Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just acquired a Yobo Cricket stand. I'm a fan

it's pretty awesome.

I sleep exclusively in hammocks, started years ago with pipe steel hammock stands, which were super heavy and bulky. did not like them, but there weren't a lot of options.

then, I picked up a Tato stand which was an improvement but still heavy and nearly as bulky.

then, I tried a Tensa 4 which I still have/use and really like. once past the learning curve, it's easy to set up and stable (only got clamshelled once). it does need one solid anchor point and, while a drastic weight improvement over the prior options, still too heavy to backpack.

then, I tried the Tensa solo. a bit fiddly to set up, and very dependent on how solidly stakeable the ground is.

I live near slick rock desert areas (sandy with no reliable trees), have not been backpacking in them since leaving tents for hammocks. but, have a trip coming up, so started searching for options and found the cricket, which is heavy for backpacking, but half the weight of the tensa4 and free standing. it's not inexpensive, but I think you get what you pay for. a really well thought out design, high quality materials and construction, free standing, light enough to pack and walk with.

all the options are good for different uses. at home, I have a heavy pipe stand which is permanently set up in the bedroom. camping where trees are available, no stand. car camping without tree access, especially on sloping terrain, the tensa4 seems the way to go. otherwise, cricket. had to travel (by air) recently, and the cricket was super easy to take as carry on.

great to live in a time with no much innovation and so many options.

cheers
    Last edited by dkurfiss; 03-31-2023 at 07:02.

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Never heard of the Cricket stand, and it looks very interesting. Pricey but seems worth it given the materials. I'd wonder how well it does in wind, but I guess you can't have light weight and also heavy wind-resistance for something like this.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    "Pricey" is a major understatement - but I guess if you're in the desert you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck with the stand!
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    I have removed a couple of messages from this thread. Members cannot sell or offer to purchase items outside of the Market Place area.
    Deb
    TOS Terms of Service Link
    Guidelines to New For Sale Section Link
    How to obtain access & maintain your threads in For Sale Section Link
    Guidelines for Want to Buy (WTB) Section
    Hammock Acronyms

"The older I get, the more I appreciate my rural childhood. I spent a lot of time outdoors, unsupervised, which is a blessing." Barbara Kingsolver

Hammock
    banana-shaped
    Tarp
    greenish
    Insulation
    yes
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Quote Originally Posted by KBr00ks View Post
    Never heard of the Cricket stand, and it looks very interesting. Pricey but seems worth it given the materials. I'd wonder how well it does in wind, but I guess you can't have light weight and also heavy wind-resistance for something like this.
    The lighter the stand, the more it requires anchoring or weighting to not blow over in wind when a hammock is attached. The YOBO stands are very well made. I saw a teaser photo on their social media of their newest Kickstarter Hive, with what looked like a 14' Mayan, an 11' camping GE, and a bridge hammock installed, all at the same time and occupied. We're competitors, but I have to give credit where due: that's impressive.
    Last edited by Latherdome; 03-31-2023 at 16:55.

Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    "Pricey" is a major understatement - but I guess if you're in the desert you gotta do what you gotta do. Good luck with the stand!
    yes, definitely not cheap. I sleep every night in a hammock, though, so something as light, compact, and well designed (that lets me travel and backpack into hammock-inhospitable places) seems well worth it to me. I mean, mattresses alone can be more expensive than the cricket, and I expect it to last my remaining lifetime unless I do something foolish to break it. if I amortize the yearly cost over my hoped-for lifespan, it's not too bad annually . . .

Hammock
    DIY ROBIC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat SilPoly
    Insulation
    down bag, Klymit
    Suspension
    Kevlar+Str.Anchors
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinglehopper View Post
    yes, definitely not cheap. I sleep every night in a hammock, though, so something as light, compact, and well designed (that lets me travel and backpack into hammock-inhospitable places) seems well worth it to me. I mean, mattresses alone can be more expensive than the cricket, and I expect it to last my remaining lifetime unless I do something foolish to break it. if I amortize the yearly cost over my hoped-for lifespan, it's not too bad annually . . .
    Spoken like a true gear junkie!

Hammock
    Whatever I'm in :)
    Tarp
    Good ol mil poncho
    Suspension
    20'L 1.5''w straps
    comparing the cost of the stand to a mattress is a good strategy to help me justify spending that kinda moo-lah lol. Great stand from what i've seen

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Dyneema, Silpoly
    Insulation
    HGear, Zpck,WB, EE
    Suspension
    Straps
    Has anyone tried the Cricket with a 10' hammock? The website suggests 11' or shorter but their user list only highlights 11 footers.
    John

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Walhallah 12ft
    Insulation
    LocoLibre/JRB
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Images
    Yep, use my 10ft Superior on it when I need an extra bed in an Airbnb. You need a little longer CL on the end or just use your suspension on the head end. But it totally works.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast