trip. Now I am backpacking with a tarp, hammock and down insulation that took a while to obtain financially. I can say honestly I will never go back to a tent. Even the experiment when I visited my daughter and used a tent with air pads in 7 degree weather was not as comfy or fun as the hammock.

I am glad there is this forum that I did learn some things from based on my army days so many years ago. Friends and acquaintances think I am crazy or that I will fall out of. I never have fallen out of the hammock. I have fallen over hammock into the under-quilt once. thinking in the dark I was about to get into the hammock and all I had was the UQ. I have since made my own Hammock that is even more comfy than the Grand Trunk. The Grand Trunk is is not the 11 foot it claimed but at 9.5 foot. The one I made is 11.5 feet, not as wide and more comfy. All thanks to the readings on this forum.

Thanks for being here folks.
    Candice

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    CandiFrog, you’ve hopped off to a flying start.
    More than a few hammock campers in your neck of the woods. One thing about most military gear—it’s tough as nails, darn near indestructible.

You don’t have to be crazy, to be a hammock camper…
    But it helps!

Hammock
    Superior Hammock / Dutch / Majestic
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Superior Hammock
    Suspension
    SuperiorSuspension
    I got a great chuckle about the part of you falling into your UQ, I've definitely accidentally done that too. The ground was not an expected feeling haha.

Welcome to the group and these folks are a wealth of knowledge!

D

Hammock
    Home Brew
    Tarp
    REI 12*12
    Insulation
    HG Incub REI top
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch buck
    Old military gear is virtually indestructible. Its also heavy.
    Only met a couple that was hanging at a camp ground in September. Most other folks talk about it and wouldn't do it thinking the most uncomfortable or falling out.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG 20 Econ Phoenix
    Suspension
    Fiddling...
    Welcome! Congratulations on building your own, comfy, DIY hammock. That's something I just don't have the confidence or attention span to try. Try to get to a group hang. They're fun and people like to show off their rigs. You learn quite a bit.

Charlotte

Hammock
    Home Brew
    Tarp
    REI 12*12
    Insulation
    HG Incub REI top
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch buck
    Thanks for that info.
    Building one took about an hour. Just be sure the bobbin is full and change it out when you get about 4 runs of stitching done.
    I was a bit leary on my first sit down in it in the house. Was sure that the thin material would break. Nope. Got it all ready for the weekends trip now.
    As far as groups go, I tend to hike out to my camp sites. The kids these days are just to noisy through most the night to get any sleep. Not to mention the Runway lights from the motor homes.

• + New Posts